Author Topic: Overtorqued screw and thread repair  (Read 475 times)

Faber32

• View Profile
Overtorqued screw and thread repair
« on: January 19, 2022, 08:21:20 PM »
Hi everyone :) I'd like to help a friend that has overtorqued the screw in picture on his People GTi. It's one of the three oil filter cap screws. After the fact, he told me he removed only a little piece of metal from the threaded hole (right at the entrance), but then he was able to screw it back and close the cap. It doesn't leak oil for now, but the screw it's not torqued with much force, so my fear is that it could get loose with vibrations?
Anyway I was asking myself if in that position is possible to make new threads easily or it is a serious problem. Before taking the scooter to a mechanic and he gets ripped off, I'd like to know better what's the seriousness of the situation. If you have suggestion, please let me know. Thank you very much :)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Overtorqued screw and thread repair
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2022, 12:04:29 AM »
I wonder....if you left the cap off, then threaded screw in with fingers....if you'd feel any sideways 'play' on the screw. Indicating damaged threads. Mechanics would probably tell you to re-tap the hole, use larger screw.
It shouldn't be too hard to do it right there.

And, I'd never torque a fitting this small. Hand "Snug" and then stop!!....which I'm sure he's figured out now ;)
Stig
« Last Edit: January 20, 2022, 12:14:24 AM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2022, 12:44:31 AM »
Agree with Stig on tighten technique.
Repair by Helicoil the best. Helicoil or similar kit with drill bit, tap and insertion tool, directions included. Probably a thousand videos showing how it is done.

It produces a finished repair that is truely better than the original. The Yager had a similar filter cover arrangement with the tiny 8 mm hex head bolts holding it on. Those were the days!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

mousejunks

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2022, 04:52:32 AM »
Definitely agree with the above. A helicoil kit is the best solution and not too difficult for a permanent fix.
'09 Kymco Espresso 150i
'11 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS - 79,500km
'17 Kymco Downtown 350i ABS

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2022, 10:21:52 AM »
@Faber, as mentioned by Stig, CROSSBOLT, mouse, a HELICOIL insert would be the best and most durable solution.

2nd best would be drill through with 5 mm, retap 6mm, put a longer 6mm bolt

3rd best a bigger (8mm) thread

4th best (if all other fails) driling completely through and put a long 5-6 mm bolt and nut there.
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

Faber32

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2022, 10:43:28 AM »
Guys, thank you very much :-) My fear was that it was impossible the repair, but now he has peace of mind in case it could leak. You're awesome thank you!! :-)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()