Author Topic: Distracted drivers  (Read 2379 times)

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Distracted drivers
« on: December 29, 2017, 04:11:54 PM »
Just another nerve rubbed raw by people who just CAN'T get away from that darn phone and CANNOT stay in their lane. I do not have to give details because you all have seen them in one form or another. Grrr!

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Distracted drivers
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2017, 03:00:17 AM »
Walking through the grocer's parking lot today with daughter.....thinking again of carrying a nice H&B ball bat to get phone-drivers attention.
But, in my coffee village, almost every driver will stop if a pedestrian even looks like they want to cross the street. It is the custom, there.
I do the same when passing through on my scooter. I often get a wave and a smile from the J Walkers.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

boo

• I hate censorship people manipulate you
    • View Profile
CROSSBOLT, you touched on a nerve
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2018, 01:28:51 PM »
I just had to sign in and post.
Bad drivers are my number one pet peeve.
I will be 68 years old in a few days. I have never in my life seen so many bad drivers on the road as now.
Every time me or the wife go out, we see infractions of all kinds. Where are these people getting their drivers licenses?.
Guess we are going to have to start calling these people out. They are maiming, killing people, and driving insurance rates up for everyone.
It makes me very angry that people are driving so careless.
300GTI black
Pro 2A - member GOA & NRA

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2018, 04:19:01 PM »
Happy, almost birthday, boo. 68 errr, still a youngster. A lot of this bad driving we see today, has it's roots in the 50's, with the advent of air conditioning and T.V. Now before you write me off as just another crazy old guy, let me try to explain. Before the above mentioned items became common place in our homes, we were outside doing things. We knew our neighbors and we helped them and cared about them and we respected their rights. As more things were sold to "modernize" our new contemporary life styles, we became a society of recluses. No one knew their neighbors any more and lost concern for them and their rights and welfare. That mentality carried over to our cars, which had many of the same amenities as our home. We have evolved into a society of isolationist and therefore
have much less concern for those around us. Think about it. Makes sense to me....
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

GLV55

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2018, 05:08:36 PM »
Well stated, Mac. No one just drives anymore. They barely drive while doing so many other things that take their minds off of the task at hand. The one big thing I love about riding is there are no distractions - no phone, no GPS, no radio/stereo, no fiddling with climate control, nothing. Just riding.
2014 Lance PCH 150
2007 Kymco People 150 (totaled by a drunk, Oct. 2013)
Nampa, ID

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2018, 06:16:51 PM »
I think the recluse mentality seems to hold true in apartment buildings and condominium complexes. At least that's been my observations. I know all my neighbors in my neighborhood, and have good relationships with most (admittedly a few are jerks). My wife and I just placed a Christmas card in the door of a family who just moved in. She's a single mom, and a college professor from Bulgaria. We're looking forward to meeting them personally.

Our connections to people vary from town to town, place to place and region to region. I don't think it's an absolute. I do agree with you that our reliance on technology has made us more socially entitled. Everyone uses cell phones in all situations, even when it's not appropriate. I once had to tell a student to put she phone away after she was done taking a test. It was the first thing she did when she finished, and was visibly pissed off that I told her she wasn't allowed to do that least she look up the answers online, or take a pic of the test as well. Again, she was pissed that she was denied her phone and had to sit and wait while being stuck with her own thoughts.

I've seen people check their phones in church, and of course any situation where they are stuck waiting for something. I wish there was an easy (and safe way) to mark a person's car, kind of like a Scarlett Letter that brands a car as a cell phone user. Maybe one day.

- Wolf

big blue

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2018, 07:33:12 PM »
I think that as scooter riders we are keenly aware of drivers on cell phones because our survival depends on it. We see the dumb antics that drivers and pedestrians do every time we venture out in traffic. The MSF acronym SIPDE goes through my head whenever I ride through the world. (See-Identify-Predict-Decide-Execute) BTW Happy New Year to all!
2012 Kymco Like 200i LX (Sold)  Salem, Oregon USA

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2018, 08:06:35 PM »
SIPDE is related to SMIDSY: Sorry Mister I Didn't See You!

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2018, 08:17:30 PM »
I think that as scooter riders we are keenly aware of drivers on cell phones because our survival depends on it. We see the dumb antics that drivers and pedestrians do every time we venture out in traffic. The MSF acronym SIPDE goes through my head whenever I ride through the world. (See-Identify-Predict-Decide-Execute) BTW Happy New Year to all!
Read that auto accident statistics are better for scooter and motorcycle riders, than for non riders.
We do in cars what we've learned to do on a scooter.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

PaulF

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2018, 10:05:07 PM »
Does anyone here use a helmet camera for recording bad drivers or near misses?  Have been thinking of getting one but not sure if it is a good idea.

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2018, 11:13:11 PM »
Does anyone here use a helmet camera for recording bad drivers or near misses?  Have been thinking of getting one but not sure if it is a good idea.
[/quote

I use one Paul. I think its a great idea! Its also kind of cool to be able to re-watch some memorable rides. You just never know what you're going to see out there.
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2018, 02:04:24 AM »
I've been using a Drift Ghost S for about 2 years, but not on a daily basis. I think its design -- cylindrical shape and rotating lens -- is better suited as a helmet cam than the GoPros. I've recently stated using 2 cameras -- one facing front on my helmet and one driver facing on my mirror to capture myself and the traffic behind me. Some action cams have a non-stop setting that will record over older footage allowing a rider to record constantly.

- Wolf

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2018, 03:02:54 AM »
When I was young, I got mad, then about middle age I got even and now in my old age I just try to get there.
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

PaulF

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2018, 06:09:11 AM »
Thanks Guys, was thinking of this one.  Not too expensive or bulky. 

https://www.sena.com/product/prism-tube/

boo

• I hate censorship people manipulate you
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2018, 02:14:21 PM »
When I was young, I got mad, then about middle age I got even and now in my old age I just try to get there.

I am not finished with my first cup of coffee this morning and you have me chuckling. I`m with you, otw s.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 02:17:12 PM by boo »
300GTI black
Pro 2A - member GOA & NRA

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()