Author Topic: Valve clearances across bikes and sources  (Read 199 times)

bosticer

• View Profile
Valve clearances across bikes and sources
« on: October 28, 2023, 03:11:22 PM »
So in a different thread I was trying to find what my recommended valve clearances should be. I have a 2009 People 150.
I was looking in different places and am a bit confused now because of the variability of what should be a pretty important figure.
I was hoping people could post what their model bike is, what the clearance is supposed to be according to the service manual summary sheet, and in the valve chapter, as well as what the placard in the seat bucket says.

I'll go first
Service Manual summary sheet: Intake (0.10 mm), Exhaust (0.10mm)
Service Manual Valve chapter (chapter 3 for my manual) : Intake (0.10mm) Exhaust  (0.10mm)
Service Manual Valve Chapter 7 (intake (0.12mm) Exhaust (0.12mm)
Seat bucket placard Intake/exhaust (0.06mm +-0.02mm)

screenshots and pictures are attached.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Valve clearances across bikes and sources
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2023, 03:41:11 PM »
You have discovered the basic, uncorrected, profusely informed Kymco, totally confusing problem with Kymco tech information!

Valve clearances that work and are the most reasonable are 0.1 mm/.004" for any and all Kymco 4-stroke engines. That is the prevalent concensus here and is the exact dimension at Honda for similar engines. That is more credible since Honda got Kymco to build engines for Honda in 1963 and gave them all the technology when they turned Kymco loose in '68. Kymco is still using Honda perts numbering system and many parts are directly interchangeable!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()