Author Topic: Blowing fuses  (Read 1920 times)

Mountainman

• View Profile
Blowing fuses
« on: July 01, 2019, 06:20:19 PM »
I have a 2018 Kymco UVX450i 4x4 and I'm having trouble with it blowing fuses. It was just blowing the ignition fuse and I'd replace it and move on but now it is blowing the power fuse, next to solenoid, as soon as I turn the key to on. I thought something was grounded but I cannot find id any suggestion would be great

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Blowing fuses
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2019, 09:47:06 PM »
You on the right track suspecting something is grounded (that is NOT supposed to be!). My suggestion is to start with a handful of the correct fuses that the rig uses. Unplug EVERYTHING! Everything, no cheating. Start plugging things back in circuit by circuit. A wiring diagram would be helpful but just use what is listed for each fuse. When that bugger pops, investigate that circuit!

Scheme #2 would be replace the blowing fuse with a turn signal lamp (heavy filament) turn power on and the bulb should light up. Then unplug stuff powered by that fuse until the bulb goes out. Then investigate!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2019, 10:21:38 PM »
Gonna be a tough one to find, I agree your on the right track. Could be as simple as a bared wire at a pinch point. Something to consider...I have had a rare instance where a battery had an internal short that caused issues whenever the ign switch was turned on.  Only a sugestion,  drop the skid plates as there are some pinch points under there where wiring passes thru. Have you added or changed anything electrical recently?  Have you been thru deep water recently, you would be amazed where it gets into!

Mountainman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2019, 12:47:01 AM »
Well after finding a wiring diagram and running down the wire that I found was grounded it was all a matter of time. The dang brown with sky blue line in it was the problem. I did a reverse test with the test light and found the ground and couldn't believe that wire ran to so many place on my UXV. The last place I checked was the problem, it was the buzzer back behind the battery box. I didn't even know it had a buzzer, it has never worked since I had the thing. The way it sets in there it is sure to get water in it, they mounted it with the open top straight up. It should be mounted upside down.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2019, 04:27:26 AM »
That makes you the top expert on that model, now! We will start the hilltop shrine tomorrow! Anyone got an airport becon they aren't using?

Good show on finding that! You will be the one the next time someone posts, "HELP!" Har, har!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

pa-outdoorsman

• Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2019, 02:02:44 PM »
Good work on ferreting out the source of your problem! I own the same machine. Thankfully, I haven't encountered any problems yet.
2018 Kymco UXV 450i
2021 Honda ADV 150

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2019, 02:47:22 PM »
Glad to see you persisted until you found it, and thanks for sharing!  Enjoy your ride....

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()