Author Topic: Seat of Pants Impressions - First 100 Miles  (Read 4400 times)

Oldscoot

• View Profile
Seat of Pants Impressions - First 100 Miles
« on: October 31, 2011, 05:15:12 PM »
I picked up my 300 last Wednesday and went on a group ride this last Sunday.  We did somewhat over seventy miles of all local and no freeway riding.  I’m mostly a local rider so this type of riding is typical for me.  To begin with, I am 5’10”, 210 lbs. and 65 years old.  I work out a bit and am not in bad shape for my age.  I provide this information because obviously, everyone experiences a bike differently. My overall impression is that this is a very solid and steady bike.  It feels more like a motorcycle than any other scooter I’ve ridden.  The seat has a proper firmness and a built in low back support at the right distance for my legs and butt.  After more than an hour in the saddle the seat still felt comfortable. While there is a good reach to the bars I felt my legs were a little cramped – and I could have used a bit more room on the floorboards.  Acceleration is excellent and you can feel the power coming on in a steady fashion.  The bike is brand new and I break my bikes in so I didn’t give it a full throttle.  Less than 1/3 throttle easily pushes it up to 50 mph rapidly.  I don’t have measuring devices so I can’t provide 0-60 type of information or actual hp or torque – but I can happily say that it accelerates my 210 lbs rapidly enough to bring on a huge grin.  You ride in a fairly tall straight fashion and it reminded me in some respects of one of my early 70’s Yamaha dual purpose DT bikes.  I could envision sliding it through turns on a dirt oval track (except for the bike’s weight).   This bike has the best suspension of any scooter I have ever ridden - period.  It took on our bad roads without ever bottoming out.  I never heard any sound coming from the bike over any bump or rough stretch and the frame and body coverings are tight (except for th top case). There is almost no vibration at any speed and the exhausts let out of pleasant, very restrained note of a 300 cc thumper.  The looks got praise from everyone in my riding group.  The other club riders loved the overall look, large dimensions of the bike and the massive (for a scooter) 16” wheels.  There is virtually no real world usable storage under the seat. The top case provided makes up that.  It is noisy however and is the only non-engine noise that comes from the bike. I believe some sticky-backed felt can cure this.  The only truly bad thing is the gas filling tube. Every frickin’ scooter seems to have its own problem in this area.  On the 300 there is a metal bar running across the bottom of the filler that doesn’t allow you to insert the gasoline dispense nozzle more than inch or so into the tank. I think it there to prevent damage to the tank.  To overcome it you have to hold back the evaporation recover canopy of the dispenser nozzle (at least at Shell stations) or find a different type of dispense.  I found that Chevron’s dispensers worked without a hitch.   I have a good relationship with my dealer, Apollo Motor Sports in Houston.  I will see how Kymco supports its warranties if the situation arises.  For me the bike is the true offspring of a mating between a motorcycle and a scooter and it suits me perfectly. I am a happy owner.

I hope this was useful.

Dibber

• View Profile
Re: Seat of Pants Impressions - First 100 Miles
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 08:54:02 PM »
Thanks for the review.  It's good to get others opions.  I just wish a person could get a windshield for it.

boo

• I hate censorship people manipulate you
    • View Profile
appreciate the review
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 07:42:23 PM »
Thanks a bunch Oldscoot.
If you have additional information you would like to share after "break in".
we would love to hear it.
Looks like the GT300 is a real nice scoot.
300GTI black
Pro 2A - member GOA & NRA

Oldscoot

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 06:25:43 PM »
A couple of things I forgot to mention in my last post.  The brakes work very well and I found this out quickly when one of the riders in front of me decided to stop for no reason apparent to me.  The brakes allow for a certain amount of play (for lack of a better word) which to me at least allows me to finesse them - which in conditions of poor traction is most helpful.  The lack of windshield at the speeds I was going - top speed of 60 on this last outing - was not as bad as I thought it would be.  The fairing supplied is fairly tall given the dimensions of the bike and the wind was directed off of my chest and most of my face.  I wear a half-helmet and there was no wind roaring in my ears as when I am riding my Vespa GTS without a windshield.           

The bike is wearing in nicely and it is beginning to rev more freely.  Perhaps in a short time I'll be able to take it down to the Texas Motor Speedway and give Boo the type of information he'd like to hear - or perhaps I'll leave that to someone else.

boo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 03:58:19 PM »
Oldscoot,
The information you have shared with us so far has been very helpful.
You mentioned the brakes work good. The single disc up front was a concern for many.
My earlier post concerning 0-55, 0-60 times was to give us an idea how well this scoot would merge into traffic etc.
I was not asking you to hot rod your new scoot nor ride dangerously.
It was just so we could get an idea of how well it performed in everyday traffic situations.
When this scoot first came on the market, there was some "misinformation" written about it from the so called experts. One example was that it was rated at 32 hp.
The question about whether the Downtown and GT share the same engine is still in question. Don`t know for sure but, I suspect they have the same engine but, the variators are set up different. Those that know for sure haven`t been forthcoming about it.
My wife has a Scarabeo 200.
I checked the 0-55, 060 times on it. Its performance is adaquate with a 200 pound rider.
I also had my wife drive along side of me on a nice four lane highway to check speedometer accuracy.
The little Scabby performed nicely but, I know the Kymco GT300i will be much, much better.
In the last year I have "tried out", a Honda SH 150, an Aprilia Scarabeo 200, a Piaggio BV 250, and an Aprilia Sportcity 250.
Out of these, I was most impressed with the Aprilia Sportcity 250.
I`m guessing the Kymco GT300i has the Sportcity beat all around.
Sorry for nagging you with all these question but after riding motorscooters in the last year, I have discovered I really like them.
I have ridden motorcycles all my life and now ride a Yamaha sport bike. I`ll soon be 62 years old and don`t feel the need to go 130+ anymore.
At present, my focus is on the Kymco GT300i.
I am seriously considering switching from motorcycles to a nice scoot as I don`t do long trips anymore.
Thanks boo
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 04:11:49 PM by boo »
300GTI black

Oldscoot

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 05:20:45 PM »
Boo - I was just having a little fun with you.  You're a die-hard enthusiast who hungers for real information and I respect that.  The GT really puts a big grin on my face.  I owned a SportsCity 250 for a short period of time.  It was a great bike with fast acceleration for a 250.  It just wasn't big enough for me to be comfortable.  My last bike before that -nearly 20 years earlier and one lifetime earlier was a HD Heritage Softtail - so I was suffering from scooter transition syndrome.  I then jumped out and bought a Burgman 650.  It was too big for my intended use.  So - in the way of Goldilocks and the Three Bears - the GT 300 is just right.  I believe in a long enough ride that in a side-by-side comparison - being a guy from a motorcycling past - you'de feel more at home on the 300.         

boo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2011, 10:07:47 PM »
Looks like we are on the same page.
Thanks.
I was out for four hours riding my wifes scoot today and it reminded me of another question.
How is the suspension on the GT?. Any bunny hop, and how does it soak up bumps on an imperfect road.
300GTI black

Oldscoot

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2011, 01:24:03 PM »
Looks like we are on the same page.
Thanks.
I was out for four hours riding my wifes scoot today and it reminded me of another question.
How is the suspension on the GT?. Any bunny hop, and how does it soak up bumps on an imperfect road.

No bunny hop and no bottoming.  The GT feels like a much bigger bike than it is and the long wheel base and 360 lbs. help smooth out the rough road.  My Burgman easilly bottomed out and the Vespa will take a hard hit in the front shock on a bad bump. The GT absorbs all of these.  I've not hit a Texas-sized pothole yet  and hope not to - but I'll let you know what that is like when it happens.

boo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2011, 01:33:14 PM »
Thanks Oldscoot.
Ride safe-----------and live to ride another day.
300GTI black

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()