Author Topic: spark plug access ?  (Read 4213 times)

boo

• I hate censorship people manipulate you
    • View Profile
spark plug access ?
« on: November 25, 2013, 05:35:49 PM »
Is removing the seat and tub the easiest way to get to the spark plug on the GT.
Looking ahead to maintenance.
300GTI black
Pro 2A - member GOA & NRA

alphaBETAdog

• View Profile
Re: spark plug access ?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 12:47:16 AM »
Yep. Once the seat and tub are removed (caution: unplug the accessory outlet before taking the tub too far away) it is easy to remove the front engine panel for good acess to the plug. When I did this to install a new Iridium plug, I also installed a Battery Tender pigtail to the positive and negative battery terminals in the engine compartment.
Central Arizona
'12 Kymco GTi300
'03 Aprilia Scarabeo 150
'08 Beta RS450 Dualsport
'13 Suzuki Vstrom 650

boo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 04:48:12 PM »
Yep. Once the seat and tub are removed (caution: unplug the accessory outlet before taking the tub too far away) it is easy to remove the front engine panel for good acess to the plug. When I did this to install a new Iridium plug, I also installed a Battery Tender pigtail to the positive and negative battery terminals in the engine compartment.

Which way is easiest?
If panel is best, how is it removed?.
thanks boo
300GTI black

alphaBETAdog

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2013, 11:03:35 PM »
Which way is easiest?
If panel is best, how is it removed?.
thanks boo

Remove the seat and tub as planned, and then you can gently un-snap the tabs on the front plastic engine cover to give you more room to work in. Once the seat and tub are removed, it is pretty easy to see how the panel comes out.  Easy peazy!
Central Arizona
'12 Kymco GTi300
'03 Aprilia Scarabeo 150
'08 Beta RS450 Dualsport
'13 Suzuki Vstrom 650

boo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 02:14:56 PM »
Remove the seat and tub as planned, and then you can gently un-snap the tabs on the front plastic engine cover to give you more room to work in. Once the seat and tub are removed, it is pretty easy to see how the panel comes out.  Easy peazy!

Thanks a bunch ABD.
300GTI black

KentonLynne

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2014, 06:02:09 AM »
I've almost got 6000 miles on my GT300i and am looking at the needed maintenance.   I noticed in the service manual that they recommend replacing the spark plug at this point.  First of all, is that really necessary -- seems like a spark plug should last longer than that (at least the ones in my car don't need to be changed until 100K miles).   But if it does really need to be changed, does anyone have a suggestion as what to replace it with (especially if that replacement would last longer than the original)? 

Thanks for any advice.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2014, 05:28:01 PM »
I've almost got 6000 miles on my GT300i and am looking at the needed maintenance.   I noticed in the service manual that they recommend replacing the spark plug at this point.  First of all, is that really necessary -- seems like a spark plug should last longer than that (at least the ones in my car don't need to be changed until 100K miles).   But if it does really need to be changed, does anyone have a suggestion as what to replace it with (especially if that replacement would last longer than the original)? 

Thanks for any advice.
That 100K spark plug in your car is an Iridium plug.
You can get an NGK Iridium or Denso Iridium plug for your scoot and you may never need to change it again!
Web search the direct exchange/replacement for your stock plug. (at NGK or Denso web sites)
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

ProfessorDumbledore

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2014, 03:39:37 AM »
Im a new owner and looking for the spark plug on my scoot. Can someone help? I took the tub off but i can't find it.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2014, 04:21:24 AM »
It's on the front right side of the engine. Follow the 1/4" black wire to it. You can not actually see the spark plug itself until you remove the plug wire. It's inside that rubber boot.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2014, 04:33:03 AM »
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

nushipwright

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2014, 12:09:57 PM »
I've read somewhere online that it is possible to reach the plug somehow without ripping too many things apart, but I lost the link and I can't find it now...
“Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”  - Mark Twain
. mostly 2up city

NeoGenesisMax

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2014, 03:06:18 PM »
Repair manual says remove seat, luggage box, and center cover. Doubt all that is needed though. Says remove plug with 5/8 spark plug socket. Gap it at .6 to .7 mm. Torque it to 1.5 to 2 ft-lb on the reinstall. The main point is to check your plug for wear and tear.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()