Author Topic: How to remove front cover of Kymco "New People S 125i" 2020 to remove battery  (Read 3198 times)

lars55555

• View Profile
Hi guys,

I bought this year (2020) the new Kymco People 125 modell, called "Kymco New People S 125i ABS" and it's this model:
https://www.kymco.de/roller/125-150ccm/new-people-s-125i-abs/

Now I am trying to remove the battery (due to Winter time) but I got completely stuck because Kymco has changed the location of the battery with this new model.
Where it was in the previous model below the foot rest and easy accessible by just removing some srews...

In the new 2020 model the battery is behind the front cover (or a part of it) and the manual doesn't tell much about how to access it - it has some low resolution B/W images and only explaining exactly this:

* Remove the screws (1) on the front cover.
* Remove the plastic clip (2).
* Remove the front cover.

Where as the first step seems quite reasonable and the srews could be found quite easily (they are placed on the side facing to the driver on the right side above the ignition and on the left side on the same location opposite) I just failed to do the second step.

I have no idea what this "plastic clip" is, nor where it is located exactly (the (2) is just pointing to somewhere below the right headlight - or not...? the photo has just very poor quality), nor how this "plastic clip" should be removed.

And for the third step there was even no photo to explain how to "remove the front cover"... I assume that with some reasonable force and pulling on the correct places you could remove it.
But because I could only do step 1 I was only trying if the cover would already move a little bit when pulling here and there - but nothing moved and I did not want to use too much force to not break any of these plastic parts...

So, can anybody please explain me what this "plastic clip" (2) in step 2 might be and where it is located exactly and how it can be rmoved?
And maybe also what step 3 actually means (where to pull / push ...)

Thanks for your help - appreciate it,
Lars

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Can you share with us:
your poor resolution manual photos

and a couple photos of this area of your scooter...

Sometimes the Kymco panel clips are opened by sliding the panel, up, down, left or right.
Honda uses clips that pull straight out towards you......but if wrong, this could break a Kymco clip.

Stig

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

john grinsel

• View Profile
Ask your dealer!

lars55555

• View Profile
Can you share with us:

Hi Stig, thanks for your fast reply... :)
I will upload the photos (especially of my scooter) most likely tomorrow (currently it's in the middle of the night, where I live - Vienna, Austria  ;D )
Again, thanks a lot for your help, bye, Lars

lars55555

• View Profile
Ask your dealer!

Hi John, yes - I also considered that: if I don't succeed (even with the help of this forum) I will contact my dealer - but first I want to give it a try and check if I can do it myself...  :D

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Hi John, yes - I also considered that: if I don't succeed (even with the help of this forum) I will contact my dealer - but first I want to give it a try and check if I can do it myself...  :D
I don't blame you....if it was my new scooter I'd want to be able to find my battery,  too!
Also, will trade info for Austrian pastry 😊
Stig
Some photos of your city would be great!
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
You might be able to talk to the dealer for information on access to the battery not necessarily to take it to a dealer to have it done.
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

lars55555

• View Profile
Can you share with us:

[...]

Stig

Hi Stig, again...

I've now taken some photos of my scooter as well of the part of the owner's manual that describes how to open the cover where the battery is beneath it.

When I took the photo of the manual I saw that the "arrow" of step (2) most likely points to the "nose" of this front cover - so the clip is most likely located there.
I also reckognized that when I grab under the front cover in the area of this "nose" that there is also something like a screw (but it seems to made of plastic, not metal) but it has no slits to apply a tool to it and also it would be hard to access because the front wheel blocks it somehow (even when turned fully aside).

So I wonder if this strange plastic part is actually the "plastic clip" the owner's manual is talking about or not...
Maybe the plastic clip is rather something on the outside of the front cover but I have tried to pull here and there and nothing moved...
Still I may have pulled on the wrong thing or in the wrong direction...

Maybe you (or someone else) knows the answer :)

Thanks, Lars

PS: more photos in an extra post...

lars55555

• View Profile
more photos...

lars55555

• View Profile
Some photos of your city would be great!

Bonus photo for you - Vienna from an office building (Summer 2019  ;D )

FJTRoy

• View Profile
cool! man that would make a great jigsaw puzzle :)
86FJ1200
07Burgman650
15Downtown300i

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
cool! man that would make a great jigsaw puzzle :)

Sadist!  ;)
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Ruffus

• View Profile
@Lars
This plastic might be s clip which is appr. 15 mm in diameter and has an about 5 mm middle bolt. Try to push this bolt about 4 mm into this clip. Then pry this whole clip out and the fairing should come off. At  least st LIKEs works in this way.
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

lars55555

• View Profile
This plastic might be s clip which is appr. 15 mm in diameter and has an about 5 mm middle bolt. Try to push this bolt about 4 mm into this clip. Then pry this whole clip out and the fairing should come off. At  least st LIKEs works in this way.

Hi Ruffus - THX alot, I'll check it the next time I go to my scooter...
Bye, Lars

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile

Panel nuts/rivets/fasteners come in various forms and are common panel fasteners for motorcycles and scooters.
Of course you pry up, or push in (or unscrew) - the center to unlock the fastener. Locking is the reverse.

Stig
« Last Edit: December 11, 2020, 12:27:20 AM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()