Author Topic: Losing lots of power... LOTS!  (Read 607 times)

bbwlover

• View Profile
Losing lots of power... LOTS!
« on: November 08, 2015, 11:00:17 AM »
Hi everyone

This has happened twice now. Once last week and once again a  few days ago. I'll be riding and all of a sudden the engine starts to spit and cough and lose power. I tried to push my way through it which only got me a few meters more. Once I gave up and turned off the bike, it was extremely hot and smelling of burn. I waited a while and tried again which at least enabled me to get home. That was the first time. I turned on the bike every now and then to see if it was still messed up. Nothing so I went riding, but again, it happened. The only thing that was common about those days was that it was in heavy rainfall. Any ideas?

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Losing lots of power... LOTS!
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2015, 02:15:23 PM »
Lotsa ideas. Some apply to air cooled, some to liquid cooled, some to 4 cycle.......I think you have the idea by now!

Karl

PS: May be carburetor ice regardless.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 12:45:06 AM by CROSSBOLT »
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

JJJoseph

• Kymco Sento
    • View Profile
Re: Losing lots of power... LOTS!
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2015, 04:08:39 AM »
all of a sudden the engine starts to spit and cough and lose power

Always start with the O-rings between the intake manifold and the head (there's 2 of them).  If they're old, more than 2 years, say, they go flat and leak air and your motor will stumble and cough, and also won't move off idle.  New O-rings, about 25 cents each from the O-ring store or about $3 each from Kymco.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()