Author Topic: Well..........sheee--oot  (Read 4380 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Well..........sheee--oot
« on: April 06, 2015, 02:41:22 PM »
This was an expensive sunny day ride. (don't ask - but in Havana I could have purchased a 'runner' used car)
My 15 yr old daughter did give me free lessons on how to use my cell phone's GPS -- for the next time -- I call the tow driver....so not a total loss.
Pulled off this country road to find a large piece of metal in my rapidly deflating Dunlop tire...
And 12 short hours after I left home I was back, with a new Bridgestone Hoop rear tire and a significantly lighter wallet. Thought my AAA covered my scoot.....not so. Does now!

On a happier note - my son & I took a ride together yesterday. He sure likes his newly purchased CB500X (2014, 1500 miles,  w/6 mos. factory warranty remaining) Strange bike - to me anyway - the 2013's get a valve check at 600 miles - but these 2014's don't get checked until 16,000 miles.
We changed the oil and lubed the chain, uses the same filter my Forza uses. Using Honda products.
The tow driver is going to offer on my Kymco LIKE200i....but not sure I want to sell it.

Stig
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 02:44:15 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Well..........sheee--oot
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2015, 03:05:11 PM »
PS:
The stock tires are Dunlop 140/70-13 rear. NOT an easy tire to find in the States. So, getting out of Dunlop's for that reason and, after some internet investigation & much discussion,  we put on a 150/70-13 Bridgestone Hoop- which are/were standard tires on the Honda Sliverwings and other big scoots.
Fit was no issue...speedo reading is dead accurate for whatever reason, with the new tire.
No, I don't like to mix tire brands on my scoots - but will replace the front in time with another Hoop - and at my age I ain't dragging a knee very often or ever going fast. After 200 miles I am noticing no difference.

3 versions of the CB500's      X, R & F naked

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2015, 03:48:29 PM »
That sucks all around.
Thanks for the heads up on the AAA. I thought it was covered also.

Be Big,
AMAC
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2017 Lance Cali Classic 200i
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
2010 Lance Cali Classic-sold
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

bluesin

• 2012 DT 300i
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2015, 04:03:33 PM »
Glad my Insurance ( Progressive )covers mine. Plus, I purchased a 4 year Warranty ( unlimited usage ) on mytires.Replaced two so far at no cost to me ( Carpenter husband and roofing nail in driveway are not coducive to tires. Had one in truck tire, too , but- tread was too deep for damage ) .
"There is a Fifth Dimension beyond which is known to Man. It is a Dimension as vast as Space and as timeless as Infinity......It is an area which we call 'The Twilight Zone' .   "Rod Serling

LidoCA

• I LIKE chinese plastic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 03:28:45 AM »
 I like the message on the tow trucks light bar.
Steve
I have ridden well over 17 miles on my scooters.

2013 LIKE 200i LX.
2016 Yamaha SMax
2014 Yamaha Majesty
La Mirada, Ca.

TLRam1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015, 05:33:37 AM »
I like the message on the tow trucks light bar.

You and me both.

Glad that is all you had was a flat.
Terry
10 Kymco People S 250
87 Yamaha Riva 200 (Sold)
Allen TX (Dallas)
cli-maxridinggear.com

2wheelfun

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2015, 11:42:12 AM »
AAA only covers 2 wheel vehicles with the RV membership, kinda pricey if you don't have an RV. With progressive ins roadside assist costs only a few bucks extra on your policy.

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2015, 03:14:21 PM »
Towing comes with my AMA membership.

As for mixing brands between front and rear tires, both of my scooters have mixed brands front and rear and I have done it on numerous motorcycles.  Never had a problem with it.

Since both of my scooters have weird tires sizes it's hard not to mix brands.  My Super eight has a Michelin City Grip up front and OEM chen shin on the rear.  My Sport City has a Michelin City grip up front and Metzler ME88 in the rear.  Both of these combo's work just fine.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

wkreps

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2015, 05:35:34 PM »
Sorry you had your troubles Stig but twice in the last two days I've seen things that have reminded me that I need to check into my insurance coverage. Guess that's a sign and I should get on it.
1.) Towing coverage.
2.) Protective gear coverage.
Wayne

bluesin

• 2012 DT 300i
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2015, 08:48:10 PM »
Sorry you had your troubles Stig but twice in the last two days I've seen things that have reminded me that I need to check into my insurance coverage. Guess that's a sign and I should get on it.
1.) Towing coverage.
2.) Protective gear coverage.

Progressive offers both, as well as accessories ( saddle bags, lights, top cases,chrome,carbon fiber, etc. , etc. )
"There is a Fifth Dimension beyond which is known to Man. It is a Dimension as vast as Space and as timeless as Infinity......It is an area which we call 'The Twilight Zone' .   "Rod Serling

2wheelfun

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2015, 03:38:16 PM »
Looked up my current policy with progressive and roadside assist only costs $10 per year, best deal going. Last time I checked into AAA RV coverage it was like $180 a year just to cover a bike, way too steep compared. I also have allstate roadside assist on my 2 cars and it will cover the scoot too, $10 a month and it covers towing up to $250 per incident. Allstate deal is because that's who insures my cars with high coverage not the minimum.

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2015, 04:32:33 PM »
Nothing like a flat tire to make a loooooong day.

My wife and I have the AAA RV coverage (we don't own an RV) for the PTW tow service. It cost us $190/year. It does extend the tow miles limit on the cars and gives other perks like free overnight stay if you are left stranded. It's a bit pricey. I have been thinking about joning the AMA for the benefits that includes tow service.

2wheelfun

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2015, 05:43:12 PM »
What's PTW tow service?

Mscmkr

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2015, 07:57:27 AM »
First thing I did when I bought my Like was to call AAA. I wanted to make sure I had tow coverage for it. I payed $110 a year for the bike and my car. Being my first scoot I was not to sure how reliable it was going to be. All I needed was to break down somewhere and not have a way to get it home or to a garage to have it repaired.
   Shortly before I bought my Like I saw a guy with a cheapo Chinese scoot DOA in the parking lot of a convenience store. He was trying to kick start it to avail. When I came out there were parts falling off it. Felt so sorry for that guy.

Ride safe everyone, mscmkr

0BARK4322

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2015, 08:49:49 AM »
I never knew they had a flat bed for a scooter ;D
ALL STOCK

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()