Author Topic: How hot is hot?  (Read 1425 times)

stuo

• View Profile
How hot is hot?
« on: October 31, 2018, 06:32:59 PM »
When is the GV250 running hot? One of my 2009 GV's, with 16K miles on it, never goes over two bars on the temp gauge, the other, with 10K miles, will zoom up to four bars often, especially when standing still, then drop to two bars at speed. I checked the coolant, fan operation, oil level, everything seems OK. it runs fine, brakes aren't dragging. Could it be the water pump? How does one test the pump and coolant circulation.

If I didn't have two identical twin GV 250's I wouldn't worry about it but the difference between the two is dramatic. I also notice my DT300i with 3K miles on it never goes over two bars on the temp gauge.

Comments? Has anyone actually measured the coolant temperature at each bar? At how many bars on the gauge should one worry about overheating?
2009 GV 250

hypophthalmus

• View Profile
Re: How hot is hot?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2018, 11:01:29 PM »
The radiator is completely filled to the neck? And you're sure there isn't air in the system? It doesn't look sludgy/brown?

If the fan is coming on, that would suggest that it's circulating to the radiator, since that's where the temperature switch is. The radiator should also be hot. You could also visually see the coolant flow into the neck, although careful doing this as it rises/spills over pretty fast.

stuo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2018, 07:46:33 PM »
Yep, Hypo, the radiator and reservoir are full, fluid looks good, radiator gets hot. I haven't drained/refilled the radiator recently, I doubt there is air in the system.

Perhaps I am worrying needlessly, but I would like to know at what point the gauge is saying: "overheating". Four bars? Five? The manual says the gauge goes to six bars but doesn't say what that means, which is why I welcome comments from other Kymco owners on their temp. gauge readings.

What is the usual reading on your scooter's temp gauge as you ride it? Does it ever go up to four bars?
2009 GV 250

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2018, 01:13:34 AM »
Measure temperature with any of the cheap cooking thermometers available. That small kind that are about the size of a pen will do. The one with a round dial about an inch in diameter. Just hold it against the same surfaces on each bike until the needle stops moving. You are looking for differences.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

hypophthalmus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2018, 06:35:52 PM »
My People 250 had an analog gauge, and would stay in the middle of it nearly all the time once it was hot. I think maybe it would sometimes get a bit hotter in stop and go traffic, but the changes weren't sudden.

The temperature gauge reads the coolant temperature coming out of the thermostat housing, which might be hotter than the radiator, and cooler than the engine block.

My guess would be somewhere in the middle is normal operating temperature, 5 bars would be concerning, and 6 bars would be critical.

stuo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2018, 12:07:23 AM »
Thanks, guys, for your input. I think I'll stop worrying and fussing with it unless it hits five or six bars.

Yesterday I rode two-up on my 2011 DT 300 in 80 degree weather at 75mph for a solid hour: two bars on the temp gauge.

Go figure...
2009 GV 250

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()