Author Topic: zx 50 fever two stroke  (Read 1697 times)

notreallyascooterguy

• View Profile
zx 50 fever two stroke
« on: February 01, 2013, 07:12:29 PM »
hello I work on cycles, BMW cycles so a mechanic here.
Question I impose is this.Inherited this scooter ,It fires right up,but when you accelerate it dont wanna go but a very little ,I went and checked the variator seemed ok,clutch seemed ok,compression is only 100 # I figure its toast as it has a whopping 11000 miles... I would like to rebuild it to have for fun. Any clue as to find out where to get the info as to the year exact engine # etc. A reliable parts source I dont even know the year. Thanks for any help  ..Joe

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
Re: zx 50 fever two stroke
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 03:37:02 AM »
Same engine as the Honda Dio. That being said you should have no trouble finding parts for it now. However be cautious of the Honda markup. Ebay for cheap parts. You can find quality stuff for it too. Which for something like a cylinder kit, quality is the way to go.

Just one site with a good selection:
http://www.racingplanetusa.com/index.php?sessID=64e80e5bfa495d5543dba3603a281d97
There are more

Me personally, I'd throw a big bore kit on it

BTW... The ZX is a great scooter... And WELCOME TO THE FORUM!  :)
*2010 People 50 2t with 70cc kit and more
*2001 ZX-50 beater

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 03:54:38 AM »
I'm really tempted to buy a Dio here... lots of them from Japan being dumped here by the containers... very cheap too....

LoveMyKymco

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 07:27:53 AM »
Its only "similar" to the dio, its a derivative of both the US AF16 and the Dio AF18e. Small things like the carb intake(which a af16/18 one will work), Rear pulley/driven pulley, starter, cdi, and stator assembly are particular to the zx50 engine as well. You can not use the after market gears made for the AF16 or dio on a zx50/sc10a engine and the belt is not the same either due to increased crank case length for the 12" rear tire. Cylinder kits, variator, clutch, carb, intakes, reeds, exhaust from the af16/18 will work on it though. You can follow the link in my signature for a couple possible things to do.
At 11k kilometers its only really at 5k+ miles as its in KM not miles.
With 100 psi it should still run and go ok, it is at its serviceable limit though. I would also look into cleaning the carb.
Best of luck to you with your new zx, when it runs right youre going to love it.
My 82 mph Killer Full MHR zx50 build (now 91 mph gps verified)
http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=7795.0
My Fabrizi/MHR "can it cost anymore?" build
http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=12146.0;topicseen

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 01:30:50 PM »
Yeah, 11,000km's is not really that much at all. My A50 has about 25,000 km's on it now and is still fine.

Best to go thro the whole cvt system, clean it out as you go and look for any issues/worn parts. Did you check the belt width was in tollerence? A bad or worn belt can have major effects on performance. Then open up the carb and check the main jet is correct size, 80 for a resrticted or 82 for a derestricted or bigger if its got an open k&n type filter. If the jets correct then give it a blow thro with compressed air in case its blocked and look for debris or dirt in the carb bowl too and check the carb float cover seal/gasket is seated in properly and not leaking. If your a mechanic then you prob already did these checks already?

Its hopefully just a minor issue if its been sat a while unused.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

naughty lee

• 64 mph and pushing
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 06:55:53 PM »
hello I work on cycles, BMW cycles so a mechanic here.
Question I impose is this.Inherited this scooter ,It fires right up,but when you accelerate it dont wanna go but a very little ,I went and checked the variator seemed ok,clutch seemed ok,compression is only 100 # I figure its toast as it has a whopping 11000 miles... I would like to rebuild it to have for fun. Any clue as to find out where to get the info as to the year exact engine # etc. A reliable parts source I dont even know the year. Thanks for any help  ..Joe
It's entirely possible that all the restrictions are still on it OR it has an incorrect drive belt fitted. Have a look in the zx50 area, I've managed to trim my sons into the 50mph+ zone

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()