Author Topic: Kymco Kiwi  (Read 798 times)

JJJoseph

• Kymco Sento
    • View Profile
Kymco Kiwi
« on: June 17, 2019, 07:46:34 PM »
After beating my Kymco Sento senseless trying to get just a little more speed, I finally broke another crankshaft and scrapped the entire machine. I then found a rare Kymco Kiwi from Taiwan, which is a 100cc Sento which is a real rocket compared to the 50cc Sento.  From a slight distance, the two machines look exactly alike, but the stock engine in the Kiwi is really snappy, capable of 95km/hr compared to the stock Sento's 45km/hr.  The Kiwi can manage local highways no problem.  But my question for the forum is"Where do I find tech information on the Kiwi?"  It looks like a bigger QMB engine, but it's obviously a real thumper compared to the 50cc version.  But there's no online information on the Kiwi, no forum topics, no parts information, no nothing (as the saying goes).  Does anybody on this forum follow the Kymco Kiwi?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 02:42:31 AM by JJJoseph »

big blue

• View Profile
Re: Kymco Kiwi
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2019, 09:43:03 PM »
2012 Kymco Like 200i LX (Sold)  Salem, Oregon USA

JJJoseph

• Kymco Sento
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2019, 06:25:00 AM »
Cyclepedia has an online manual
Thanks, I found that quite quickly. Some differences are obvious, like the carburetor is a bigger 20mm Keihin, and the tires are slightly larger 100/80-10. But it doesn't say (for example) if the replaceable parts (rollers, variator, clutch, belt, etc) are the same as the regular Sento since the Cyclepedia doesn't have any parts info.

JJJoseph

• Kymco Sento
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2019, 09:15:13 AM »
Does anybody on this forum follow the Kymco Kiwi?

After searching for a few weeks, I've found that the Kiwi is a Sento with a 100cc Kymco Mongoose ATV engine.  The drive case is bigger than the Sento case, but the clutch and engine are straight out of the Mongoose. This is what a small scooter should be - and it's not fuel-injected!

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2019, 10:03:56 AM »
That makes YOU, JJ, the resident expert on these two models and interchanges! All hail JJ! Good show!a one hundred 'sleeper' in a 50 cc frame! Hotrod!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

CaptonZap

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2019, 04:27:00 PM »
Haw! Finally, a resident expert I can question.
When you say you beat your Sento senseless, what goads did you apply?
I am trying to get my Sento somewhere North of 25 MPH, without much luck. (2009 model)
So far, a de-restricted CDI and variator sleeve. No joy.
A 100 cc kit is on order.
The carb is a Keihin with a 19 mm outlet ID, and the inlet port in the present 69 mm valve head is 16 mm, so I'm thinking that the carb can handle the added cc's. I am assuming that the new head will have a larger intake port.
Was an over rev condition a contributing factor in your Sento's demise? Should I invest in a tach? A rear gear change?
Any advice for those of us following in your footsteps?
Thanks, it's great not feeling lonely anymore. ;D

CZ
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 04:29:38 PM by CaptonZap »

JJJoseph

• Kymco Sento
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2019, 02:41:00 AM »

When you say you beat your Sento senseless, what goads did you apply?

I truly beat it senseless in my quest for 9500rpm & 80kim/hr, using every trick known to mankind.  Everything in the attached photo added to the output, but in the end the crankshaft always broke at the flywheel end. And once the variator exploded, cracking the crankcase at the other end. I broke two crankshafts before accepting defeat! The Kiwi appears to have a much sturdier ATV engine, variator, 130mm clutch, etc, the same as the Kymco Mongoose/Kawasaki KFX.  Much better suited for extreme abuse!  I'm still trying to figure out undocumented parts such as the starter and the carburetor (both really excellent).

Then I noticed that there's a 140cc BBK for the Kymco Mongoose and it looks like it will fit . . .
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 02:58:39 AM by JJJoseph »

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()