Author Topic: 500ri grabs/chirps at slow speed transition to faster speed. Anyone else?  (Read 1878 times)

jknapp

• View Profile
Hey all -
I've got something going on with my scoot that is new, weird & I'm not really sure when it started.  I'm curious if anyone else has had this experience..

When I start out from a stop then get to about 10-15 miles an hour, my transmission makes a slight chirp sound and it 'grabs'.  When the it does this, I can feel the scoot surge a bit.  I haven't been able to notice the exact RPM/speed, since at this slow speed, I'm looking where I want to go, not at the control panel. 

It only does this at a slow speed, but it is odd. I'm concerned that a surge in a turn could result in a loss of traction of the back wheel.

I've taken off the CVT cover and looked in there, but nothing seemed out of place.  1 "tooth" off the fan in there was broken, but since there was not remnant of the tooth inside I figured I got the scoot that way.  It was a little dusty, so I blew that out.

I only have 1,600 miles on the scooter. I bought it new. 2009 Xciting 500ri.  My dealership is gone :(, a victim of the economy.  Let me know if you have any ideas.  This couldn't be from something simple like the gear oil being low, could it?

Thanks, Jeremy

drifter

• Twist n' Go Power!!!
    • View Profile
Re: 500ri grabs/chirps at slow speed transition to faster speed. Anyone else?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 11:34:44 PM »
experienced it before on mine. drilled some holes on the clutch bell, never had that problem ever since. posted some pictures of what i've done. not sure what thread ???
"it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than to ride a fast bike slow!"

griffon_j9

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 09:04:12 PM »
is it a sort of growl?? until around 15 (for me was 21 mph) ?
2010 Red Xciting 500RI  51 MPG so far

winginman

• View Profile
    • Accugen DNA Service
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 03:58:54 PM »
Mine makes that noise about 15 or so when it's cold.  Noise seems to go away as things warm up.  I've looked in there and can't see anything amiss.  Replaced the rollers in the variator with Dr Pulley.  That did reduce the noise, but it didn't go away when cold...
Jim
09 Kymco 500Ri (His)
04 Aprilia S500 (Hers)
01 Honda GL1800 (Ours)
DNA Paternity Testing www.accugendna.com

HTCneil

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 08:45:14 PM »
experienced the same thing on my 2009 500ri, when i first got it, Its gone now.

jknapp

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2010, 10:30:17 PM »
Its definately not a growl or vibration. Its a chrip & grab. Those of you who have experienced the sound, do you feel the surge in speed as well?. My speed jumps an immediate 5-6 Mph. Maybe I grab too much throttle, but its not like I'm gunning it off the line.

Yes, it does seem to go away when it warms up.  But its odd to me that this has come on out of the blue.

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2010, 02:53:10 AM »
Something like this was discussed in the subject "Does your Xciting Growl. . . " several months ago.  Don't know if we ever came to a definative conclusion but it's all in the clutch.  Mine did it and I'd say it was more of a chirping sound than a growl.  Did it from standing start till maybe 5 mph.  Never amounted to any slipping at any higher speed. 

I wanted a performance clutch anyway so I put in a Dr. Pulley HiT clutch.  No more chirping after that.  The HiT clutch has a very faint sound of it's own. 

The old clutch was not worn out.  Consensus seems to be that most of em make that noise at one time or another.  ;)

Since yours is slipping when not supposed to, I'd have it serviced or do it yourself.  There's supposed to be a small amount of grease on the pins the clutch pads pivot on.  Maybe check for binding there?   

griffon_j9

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2010, 02:39:01 AM »
Mine was doing the growl thing earlier this year, I took it back to the dealer and he has experianced it on another 500. He said it is a ring in the clutch that is lose and has to be taken apart put back into place (tightened? or something like that)

Any way they kept it and fixed it.... free because of warrenty! :)    Runs like a charm now

Really like my dealer!
2010 Red Xciting 500RI  51 MPG so far

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()