Author Topic: Valve Clearance  (Read 1088 times)

Geezyrideer1995

• View Profile
Valve Clearance
« on: October 19, 2021, 09:34:31 PM »
I knew that the valve clearance would not need adjustment , But I went through the motions anyhow and sure enough the clearance was right on at 004. The book said to have the shop do it. But I am 100 miles from the shop. And have been doing valve clearance check/adj since 1950. Shop not doing it might raise some warranty Q's. But who needs them. Besides,  Seattle Scooter Center has a jerk working there that gets his kicks screwing over Senior citizens.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Valve Clearance
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2021, 11:26:19 PM »
No worries about voiding the warranty. You may do your own servicing and still secure the warranty. Keep records (and receipts of parts /oils purchased) -- I use the back pages in my owner's manuals.
Doing valves since 1950??...you another fellow VW nut?

You know the story - don't screw it up - otherwise no worries.  :) :)
(one time we had a fellow setting the valves on the wrong stroke; another drained the oil - forgot to replace)

Stig

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2021, 01:47:15 PM »
I put over 33,000 miles on a Super 8 150.  The valves did occasionally need adjustment but there was no need to check them every 2500 miles like the manual said.  My experience with a variety of bikes is that you can normally double the Manufacturer's recommended valve check interval without any issues.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2021, 02:04:02 PM »
What Stig and Klaviator said!

Seattle Scooter sounds like the old Draeger Harley shop of the sixties! Those boys had an attitude that would ruffle the feathers on a brass chicken. They were a contributor to my sour attitude towards dealers and their techs.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Geezyrideer1995

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2021, 12:59:55 PM »
I put over 33,000 miles on a Super 8 150.  The valves did occasionally need adjustment but there was no need to check them every 2500 miles like the manual said.  My experience with a variety of bikes is that you can normally double the Manufacturer's recommended valve check interval without any issues.

Yep, I agree. Most motorcycle valve clearance adj are done right around every 6000 miles

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2021, 01:48:07 PM »
Yep, I agree. Most motorcycle valve clearance adj are done right around every 6000 miles

Many modern motorcycles have valve check intervals of around 15,000 miles.  Many Yamaha's have a 26,600 mile interval and that includes the Yamaha Majesty Scooter.  Small scooters with screw and locknut valve trains need more frequent checks but not as often as the manuals often say.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Geezyrideer1995

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2021, 04:04:52 PM »
Many modern motorcycles have valve check intervals of around 15,000 miles.  Many Yamaha's have a 26,600 mile interval and that includes the Yamaha Majesty Scooter.  Small scooters with screw and locknut valve trains need more frequent checks but not as often as the manuals often say.
Best to do at 6000 miles because 26000 miles is way too far chancing that the valves sticking out and not closing properly are also possibly sticking out too far and being hit by the piston. And we all know what that means!

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2022, 02:31:51 AM »
Best to do at 6000 miles because 26000 miles is way too far chancing that the valves sticking out and not closing properly are also possibly sticking out too far and being hit by the piston. And we all know what that means!

I had a Yamaha that went 72,000 miles without a valve adjustment.  They were checked a couple of times but never needed adjustment. 
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2022, 05:54:52 AM »
Huh, I ain't no spring chicken and I do most of my own work. have never had a problem with Seattle Cycle on the occasions I've had 'em do stuff.  Usually tires, but once in a while something else.

Far as warranty issues.  Not a thing for maintenance; although recording that ya checked 'em, mileage and the date somewhere ain't a bad idea in case someone asks.

I did have the exhaust valve tighten up on my old S200 once over about 6k miles, same basic motor I believe.  It doesn't hurt to take a look now and again, but sounds like you've been doing this a while so you know the signs to watch for.

I knew that the valve clearance would not need adjustment , But I went through the motions anyhow and sure enough the clearance was right on at 004. The book said to have the shop do it. But I am 100 miles from the shop. And have been doing valve clearance check/adj since 1950. Shop not doing it might raise some warranty Q's. But who needs them. Besides,  Seattle Scooter Center has a jerk working there that gets his kicks screwing over Senior citizens.
2008 SYM HD200 "Niwanibiz"
2018 Suzuki Burgman AN650z "Bebaamaadizid"

k9 S200 (Blue) "Max" (Sold)
k8 SYM HD200 "Indigo" (Deceased)
k7 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Ohanzee" (Sold)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()