Author Topic: Had a bad accident  (Read 49863 times)

Forbes1964

• View Profile
Re: Had a bad accident
« Reply #375 on: January 21, 2018, 04:21:11 AM »
Another adventure in my continuing saga. On Thursday as I was climbing my topside creeper to access the top of an engine of a 4WD F250, my prosthetic foot slipped. (Thankfully, I was only on the first rung). I simply thought I’d just not positioned it properly. As I begin to walk away, I noticed it felt funny. Well, it BROKE. that’s why it slipped.
Advantages of a prosthesis.
1. No pain when the foot breaks.
2. No emergency room visit required.
3. When you go to the Prosthetist, he says “maybe I have one in the back I can attach to your leg until your replacement arrives. “
4. Your foot is covered by a 3 YEAR warranty against DEFECTS.
5. After about one hour, you can WALK out of the office better than you walked in and go right back to work and for a 2 mike walk.
6. You can get a brand new foot overnight in some cases.

Try ANY of those things with your REAL foot. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2009 Xciting 250

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #376 on: January 21, 2018, 04:25:55 AM »
Those are a couple of really good ones! Forbes' recovery is magnificent! Robo's repair shows learning and tenacity. Bothnare inspirations. Working on how to present one that was done mostly PM.....

Karl
Yes, the new year is going great. Just had an issue with a broken foot (the fake one). But it was taken care of quickly.

2009 Xciting 250

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #377 on: January 21, 2018, 04:28:30 AM »
Happy New Year Forbes. Hope 2018 will be a good one with the medical problems and expenses hopefully behind you and a new year ahead.

- Wolf
Thanks. I think it will be a good year. I just noted the broken foot a few moments ago. But it was replaced FREE under warranty.

2009 Xciting 250

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #378 on: January 21, 2018, 04:40:38 AM »
Those are a couple of really good ones! Forbes' recovery is magnificent! Robo's repair shows learning and tenacity. Bothnare inspirations. Working on how to present one that was done mostly PM.....

Karl
From reading many of the posts concerning warranty issues and parts delays, perhaps Kymco can learn from my Prosthetist.
When I called, he told me to come on in. He would take a shorter lunch break in order to assist me.
He gave me a “loaner” part and installed it so I could still use my vehicle (leg)
He called the manufacturer to find out if there was a common problem with this particular foot.
He was able to get the part MORE QUICKLY than promised. He said POSSIBLY Monday. But he was able to get it OVERNIGHT. And he called me when it arrived and installed my part that day (Friday)
He UNDER PROMISED and OVER DELIVERED . The OPPOSITE of what many dealerships do. (Including the one where I work)

2009 Xciting 250

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: January 21, 2018, 05:04:27 PM »
Thanks for posting 'ol 64!

Good news is sometimes in short supply these days.
Happily - there are still a lot of good workers around. (people following the Golden Rule - after 30 yrs of attending to coworker's needs in the workplace, I'm aware that one doesn't often get recognition for same. But then, that's not why we do it, is it?
On my final day at work, I  sought out nearly a dozen people who never failed to brighten my days ....and told them so.  Then old "quiet Tom" got in his truck and drove home. (new boss said, " no scooters".....mounting my scooter would have been a more cinematic ending☺)
Stig
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 05:07:52 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #380 on: July 04, 2019, 11:46:47 PM »
Haven’t added to this post in a long time. But yesterday made 3 YEARS since the accident that cut my scooter riding days short. Seems like yesterday. But also seems like a lifetime ago. Just a reminder to ALWAYS wear your helmet . I’m convinced that it was the reason I “only” lost part of a leg vs my MIND. I still can’t believe that I sustained no other injuries other a minor cut from the helmet chin strap. Also, that riding jacket prevented road rash. Still haven’t ridden again. But that’s due to finances  and family. It still may happen. Meanwhile, I’ll continue to ride VICARIOUSLY through you all.

2009 Xciting 250

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #381 on: July 04, 2019, 11:50:20 PM »
Thanks for posting 'ol 64!

Good news is sometimes in short supply these days.
Happily - there are still a lot of good workers around. (people following the Golden Rule - after 30 yrs of attending to coworker's needs in the workplace, I'm aware that one doesn't often get recognition for same. But then, that's not why we do it, is it?
On my final day at work, I  sought out nearly a dozen people who never failed to brighten my days ....and told them so.  Then old "quiet Tom" got in his truck and drove home. (new boss said, " no scooters".....mounting my scooter would have been a more cinematic ending[emoji5])
Stig
Still getting along well. I hope to one day be able to enjoy my retirement like you. Meanwhile, I’ll continue working one day at a time and enjoy the rare moments when my efforts are appreciated . That’s what keeps me going.

2009 Xciting 250

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #382 on: July 04, 2019, 11:51:40 PM »
One thing I’ve noticed over the last three years is that maintenance costs on a fake leg rival the maintenance costs of a scooter.

2009 Xciting 250

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: July 05, 2019, 12:43:31 AM »
First thought was ditch the leg and get a scooter but that just wouldn't work! Good to hear from you! You still fixin' cars!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: July 05, 2019, 02:34:49 AM »
I would love to have a man* like Mr Forbes in the family!
Good to hear from you.
And, hey I'm not spending much on scooter servicing these days.
I'm still mending some from the ham string forward triple splits I  did into the front shrubbery last winter. Ice cube door matt was a real surprise.
Fortunately only my pup witnessed it....
Glad Mr F recovered faster than I did.

We're all together in this aging thing.

Best to number off, in case someone goes missing at Morning Formation!

Stig
*originally wrote "mechanic", but thought better of it
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #385 on: July 06, 2019, 11:54:08 PM »
First thought was ditch the leg and get a scooter but that just wouldn't work! Good to hear from you! You still fixin' cars!

Yep still fixing cars. It lets me see both perspectives: 1. Techs that either don’t know or don’t care. Seem not to realize that the customer works hard for their money and deserves our best.
2. Customers who have no idea what it takes and assume we’re trying to fleece them. Also think we hook a vehicle to a machine, and it tells us exactly what is wrong and how to fix it. They seem to think we don’t deserve to make a living.

2009 Xciting 250

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #386 on: July 07, 2019, 12:02:49 AM »
Common things with a scooter and a leg.:
Both require constant maintenance.
Both are dependent on the person fixing them knowing what they are doing.
Both are a high initial investment and will then nickel and dime you to death.
With both, it’s sometimes less trouble to do the simple things yourself even if still under warranty.
 With both a good technician will show you how to do the simple things yourself without getting offended. And will not be afraid to answer questions.
 Both try to UP SALE to a more expensive model when it’s time for replacement.
 With both, count yourself EXTREMELY fortunate if you find good service within a close distance.

2009 Xciting 250

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #387 on: July 07, 2019, 12:05:04 AM »
I would love to have a man* like Mr Forbes in the family!
Good to hear from you.
And, hey I'm not spending much on scooter servicing these days.
I'm still mending some from the ham string forward triple splits I  did into the front shrubbery last winter. Ice cube door matt was a real surprise.
Fortunately only my pup witnessed it....
Glad Mr F recovered faster than I did.

We're all together in this aging thing.

Best to number off, in case someone goes missing at Morning Formation!

Stig
*originally wrote "mechanic", but thought better of it
Hey. No problem either way. A good mechanic SHOULD also be a good man. [emoji16][emoji16]

2009 Xciting 250

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: July 07, 2019, 12:58:09 AM »
Well done! Don't anyone even try to top that! Yeay!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

OldCoot

• View Profile
    • Steve Wike
« Reply #389 on: July 08, 2019, 09:16:53 PM »
Just found and finished reading all 26 pages, Forbes. Thank you for inspiring us so powerfully. I can't tell you how much I appreciate your strength and character. Please know that your faith and determination have helped us all.

And Stig, thank you for this great website where we can share and read stories by others so we help and be helped... and at least pray for those who need it.
OldCoot, aka Brick Head
Greer, SC

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()