Author Topic: tire replacement  (Read 8487 times)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: tire replacement
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2014, 08:12:16 PM »
Your on my "suck it" list.

Just kidding Bro! I love ya!

I don't understand how you could leave here tho. Portland is right next to New Jersey in my list of places to never go. Detroit is just below them...
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2014, 08:42:13 PM »
Your on my "suck it" list.

Just kidding Bro! I love ya!

I don't understand how you could leave here tho. Portland is right next to New Jersey in my list of places to never go. Detroit is just below them...

No way. I live for summer in Portland. The winter is a little depressing but its worth it. I can't live when it's over 90.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

zevsdad

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2014, 09:00:44 PM »
Here are some pics of my tires--you guys let me know if I need to replace both, or just the rear, or neither(I'm thinking most likely the rear for sure)

thanks!

zevsdad

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2014, 09:11:15 PM »

Also go to...  http://www.kymcopartsmonster.com/  and get a new exhaust gasket. The pipe has to come off to replace the tire, and a new gasket is a must have.

Can you help me locate the gasket for the KYMCO People GTi300
is this the gasket?
http://www.kymcopartsmonster.com/pages/Catalog/Product/10892

sorry- I could not find it

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2014, 10:12:26 PM »
Rear is totally gone, you shouldn't let it get that bad. Can't tell from the picture of the front is bad. You have you feel the tire with your hand and make sure it's not feathered or cupping. If its smooth your good. If you have the money replace both, it'll feel like a new bike.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

boo

• I hate censorship people manipulate you
    • View Profile
I replaced my rear
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2014, 10:26:01 PM »
tire about two weeks ago. It had 8300 miles on it and a rope plug in it because I picked up a nail. Decided to put a new one on. I think the Maxis would have gone at least 9000 before it got slick.
A local cycle/scooter shop put me on a Michelin CityGrip.
I think on the rear, the muffler has to come off, one rear shock has to be taken loose, before they got to the axle nut.
They pulled the muffler loose from the exhaust pipe. No need for a gasket, and no leaks.
I had never put a tire on the rear of a scooter before so I paid to have it done.
Been out three times scuffing the new tire. No hard riding yet.
New tire runs true and smooth.

Tire, labor, tax included. $150. Ouch!.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 10:39:11 PM by boo »
300GTI black
Pro 2A - member GOA & NRA

boo

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2014, 10:32:13 PM »
Here are some pics of my tires--you guys let me know if I need to replace both, or just the rear, or neither(I'm thinking most likely the rear for sure)

thanks!

Front is ok for awhile.
Rear needs replacing now. I can see why your rear is slipping.
300GTI black

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2014, 10:56:45 PM »
18291-PWB1-900   SEAL EXHAUST PIPE   $6.84

That's the gasket for the pipe... For 10 bucks it's worth the peace of mind.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

zevsdad

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2014, 02:21:42 AM »
Well I went ahead and got front and rear Metzeler feel frees

http://www.bikebandit.com/tires-tubes/motorcycle-tires/metzeler-feelfree-oem-replacement-scooter-tire

170 out the door-no tax and free shipping--pretty good sale I think- and these look like the best out there.

I guess I'll have the shop do the rear and I'll keep the front tire in my garage and then replace the front in a few months.  Thanks for all the great advise here  I know I can always count on you guys for the top knowledge!  I'll be back on when it comes time for me to do the front-I think I may try it myself if you guys think it's possible.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2014, 04:40:19 AM »
Easy as making a mud pie. I use a "C" clamp to break the bead on the old tire. The rest is just like a bicycle tire.

Handy tip... Keep both beads in the CENTER of the rim when taking the tire off. The center is deeper, and gives you more room to pull the tire over the lip of the rim.

Latin for Stig:

Securus pie quasi lutum. Utor "C" frangere caput veteris Fibulae fatigatur. Cetera sicut liber fatigatur.

Donec suscipit tip ... Custodite tam globulis in centrum circuli aurei ut captus off tire. Medium altius dicat et locus super ripam rim trahere ignem.
 ;)

mrmike

• Syuracuse, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2014, 10:27:39 PM »
Hello!

I have a 2012  with about 7500 miles on it. the tires are looking a little worn-especially the rear tire where the tread is almost completely gone. I thought I felt a little slip today when I made a sharp right turn. Is it time to replace the tires? And if so-how?

Thanks in advance!

p.s will provide pics if needed

See my post in this section. I have a set of the stock Maxxi tires from my GTI300. They have 2400 miles on them and are in excellent shape. $20.00 each plus shipping.
Blue '23 People S 150i ABS   Moto Discovery GPS bar, Shad SH33 top case, Iridium spark plug, Black reflective graphics, Battery Tender ring terminal cable.

Past rides- '73 Honda 450, '00 Harley Softail Deuce, '10 Kymco People 150, '12 Kymco GTI 300, '21 Kymco X-Town 300i ABS

Scootaloot

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2014, 01:14:50 AM »
I am a big fan of Michelin City Grips. Usually run 13-15k miles out of a set. They are very good in the wet. Motorcycle Superstore usually has reasonable pricing.

zevsdad

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2014, 08:25:14 PM »
Seem like a popular choice here. I went for the Metzelers--will have the shop install and balance and report back here in a few days.

boo

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2014, 07:56:58 PM »
Seem like a popular choice here. I went for the Metzelers--will have the shop install and balance and report back here in a few days.

Tell us about total cost and what you think of your new tires.
300GTI black

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2014, 11:19:40 PM »
Easy as making a mud pie. I use a "C" clamp to break the bead on the old tire. The rest is just like a bicycle tire.

Handy tip... Keep both beads in the CENTER of the rim when taking the tire off. The center is deeper, and gives you more room to pull the tire over the lip of the rim.

Latin for Stig:

Securus pie quasi lutum. Utor "C" frangere caput veteris Fibulae fatigatur. Cetera sicut liber fatigatur.

Donec suscipit tip ... Custodite tam globulis in centrum circuli aurei ut captus off tire. Medium altius dicat et locus super ripam rim trahere ignem.
    I knew it you were a alter boy in your youth  now a Zombie wow!!!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()