Author Topic: Gasoline question  (Read 3278 times)

bluescoot125

• View Profile
Gasoline question
« on: October 30, 2014, 02:29:04 PM »
My agility 125 only has a 1.3 gallon tank so when I buy premium gas arnt I only getting whatever was left in the hose from the last person?

arcanum70

• View Profile
Re: Gasoline question
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 02:59:06 PM »
Yes.  If your gas station has only one hose and all three grades use it, the first gallon is whatever the last person that bought gas got.  Where I buy my gas each grade has it's own hose, so when I put premium in, I know that is what I am getting.  If you want to use premium (it's what I use) then it may be worth finding a station that has a separate hose for each grade of gas at the pump.
Build a man a fire and you keep him warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 04:14:19 PM »
Yes.  If your gas station has only one hose and all three grades use it, the first gallon is whatever the last person that bought gas got.  Where I buy my gas each grade has it's own hose, so when I put premium in, I know that is what I am getting.  If you want to use premium (it's what I use) then it may be worth finding a station that has a separate hose for each grade of gas at the pump.

do what I do go to the gas bar with car turn the hose on in the car then fill up a 5 gal can with gas for the scooter amen!

bluescoot125

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 06:07:07 PM »
  do what I do go to the gas bar with car turn the hose on in the car then fill up a 5 gal can with gas for the scooter amen!
this is what I've been doing there's a place that sells no ethanol premium and I go out of my way to get it and fill the car before I fill my scooter can

Vision

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2014, 12:18:20 AM »
From what I've read there is very little left in the hose; certainly not a gallon.

arcanum70

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2014, 02:34:54 AM »
From what I've read there is very little left in the hose; certainly not a gallon.

According to the American Petroleum Institute it's about 1/3 gallon in the hose, which is still enough to dilute it.
Build a man a fire and you keep him warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2014, 04:04:27 AM »
Ethanol free is the way to go!!!!
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

Jim Moore

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2014, 09:36:32 AM »
Why are you guys using premium gas? Just for the ethanol free factor?

arcanum70

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2014, 02:23:10 PM »

Because not everyone has the luxury of living in a state that has ethanol free gas.  I'm reminded of when my union tells me to boycott Walmart...My response is usually to tell them that if they want me to boycott Walmart I will when they build me a viable alternative to them.  For some reason when someone lives where they have choices, they think that everyone has those same choices.  So, to answer your question, that is why I buy premium gas and not ethanol free.

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2014, 03:29:12 PM »
The price difference to fill the scoot with 92 is hardly anything, that's why I do. Not all premium is alcohol free.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

Jim Moore

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2014, 10:53:17 AM »
Because not everyone has the luxury of living in a state that has ethanol free gas.  I'm reminded of when my union tells me to boycott Walmart...My response is usually to tell them that if they want me to boycott Walmart I will when they build me a viable alternative to them.  For some reason when someone lives where they have choices, they think that everyone has those same choices.  So, to answer your question, that is why I buy premium gas and not ethanol free.

Sorry, bro. I have no idea what you're tryinig to say.l

Jim Moore

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2014, 10:57:39 AM »
The price difference to fill the scoot with 92 is hardly anything, that's why I do. Not all premium is alcohol free.

I don't think it does you any good to fill up with premium. The engines on these things have a pretty low compression ratio. They don't need premiom. In fact, running regular gas may make your scooter a little more powerful.

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2014, 01:05:21 PM »

YES !!! I buy 92 oct. gas at Canadian tire for the ethanol free gas,  I tried reg. gas and got 200 miles out of it,  went back to 92 and got 225 miles out of it,

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2014, 08:22:10 PM »
I don't think it does you any good to fill up with premium. The engines on these things have a pretty low compression ratio. They don't need premiom. In fact, running regular gas may make your scooter a little more powerful.

There is no way a higher ping rated gasoline will lower performance. My 250 has a 300cc kit installed with higher compression, so 92+ is a must, not to mention the ignition timing is cranked up too. A 92o non-eth will have lower "ping" than a 10% eth 92o. That is why turbo'd cars run 80% eth gas. Either way it probably does not do much good to run 92 in most scooters, but most owners manuals will say use 90o gas, so I would at least use that.

De Dee, I too have found eth-free to DRASTICALLY improve fuel mileage. It's borderline worth the price ($4.50-$5 compared to $3.15-$3.50) but I rest easy when my scooter sits for a couple weeks and I know it doesn't have ethanol absorbing water into the gas. If I ever go pre-mix with my 50cc two stroke I will have a 5gal tank of mixed gas hanging out in the garage.

arcanum70

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2014, 08:29:00 PM »
Sorry, bro. I have no idea what you're tryinig to say.l

I'll type slower next time.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()