Author Topic: Well, my riding days are now over!  (Read 4570 times)

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
Re: Well, my riding days are now over!
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2014, 09:01:12 PM »
Wow, sorry to read all this. Just back from vacation myself so a bit late in my response. Glad to hear that no bones were broken and that you will heal in time. Wish we didn't lose you from the ranks of riders but I understand that being turned inside out like that will change you quick.

Best of luck and heal well and fast.

This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

wkreps

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2014, 06:00:48 PM »
Speedy recovery to you and like everyone here, I'm glad you lived to tell the tale.

ATGATT folks.
Wayne

Mscmkr

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2014, 12:57:55 AM »
Hey everyone, thank you all so much for your well wishes. It really does make things better to know there are such caring people out there. My road rash seems to be healing pretty quickly. My right knee is much better, and I can stand better on it without much pain. My left knee however, that's a different story. It's still swollen and very painful. Today is the first day I can stand without extreme pain to both knees.
    I have heard from the other guys insurance company, and they are saying it's possible they will deny the claim because he was delivering pizzas with the vehicle. I am not surprised by this at all. Insurance company's are the scourge of the planet. They will find any loupe hole they can to get out of paying. I'm very glad I made sure I had extremely good coverage on my insurance. They have already offered to provide a lawyer free of charge if I need one. They have also told me they are ready to file a claim if his insurance pulls anything. I will keep everyone updated as to how this works out.
    Wear your protective gear everyone. If I would have I would not have anywhere near the severity of the injuries I ended up with. I counted 7 riders just today with no helmets. It's not a matter of if you go down, it's a matter of when.

Please ride safe and as defensively as you possibly can, mscmkr

JTM65

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2014, 02:04:55 AM »
Glad your injuries were not more serious! I started riding 2 wheelers on the street in 1981, Suzuki FA50. I have ridden everything pretty much, scooters, sport bikes, cruisers, tour bikes, even had an R1150GS for a couple years. A lot of that riding was in some very challenging traffic environments. I have never had an accident in all that time and I rode year round for 6 of those years with the bike as my primary transportation. I'm not an exceptional rider, in my opinion. I have always gone by 3 simple rules for dealing with the exceptional level of idiocy that most cagers demonstrate on the road.
1) They don't see you.
2) No really, even though they made eye cintact and waved, they really don't see you.
3) Most important, if they do actually see you they are going to try to kill you anyway!

It may seem a bit paranoid, but it has worked till now. I hope you get back on that horse and I hope you recover fully.

JTM65 No scooter, but seeing a maxi scoot as my next bike.

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2014, 06:26:41 PM »
Just now saw this post. Really sorry for your misfortune. Thankfully you'll heal up in time. The decision to ride again is yours and yours alone to make.

I'll tell you about an experience I had and the decision I made after being in an accident. Back in the late 70s I was riding my motorcycle to work. As I made my way down the last mile a lady on a side street decided to ignore a stop sign and ran out in front of me. I hit the brakes and skid right into her left front tire. I went flying over two lanes of traffic and somersaulted a few times on the pavement. The bike spun around to the front of her car where she dragged it 50 yards before a motorcycle cop pulled her over. I was lucky. I sustained a slight concussion, bruising and stiffness. To be safe the cop called for an ambulance. She never apologized, had no insurance and she and her husband split the state that same day. The insurance company paid out less than what I owed on a bike that was just a few months old. After the accident I went back to driving, but missed the freedom of being on two wheels. Within a year I was riding dirt bikes then my brother bought a motorcycle. He hated riding and would borrow my car. Not wanting to be stranded I started riding his bike. I was hesitant at first, but over time my confidence grew and I was back to riding like I did before the accident. For me I'm glad I never gave riding up. Today am 55 years old and still love to ride. These days it's on a scooter.

bluesin

• 2012 DT 300i
    • View Profile
"There is a Fifth Dimension beyond which is known to Man. It is a Dimension as vast as Space and as timeless as Infinity......It is an area which we call 'The Twilight Zone' .   "Rod Serling

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2014, 02:48:07 PM »
Hey everyone, thank you all so much for your well wishes. It really does make things better to know there are such caring people out there. My road rash seems to be healing pretty quickly. My right knee is much better, and I can stand better on it without much pain. My left knee however, that's a different story. It's still swollen and very painful. Today is the first day I can stand without extreme pain to both knees.
    I have heard from the other guys insurance company, and they are saying it's possible they will deny the claim because he was delivering pizzas with the vehicle. I am not surprised by this at all. Insurance company's are the scourge of the planet. They will find any loupe hole they can to get out of paying. I'm very glad I made sure I had extremely good coverage on my insurance. They have already offered to provide a lawyer free of charge if I need one. They have also told me they are ready to file a claim if his insurance pulls anything. I will keep everyone updated as to how this works out.
    Wear your protective gear everyone. If I would have I would not have anywhere near the severity of the injuries I ended up with. I counted 7 riders just today with no helmets. It's not a matter of if you go down, it's a matter of when.

are you up to giving us an update?
Hope you're getting better.
Regards, Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

boo

• I hate censorship people manipulate you
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2014, 03:46:43 PM »

I found out later the guy that rear ended me was driving on a revoked drivers licenses.
Also discovered he was in trouble with the law because of DUI s.
He gave the police an insurance card.
His insurance company "Progressive" sent me a letter and said they would not pay because the guy was driving with a revoked licenses. According to them if a person is driving on a revoked licenses, they CANNOT have insurance coverage.
I had uninsured motorist coverage but, it is $250 deductible.
My damages were a little over $300.
I decided to eat it.
It gripes my ass that i'm paying out $1500-$2000 for auto and cycle/scoot insurance a year and I still have to pay out of pocket.
I have learned that insurance is only good if you have a serious accident.
300GTI black
Pro 2A - member GOA & NRA

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2014, 05:04:04 PM »
I'm w/ everyone here in saying glad you are ok. I'm even happier you made it out w/ your sense of humor.
I rode dirt bikes, and remember every crash I ever had. Both dirt, and street. What I remember the most is the sounds.Just like you. Usually me cursing while I was in the air. One wreck, I had enough air time to call the insurance company before I hit the ground (it seems anyway).

The worst is over, and I'm sure you'll find a good use for the Insc. $$$'s. Maybe get yourself a 50cc scoot. People just don't realize how much safer they are. When we crash it is usually one of those step off... Feet don't go as fast as the body... arms flail, and a direct hit on the pretty gal we were looking at in the first place.
Pick up the bike parts, twist the bars straight ish, find the cell phone, and cigarettes. Ride on .

Glad you're ok.

"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

arcanum70

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2014, 08:46:08 PM »
Glad your injuries were not more serious! I started riding 2 wheelers on the street in 1981, Suzuki FA50. I have ridden everything pretty much, scooters, sport bikes, cruisers, tour bikes, even had an R1150GS for a couple years. A lot of that riding was in some very challenging traffic environments. I have never had an accident in all that time and I rode year round for 6 of those years with the bike as my primary transportation. I'm not an exceptional rider, in my opinion. I have always gone by 3 simple rules for dealing with the exceptional level of idiocy that most cagers demonstrate on the road.
1) They don't see you.
2) No really, even though they made eye cintact and waved, they really don't see you.
3) Most important, if they do actually see you they are going to try to kill you anyway!

It may seem a bit paranoid, but it has worked till now. I hope you get back on that horse and I hope you recover fully.

JTM65 No scooter, but seeing a maxi scoot as my next bike.

No, not paranoid.  Lessons 1 and 2 were learned quickly by me when I started driving truck.  It's amazing how many people "don't see" the 70 foot long 80,000 pound, 13' 6" tall vehicle.  So, with that being said, I transferred that knowledge over to the bike along with lesson 3.
Build a man a fire and you keep him warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()