Scooters - 125 to 300 > Yager GT 200i

Yager 200 won't start after short (battery dying after days)

(1/3) > >>

GermanYager200i:
Kymco Yager 200GTi
13.000 km on the clock

Bought a new battery in December 2022, generator/alternator checked and ok, charging voltage ok
-> all things checked in two different shops in December and February

Still, after standing on the street for 2-3 days in cold temperatures (below 5°C) the scooter won't start.
Multiple tries until battery is fully drained. I then fully charge the battery and it always starts again then.

Both shops are kind of clueless - only ideas are that the starter or starter relay are broken (but most say, that this shouldn't be the case).
This is my second Yager 200 and my 10th winter - never had these issues.

I'm hoping someone here has had the issue and can point me into the right direction.
As always, much appreciate your support!!

Ruffus:
@GermanYager200i, welcome here.
This injection based fuel and start system on your 200 gti doesn't bear very well with voltages under 10 V DC, means it will not fire up if voltage drops under this value.
So, do find the culprit:
-ignition off
-take a multimeter and put it between battery+ and  cable
- ignition on
- multimeter on ohm
- IS there is current flowing?

THIS Yager/Dink have a charging socket within the seats undertray(pls see pics), sometimes this and illumination is emptying the battery, if its switch is not closed completely.
Take the bulb out, check the 12V socket.
Pls give a feedback to learn.

EDIT: CROSSBOLTS say got me to think of this ground points at your startermotors rear end.
A corrosion there or at your fuses connectors might lead to battery consumption.
I had at my YAGER/Dink a blank cable within rear harness, close to my LH shock, very hard to find.

CROSSBOLT:
I, too had a Yager at one time as well as several other EFI Kymco models and I echo what Ruffus wrote. These will NOT spark if volts are below around 10 volts or less while cranking. Your starter relay must be fine since the battery was run down by trying to start. Quit with the starter button if it does not fire within one to three revolutions. Try once, RR-RR-RR then quit. Wait a bit, 1,2,3,4,5 then try again: RR-RR if it does not start then, STOP! Get a jump or take the bus.

These Kymco systems are marginal at best but are normally quite reliable if the battery and CONNECTIONS are near perfect. System grounds seem the weak point and very prone to corrosion. Connections should all be treated with silicone dielectric grease when brand new to prevent some of these problems. They all should be treated today after cleaning if not done initially.

You came to the right place for answers. Ruffus got you started. Do exactly like he says and you will solve this! Keep us posted as you go along. And definitely when it gets solved.

GermanYager200i:
@Ruffus / @CROSSBOLT
Thanks a lot for your input.
I will try to get to it between business trips and update.

Again, much appreciate the help!
Best regards from snowy Germany

EDIT:
Can you specify where exactly I should look for corrosion and then apply grease?

Ruffus:
For this corrosion stuff maybe see this link, it's a LIKE 200i but setup is the same. Cable is bolted to the backside of your scoots starter motor vicinity.
https://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=31637.0
(Pls see pic)

If you open your battery cover you will see a fuse box, check this connectors beneath.
Best approach would be to take your seat inclusive underseat tray out to see cable harness and all connectors.
https://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=31878.0

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version