Author Topic: Oil Service light xciting 500i  (Read 4318 times)

Ossie Carter

• View Profile
Oil Service light xciting 500i
« on: August 24, 2016, 10:25:28 AM »
Hi folks, my oil service light magically turned itself on and I can't turn it off.  I have pushed the 'oil service' button but alas no joy.  My scooter was serviced around 1000kms ago...
I'm thinking it should do better than 1000kms
Appreciate comments thanks
Ossie

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Charlie P

• View Profile
Re: Oil Service light xciting 500i
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2016, 01:32:56 PM »
On mine you gotta hold that button down for about 5 seconds or so then the display goes to zero otherwise it shows how many miles since last time it was reset.
Charlie P.
2013 Xciting 500Ri ABS
formerly 2010 Yager & 2008 Grand Vista
Near Haslet, TX (NW of Fort Worth)

Ossie Carter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2016, 02:14:02 PM »
On mine you gotta hold that button down for about 5 seconds or so then the display goes to zero otherwise it shows how many miles since last time it was reset.

Hi Charlie, around 600 to 700 miles ago.  Had new filters and oil.
Yes I've held the button in for 5 seconds but it still shines...
Does this light work on miles on the clock?
Ossie

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2016, 03:40:19 PM »
I just read the 500i Owner's manual and nothing indicates how long you should hold the oil service light button down. That does NOT mean anything since there are errors and omissions in all the books, service and owner's alike. I am guessing since I do not have experience with the X- 500i but how long do you have to hold the button to shift or clear odometers? Use that time interval and see what happens. The oil service light is triggered by the odometer every 625 miles! Great for first service since new and useless there on. Your bike new? Warranty issue if it is and you have tried everything. I will bet one of the X-500i riders here will have a good answer for you when they finally come home from work and read your post.

Karl

Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

wkreps

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2016, 04:49:18 PM »
In order to get mine reset last time I actually had to take out the rubber seal (button) and look down through to the circuit board and press the button with a toothpick or something similar. I would not use a metal object as you are pushing it towards a circuit board and you don't want to connect two circuits by accident.
Wayne

Ossie Carter

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2016, 10:02:05 PM »
I just read the 500i Owner's manual and nothing indicates how long you should hold the oil service light button down. That does NOT mean anything since there are errors and omissions in all the books, service and owner's alike. I am guessing since I do not have experience with the X- 500i but how long do you have to hold the button to shift or clear odometers? Use that time interval and see what happens. The oil service light is triggered by the odometer every 625 miles! Great for first service since new and useless there on. Your bike new? Warranty issue if it is and you have tried everything. I will bet one of the X-500i riders here will have a good answer for you when they finally come home from work and read your post.

Karl
Thanks Karl.

Ossie Carter

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2016, 10:04:37 PM »
In order to get mine reset last time I actually had to take out the rubber seal (button) and look down through to the circuit board and press the button with a toothpick or something similar. I would not use a metal object as you are pushing it towards a circuit board and you don't want to connect two circuits by accident.

Thanks wkreps I will give that ago.

Ossie Carter

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2016, 03:20:01 AM »
Wkreps, you hit the nail on the head..  Did what you suggested an magically the light went out.  Great to know what the light means, thanks Karl.

Cheers
Ossie

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2016, 06:34:44 PM »
Whoa, wait Ossie and Wayne! Does that mean there is something MISSING under that rubber-like weather cap?

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Ossie Carter

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2016, 09:45:47 PM »
Whoa, wait Ossie and Wayne! Does that mean there is something MISSING under that rubber-like weather cap?

Karl

Hmmm I looked at that Crossbolt, the weather seal is intact and okay, but I think the  rubber just misses the micro switch when pushed.  At least I know how to fix it.

I would like to fix is the speedo.  It reads 10kms (6mph) fast at 70kms (45mph).  This is very frustrating to say the least.  Any ideas??
Thanks.

wkreps

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2016, 05:33:18 PM »
Hmmm I looked at that Crossbolt, the weather seal is intact and okay, but I think the  rubber just misses the micro switch when pushed.  At least I know how to fix it.
That was kinda my feeling too.
Wayne

Gregory H

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2016, 06:59:27 PM »
To cancel the oil service light you need to hold the button down for 5 seconds with ignition switch on. You will need something sharp as this will not work with just a finger.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()