Author Topic: Hello - Upgraded to a new Downtown 300i - LOVE IT!  (Read 4250 times)

lizzaanne

• View Profile
Hello - Upgraded to a new Downtown 300i - LOVE IT!
« on: June 04, 2013, 02:41:15 PM »
Hello Everyone.  I've just spent two hours reading the forum and I'm so impressed with all the valuable information I've read about oil changes, tires, spark plugs etc.  I owned a Buddy 125cc for the past 5 years and a week ago bought a 2013 white Downtown 300i. After moving to the 'big city' I needed something I could take on the freeways.  I'm still adjusting to the larger size but am loving it.  Can't wait to see what type of mileage I get!  Just want to say "Hi". 

The only 'issue' I've noticed with my scooter so far is a loud, sharp wind noise that starts around 30 mph and gets louder the faster I drive.  Has anyone else had this issue?  Thanks & safe scooting to all.

moparkid

• View Profile
Re: Hello - Upgraded to a new Downtown 300i - LOVE IT!
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 03:01:24 PM »
Welcome Lizzanne.

Though I am also new to the kymcoforum I too have learned so much from others here. Congrats on the new 300DT. I went from a 1985 Honda 150 Elite to the 300DT a few months ago and the difference was like going from a mini bike to a motorcycle. You're gonna really appreciate your new bike when you need to scoot between traffic. I am not sure of the wind noise you speak of. But then again I didnt have a fairing on my 150 and the DT does have a decent wind screen so for me the noise is less than it was on my Honda. And welcome to the forum, there are so many knowledgable folks here and whatever questions you might have someone here will have an answer.

MaryK

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 09:27:47 PM »
Windshields and helmets can interact to produce noise at increased speeds.
My DH has a different helmet for his Interceptor than for his Nighthawk because the different windshield heights/shapes
cause more noise if he wears the wrong one.

So, see if you can borrow a different helmet to wear long enough to test for your noises.

scoot safely,
New Rider in 2010

2009 GrandVista 250

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 09:40:07 PM »
I too, have a DT 300i and have to agree it is a cruiser. Don't know about the wind noise above 30 mph. Don't think I have it on mine. Does not seem to make any difference what speed is dialed in, it all seems the same above 40 mph. Yes, change helmets if you can and see if there is a difference. The DT will grow on ya!

Oh, yeah. Get the valves checked for clearance. Mine were really tight from the factory.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

maxhush

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 03:39:53 PM »
I get an interesting windnoise when strong wind hits my windshield at a certain angle as near as I can figure (prevailing wind direction, high wind velocity, my speed, and my angle to the wind seem to factor into it).  I stopped worrying about it, but I do notice it when it happens at higher speeds on certain days. I have also noticed I hear a lot more noises with certain helmets than others. I hear very little with the Bell Revolver modular I wear in cooler weather. The HJC open face with a shield installed and the neck padding removed I use in Summer, I hear a lot more.
2013 Kymco Downtown 300i
2010 Honda SH150i

lizzaanne

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 06:14:53 PM »
Thanks everyone!  I will certainly experiment with helmets and can borrow a couple from a friend.  I only have a 'half helmet' and need to buy a full face helmet yet.  I stopped in the dealership where I bought the scooter and the mechanic took it for a ride and also heard this 'wind noise' and assured me it was nothing mechanical.  He didn't have time to look at it more closely but I will have him when I get my top case installed, hopefully early next week.  Thanks again!

wakeupmaggie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2013, 02:44:29 PM »
I'm picking up my Downtown 300i tonight. :)  I made my decision to buy this scooter based on the good things most have to say about it and the price.

My other bike is a 1973 Honda CB350.  It's the same make/model/year and color bike that I bought in 1973.  My husband bought me this one last year for my birthday so I'm working on getting my motorcycle license back.  I let it slip away many years ago.

I'm seeing lots of good information on this forum and decided to join.  Hello to you all.

Somerset County, New Jersey
DT300i

MaryK

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2013, 08:41:21 PM »
Welcome lizzaanne & wakeupmaggie.

Scoot safely and wear your safety gear.

Have fun and keep in touch on the forum

New Rider in 2010

2009 GrandVista 250

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2013, 02:03:21 AM »
Welcome lizzaanne and wakeupmaggie.... Ride safe...!

wakeupmaggie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2013, 02:59:24 PM »
Thanks!  I'll have to wait until Andrea passes to get out for my first ride.  Hopefully, that will be on Sunday.
Somerset County, New Jersey
DT300i

JMV

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2013, 02:44:48 AM »
I too am new to the DT300. I had one in the past, but not for long. I ended up trading it for a Burgman400. Anyways, I'm back on a DT300 and it's better in my own opinion regarding price, practicality, performance and cost than the Burgman 400. I've heard a lot of good things about KYMCO; time will tell. From my understanding, these guys are up to par with Honda quality...

claynine

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2013, 12:46:51 PM »
I am driving a Like 200i.  I ordered a windshield with it so i drove it without windshield for a week or so.  Then the windshield came and I hated it.  It was too small and caused lots of wind turbulence around the small windshield and was constantly buffeted and wind was loud.  I purchased a Givi that was huge.  It covers my hands and high enough to wear a hat...Like a cowboy hat and it stays on.  I thought it would be too tall but after riding with it, I am spoiled.  It's quiet, I can hear the blinkers.  I can have a nice conversation with the passenger and no buffeting from the wind at all.  I got caught in the rain once and didn't even get very wet.  It's a personal preference for sure.  But with the noise and buffeting gone, the scooter is more fun to ride.  It's an easy choice.  Big windshield for me.  Congrats on the purchase!   

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2013, 07:50:16 PM »
JMV, the Kymco history is they started in 1963 building engine units for Honda since they could not keep up with the demand caused by"You meet the nicest people on a Honda!" I don't think you will be disappointed. Just don't expect a whole lot out of either the Owner's manual or the Service manual. Kymco is currently making engine units for BMW, scooters and dirt bikes.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

boo

• I hate censorship people manipulate you
    • View Profile
welcome Lizzaanne
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2013, 10:45:41 PM »
and welcome to the forum.
Glad you are pleased with your new ride.
300GTI black
Pro 2A - member GOA & NRA

Rbt Jean

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2013, 10:47:58 PM »
Welcome to the forum lizzaanne and wakeupmaggie.  I don't have a dt300 as yet but thats where i'm going.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()