Author Topic: Malossi Variator installed  (Read 1824 times)

Triesandluth

• Getting it, a mile per hour at a time
    • View Profile
Malossi Variator installed
« on: June 26, 2015, 01:23:02 AM »
Put in the malossi Variator that I bought with the bbk.  I decided to stay with the 7 gram sliders that I had on the stock Variator.  My initial takeoff went from 8000-9000 rpms WOT, which by the tecnigas power band chart from the link on the other thread is ideal, to 9500+rpms. It seems a bit much for the pipe,  which I assume is a next r,  I bought it used.  The expansion isn't as big as the triops from what I can tell. 
It also feels like a bit much to my preference. I really don't find it necessary to be sucking down all that fuel when I'm not trying to race off every time.  I'm going to slap in the rollers that came with it which are 9g just to try them until I get some heavier sliders. 
My top end didn't shoot my rpms up any, though.  About the same if not better...
Just thought I'd share,  maybe some of you have had similar experiences. 

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Almost...at...speed...limit... Aww, brake lights..

Triesandluth

• View Profile
Re: Malossi Variator installed
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 02:05:28 AM »
Threw in the nine gram rollers that came with it. Those crafty Italians! It seems that is the exact setup it needs for m my rear pulley set up. Runs between 8-9000 rpms,  seamless shifting, no bogging coming out of corners or going uphill. It's amazing!

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 02:30:35 AM »
I installed the Malossi variator on my People 50 2T with recommended 5gr rollers and Malossi purple torque spring.  I experienced the same, probably worse, wanted to rev to the moon, top speed way down.  I installed the 9gr rollers that came with the kit and put the OEM torque spring back in and works about perfect for me.  The People 50 2T is down on power compared to my Super 9 LC, so bear that in mind.  CVT on People has really nice performance from dead stop, not too busy, just right.

On my Super 9 LC, I installed Dr Pulley 6.5gr sliders, with red fly springs and yellow torque spring that came with the scooter when I bought it used.  I also installed the Malossi torque controler.  I tried the white torque spring that came with the kit and was too stiff, wouldn't move out of low range gearing.  I don't like the red fly springs, too busy on take-off, but otherwise CVT is working great, very nice operation.  I baby it from dead stops or clutch gets hot and slips too much, but once gets going is very sweet.  I am waiting for OEM fly springs and plan to swap out the red ones.

I wasn't going to buy another Malossi variator, but I got another one after you posted the good deals at ScooterWest.  I bought the variator and the BBK for AC.  I plan to put the BBK on my People and will put the variator on my Super 9.

Based upon my limited experience, I think the Dr Pulley sliders with OEM variator work about as well as Malossi variator with rollers.  I bought 3 sets of Dr Pulley sliders 6.5, 7, and 7.5gr.  So far I tried the 7.5 and 6.5, but will probably try he 7gr too.

It really steps up performance when you get the CVT dialed in.

Cheers
1st and 2nd usually have an unfair advantage.  3rd is usually the best, can learn the most from.  paraphrased from Don Quixote, over 400 years ago, still true today

Triesandluth

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 02:11:04 AM »

It really steps up performance when you get the CVT dialed in.

Cheers

It really does. I'm amazed at what I've been missing this whole time. I feel it's also improved my top speed. The rpms are at a much happier level all the way through. I still have yet to bury the tachometer like I used to and have already hit my previous top speeds. That could be from help of the kit as well.
The white spring was too stiff? I was under the impression that it was the weakest of the malossi springs. That's why I've stuck with my yellow 1500 rpm spring. Bear in mind, I've also installed the ball bearing torque spring base which adds to the pressure on the spring.
Also the new spring would break in considerably, from my previous experience with a new one.

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 02:51:10 PM »
If you will compare the white spring to another one, it's longer, has more coils, you are not getting the regular Malossi white torque spring (or, at least I didn't).  The instructions say something about it being reinforced for Peugeot.  It's some kind of a screw up to have it in this kit IMO.

I ran into the same thing with the Malossi torque driver, it doesn't kit Kymco scooters, but can't get anyone to listen.  It's a Malossi, can't be anything wrong with it?  Anyway, I have a like new Malossi white torque spring and torque driver I will sell for cheap lols.

With the Malossi variator, I got a little more top speed too.  I think the variator moves the belt out just a touch more for a little higher gear ratio.  A very good variator upgrade, Malossi did a great job on this one.

Cheers
1st and 2nd usually have an unfair advantage.  3rd is usually the best, can learn the most from.  paraphrased from Don Quixote, over 400 years ago, still true today

Triesandluth

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2015, 04:01:36 PM »
I agree, good job on the variator.
I had bought a new torque spring right after getting my nine, the guy assured me it was correct, but it seemed way longer than the red spring I had in it. After running it, I also stomped on it, primitive style, lol, and it reduced to similar size of the spring that was in it.
Anyways, let me know how much you get selling your torque spring. I will most likely be following you on that one!

Triesandluth

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2015, 04:05:56 PM »

The instructions say something about it being reinforced for Peugeot.

Hey, instructions? Did I get those? I saw a book for the bbk, decided to use that for later, maybe bathroom reading. My variator didn't, I don't believe...

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()