Author Topic: People gti 300 advice  (Read 2670 times)

Aron

• View Profile
People gti 300 advice
« on: September 21, 2020, 06:37:16 PM »
Hello, old member here, had a P 250 back in 09', had to sell due to job location change but now I'm back on board with a scoot I'm picking up next week.
It's a 14 People gti300 with 4500 miles on it. I had no issues with my last one and liked the power/weight ratio of it so I'm hoping I'll like this newer model even better.
Won't be riding it on highway but will be travelling some roads that are 50-65 for a short distance, seems like this scoot will handle it better than my old one would have. If you have any advice as this scoot seems to be all stock except for the windshield please let me know...not sure if there are any must upgrades...maybe larger top box since under seat storage is so little. Also, not sure if I should just change the drive belt since it's been 6 years. Any advice on what to look out for etc...also would be great. Person I'm purchasing it from is older and seems very honest, told me he wanted to wait to trailer it to meet me due to the fact it's never been in the rain and he doesn't want to get it wet.
Another quick question; what is a good helmet now that has a complete pop up face shield and is good quality?
I let my old one go with my last scoot so anything that could save me research time would be great.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: People gti 300 advice
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2020, 08:21:43 PM »
Recommend you go to your largest local mega-brand motorcycle dealer and try on several helmets.
Watch some videos on getting a proper (safe) and comfortable fit.
See what the dealer has to offer.
Most of us feel that buying the best helmet which you can afford is the best idea.

Also, many experts point out that the helmet is THE most visible object on a scooter/motorcycle rider....so choose a color with that in mind....like white.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Aron

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2020, 08:52:51 PM »
Thanks for the input on the helmet...yes, I totally agree and have an assortment of ARAI and SHOEI from my sport bike days although I still have my Sprint ST from 2000 that is parked for one of my boys some day. 
I couldn't agree more on fit and visibility being the main things.
I just know for low speed I want something that has a flip up face and is very cool in the summer. I'm in the Southeast. Since I have not been riding at all for the last 6-7 years I was not sure if there was a new favorite cap among the scooter clan. I appreciate you chiming in!

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2020, 10:57:07 PM »
Wife has a GTi300 People which has the same engine drive unit as the Downtown 300i. You can expect 74 to 76 mpg summer 68 to 70 mpg winter. You MUST refuel at 100 miles to give you reserve. Very stable easy to ride and maintain. Hiflofiltro HF-566 filter cartriges available on Amazon and elsewhere. Tires may be a problem since we never changed hers yet. Fuel injection a dream! Should start on second revolution of engine every time hot or cold. Something is wrong when more than two revolutions. Battery critical. Use Yuasa if you can afford. Chrome Battery if you can't. Freeway capable if desired or required, no sweat. You may want to think about changing brake fluid and coolant fairly soon if either look funky. Have fun! Welcome and you did well!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2020, 11:01:16 PM »
Wife has a GTi300 People which has the same engine drive unit as the Downtown 300i. You can expect 74 to 76 mpg summer 68 to 70 mpg winter. You MUST refuel at 100 miles to give you reserve. Very stable easy to ride and maintain. Hiflofiltro HF-566 filter cartriges available on Amazon and elsewhere. Tires may be a problem since we never changed hers yet. Fuel injection a dream! Should start on second revolution of engine every time hot or cold. Something is wrong when more than two revolutions. Battery critical. Use Yuasa if you can afford. Chrome Battery if you can't. Freeway capable if desired or required, no sweat. You may want to think about changing brake fluid and coolant fairly soon if either look funky. Have fun! Welcome and you did well!
By the way, 4500 miles is not broken in yet! Fully seated id around 7 to 8 thousand miles. And inspect the tires for cracks...
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Aron

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2020, 02:26:44 AM »
Crossbolt; West TN...I'm in Chattanooga. Thx. for the information and the encouragement on the choice. Looked at brand new but honestly like the higher output of the GTI. I'll miss the space under my seat like my 09 People 250 but I'm using this for a straight commuter due to lack of parking at my job. I thought about getting the new xtown 300 for the warranty but I don't think it's worth 2k more other than of course it's new, has more under seat storage and abs. But, weighs more, smaller tires and has considerably less hp. Always trade offs but the man I'm getting it from sounds very particular, like me which is a good thing.
My only concern is finding parts for it. Just hope it will not need a whole lot. My last one went 20k miles before I sold it and still drove like new. Never even put breaks in it, just basic maintenance, checked valves once, they were perfect. I did have to change the weights once. Looking forward to the FI. My people 250 would do ok on the short hwy. bursts i had to do once in awhile but I honestly felt the motor was working too hard.
I've  scoured the for sale ads, considered burgman, 200, 400 and a Yamaha majesty 200 but power weight ratio just didn't compare. There is also a really nice 2013 BMW 650 about 2hrs away, all the bells and whistles, 1050 miles, $5500 but too heavy for around town for me. I bet fit and finish are nice but too many high priced things that if they break its costly.

Rhodan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2020, 01:01:13 AM »
I have a 2013 People GT 300i that I picked up used in 2014.  Never any problems.  Enjoying the heck out of it still.  I just use the top box that comes with it and the nice flat floorboards if more space is needed (grocery runs for example) or a bungied bag on the passenger part of the seat.  I do short freeway runs (60+) with some frequency; the scoot does it easily and still has some left in reserve.

I did have my drive belt changed because the owners manual had it on the "scheduled maintenance" list but honestly the mechanic said it had plenty of life left in it.  Sounds like a good buy!  Hope it checks out OK.

Aron

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2020, 01:45:56 AM »
Good to know! What is your current mileage and when did u do the drive belt? I think mine on my 06 0250 lost a chunk at 15k and I ended up replacing the weights and belt.
I'm wondering if I should put better weights in it to begin with...?
How about fluids...any preferences with this engine? I always ran synthetic in the engine and gear resevoirs.
My only worry is the seat. I had a lot of tailbone pain with my 06. I tried an airhawk barely inflated and it still caused pain.

Rhodan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2020, 03:08:02 AM »
Between 6-7 k.  I split time on it with a motorcycle so it probably hasn't gotten all the miles it deserves.
I just take it into the local Kymco dealer for servicing; can't help you with the specifics on fluids.  I had the belt done late last year.  It hadn't come anywhere near the miles but the manual has a miles/years replacement recommendation so I did it.  Like I said, I don't think it was really necessary based on what the mechanic said.

I hear you on the seat.  Part of the issue for me is the slight forward slope.  I've been considering getting it redone by a local upholstery shop but since I rarely ride it more than an hour or two at a time I've been putting it off; it's been fine for the shorter time/distance.

Trucker jay

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2020, 01:59:11 AM »
I live close to you, over in Whitwell.  You buy the white gti that was in Lebanon Tn if so that was a good deal. I got a 2012 black gti was going to get that one but got my yearly bonus and looked on market place and the add was gone.

Aron

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2020, 04:27:41 AM »
No, it was down in Gulf Shores but it fell thru. Ended up with 14 Downtown from Indiana. Much better deal..Only 800 miles..brand new used scoot.

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2020, 09:15:39 AM »

I just know for low speed I want something that has a flip up face and is very cool in the summer. I'm in the Southeast. Since I have not been riding at all for the last 6-7 years I was not sure if there was a new favorite cap among the scooter clan. I appreciate you chiming in!

Flip up lid is probably the way to go then.  I went for an LS2, not the best in class, but a good mid price option.  Caberg may also be worth a look if you don't want to step up to the Shoei / Arai / AGV price range?  As Stig says, good fit is really important!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

GoBigDog

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2021, 05:00:26 PM »
No, it was down in Gulf Shores but it fell thru. Ended up with 14 Downtown from Indiana. Much better deal..Only 800 miles..brand new used scoot.

Hi, I apologize for reopening a thread from last fall, but I just found this. Aron, did you buy the burnt orange Downtown 300i from outside of Hunginburg, IN?  I drove over an hour each way from Mitchell, IN, to see it and almost bought that scoot.  And the biggest thing that kept me from buying the Downtown was a lack of room in my garage, ha.  Congratulations on getting the Kymco!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()