Author Topic: Newbie First Bike Oversights  (Read 2877 times)

yodaismycopilot

• View Profile
Newbie First Bike Oversights
« on: August 12, 2020, 09:50:10 PM »
Hello People 150 community!

I just bought my first bike and a few things occurred to me very quickly that somehow I had not considered before purchasing. Any advice or comments would be insightful and appreciated...

All of the following occurred to me after a few days of riding:

1) I have no idea how to change a flat tire (or repair it?). Also, what tools to carry? Or do I call a tow truck and send the bike to a shop?

2) My full face helmet and glasses fog up. The only solution I can think of is to carefully exhale downwards or switch to a 3/4ths open-faced helmet with prescription goggles. Taking my glasses on and off with a tight fitting helmet is difficult. But then, maybe a goggle strap would get pushed up and down with taking the helmet on and off and be futile. Or maybe a 3/4ths helmet would offer a tad more room for taking my existing regular glasses on and off?

3) I need to dress the part. Got stuck out late and I was way too cold.

4) I'm practicing and getting better but I still feel like I'm going 55 MPH when I'm going 30 MPH. I feel unstable when going more than about 40 MPH and am afraid to lean into curves at higher speeds. I honestly don't have a feel for how much I can lean without incurring a lowside crash. My fear of leaning seems to hamper my ability to follow the road and ride effectively at higher speeds (45-55 MPH). Dangerous. Guess I need way more practice.

5) The stock rear view mirrors are simply unacceptable. I can't see behind me. Riding without good rear visibility seems super dangerous and unfair to me and the others I share the road with.
    What are my options short of selling the bike? Maybe handlebar end mirrors?

Thank you.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie First Bike Oversights
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2020, 12:02:32 AM »
You would benefit greatly from taking a local motorcycle safety course offered by professional riding instructors.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2020, 01:23:19 AM »
Stuff to know:
RE What Stig said..yes.  Do this.
RE Fogging.  You can get a helmet that uses an insert, or you can apply "Cat Crap", or some other defogger. You can also leave the faceshield up just a tetch to let some air in.
RE Mirrors.  can't say Geometry's different for everyone.  Bigger mirrors, bar end mirrors, extenders or just always check behind by turning your head before maneuvering (they teach ya that in those classes Stig was talking about)
RE Dressing.  Dress in Layers.  Always check daily weather/hourly before ya go out.  Carry an extra layer if out for extended times.
RE turning...About that class Mr. Stig talked about...
2008 SYM HD200 "Niwanibiz"
2018 Suzuki Burgman AN650z "Bebaamaadizid"

k9 S200 (Blue) "Max" (Sold)
k8 SYM HD200 "Indigo" (Deceased)
k7 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Ohanzee" (Sold)

yodaismycopilot

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2020, 08:41:39 AM »
You would benefit greatly from taking a local motorcycle safety course offered by professional riding instructors.
Stig

I took the California Highway Patrol Rider Safety Course. But I don't think I ever got over about 30 MPH.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 09:33:34 AM by yodaismycopilot »

yodaismycopilot

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2020, 08:44:42 AM »
Stuff to know:
RE What Stig said..yes.  Do this.
RE Fogging.  You can get a helmet that uses an insert, or you can apply "Cat Crap", or some other defogger. You can also leave the faceshield up just a tetch to let some air in.
RE Mirrors.  can't say Geometry's different for everyone.  Bigger mirrors, bar end mirrors, extenders or just always check behind by turning your head before maneuvering (they teach ya that in those classes Stig was talking about)
RE Dressing.  Dress in Layers.  Always check daily weather/hourly before ya go out.  Carry an extra layer if out for extended times.
RE turning...About that class Mr. Stig talked about...

Thanks for the input. May I ask, however: how does an insert prevent fogging? Thanks.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 09:32:34 AM by yodaismycopilot »

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2020, 11:30:43 AM »
The science isn't as important as is the fact that
it works. Google about pinlocks for the science.
I wear spectacles, too....and a modular full face helmet. I keep it cracked open quarter inch.
It works.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2020, 11:34:56 AM »
I took the California Highway Patrol Rider Safety Course. But I don't think I ever got over about 30 MPH.
Find a State Park and spend several weeks riding several hundred miles there. When you're more comfortable on your scooter, begin increasing your speed in very low traffic areas.
If you remain really uncomfortable. ...tske an advanced riding course....or park it and sell it. Not everyone is suited to ride.
Stig.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 11:38:02 AM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2020, 12:47:35 PM »
Two observations:
1.  Pinlock - Listen to Stig.  They work!
2.  Training - Do the Advanced training sooner, rather than later.  One day it will save your life!  If I could talk to my 30 year-old self that would be what I would stress.  When I think back to all the mistakes and near misses I experienced back then learning the hard way, I would have loved to know there was an easier way of doing it!  Heck you'll even have fun doing it if my experiece is anything to go by.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2020, 12:53:20 PM »
Hello People 150 community!

3) I need to dress the part. Got stuck out late and I was way too cold.

5) The stock rear view mirrors are simply unacceptable. I can't see behind me. Riding without good rear visibility seems super dangerous and unfair to me and the others I share the road with.
    What are my options short of selling the bike? Maybe handlebar end mirrors?

Thank you.

3) This is largely a matter of choice (and wallet thickness), but a good helmet, gloves and boots are ESSENTIAL in my opinion.  Almost as important will be a jacket and trousers (pants in the US?) which offer some impact and slide resistance.  Waterproof items a real bonus as this will offer wind chill protection too!
5)  I'm using extenders on my scooter.  A cheap option which work well for me.

Finally, get out there and enjoy yourself while building up your experience.  Rome wasn't built in a day.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 08:06:23 AM by Neil955i »
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2020, 06:11:41 PM »
As noted by Stig, they work.
Living in a very very humid area, Seattle, there have been times it's been overwhelmed, but that's only been a couple times in the 10 years or so I've used them.

The insert is basically a thin and very soft sheet of plastic that seals against the inside of your faceshield.  The type of plastic resists fogging, but is very soft, so not suitable to simply use as a face shield itself.
PinLock is the name of the HJC insert and system there are some generics out there, my experience with those was mixed.  I think a couple other companies use a different name for basically the same thing. 
The PinLock system is the one I've used along with a generic version at one point that worked OK, but gave me some double imaging at night.  It was thicker than the PinLock, so that may relate to that.
The "Pin" of the PinLock references the two plastic pins that hold the insert in place on the faceshield.

The System works, but there are a couple drawbacks.

They're soft (really soft) so can be scratched badly if you're careless.
You have to be careful cleaning them.  They must be clean or they'll start fogging a bit anyway.
They "wear" out.  Plastic ages.  As they wear they become harder and resist fog less.
You can get some double imaging, nothing fatal, but the clarity just ain't there as much at night.

Cat Crap is a waxy substance your rub in and buff out.  As long as it's in play (lasts roughly 3-4 days for me in the winter here, a bit longer in summer).
There are some spray on versions that are similar, but don't work as well in my experience even if ya shake 'em up.  They are quicker to apply so I  have those around as well.

Keeping your faceshield up about 1/4" - 5mm helps a lot particularly at lower speeds.  At higher speeds I am usually able to put it down and just use my normal breath box and lower vent.

Thanks for the input. May I ask, however: how does an insert prevent fogging? Thanks.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 06:19:17 PM by Tromper »
2008 SYM HD200 "Niwanibiz"
2018 Suzuki Burgman AN650z "Bebaamaadizid"

k9 S200 (Blue) "Max" (Sold)
k8 SYM HD200 "Indigo" (Deceased)
k7 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Ohanzee" (Sold)

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2020, 07:14:11 PM »
1. What everyone has said.
2. Re-emphasize MSF Basic Rider Course and Advanced course ASAP.
3. Riding gear: Dress for the slide. NO shorts, no flip-flops, no no-helmet. ATGATT All The Gear All The Time is what is hammered in MSF. There are others here that ride way casual and that is fine, their choice, I will never flame them nor lecture. Your choice. I am old, cranky, got enough aches and pains just sittin' writing this so I dress for the slide just crossing the parking lot!
4. Report in here daily as to your progress, ask questions anytime. We all have an opinion if we don't know the correct answer! Har, har!
5. Tell us where you are located..
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

yodaismycopilot

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2020, 05:35:27 AM »
The science isn't as important as is the fact that
it works. Google about pinlocks for the science.
I wear spectacles, too....and a modular full face helmet. I keep it cracked open quarter inch.
It works.
Stig

Just watched the Revzilla presentation on pinlocks. Looks like a real solution! I had no idea such a thing existed.

yodaismycopilot

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2020, 05:38:00 AM »
Find a State Park and spend several weeks riding several hundred miles there. When you're more comfortable on your scooter, begin increasing your speed in very low traffic areas.
If you remain really uncomfortable. ...tske an advanced riding course....or park it and sell it. Not everyone is suited to ride.
Stig.

Ah, thank you. Sounds like a need a lot more practice and patience and a safe environment like your park suggestion.

yodaismycopilot

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2020, 05:40:24 AM »
Two observations:
1.  Pinlock - Listen to Stig.  They work!
2.  Training - Do the Advanced training sooner, rather than later.  One day it will save your life!  If I could talk to my 30 year-old self that would be what I would stress.  When I think back to all the mistakes and near misses I experienced back then learning the hard way, I would have loved to know there was an easier way of doing it!  Heck you'll even have fun doing it if my experiece is anything to go by.

Thanks for your sage wisdom and the endorsement of pinlocks. I just watched a Revzilla presentation on them. Looks affordable as well. I'll be looking up the model number for my helmet to see what I need.

yodaismycopilot

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2020, 05:44:41 AM »
As noted by Stig, they work.
Living in a very very humid area, Seattle, there have been times it's been overwhelmed, but that's only been a couple times in the 10 years or so I've used them.

The insert is basically a thin and very soft sheet of plastic that seals against the inside of your faceshield.  The type of plastic resists fogging, but is very soft, so not suitable to simply use as a face shield itself.
PinLock is the name of the HJC insert and system there are some generics out there, my experience with those was mixed.  I think a couple other companies use a different name for basically the same thing. 
The PinLock system is the one I've used along with a generic version at one point that worked OK, but gave me some double imaging at night.  It was thicker than the PinLock, so that may relate to that.
The "Pin" of the PinLock references the two plastic pins that hold the insert in place on the faceshield.

The System works, but there are a couple drawbacks.

They're soft (really soft) so can be scratched badly if you're careless.
You have to be careful cleaning them.  They must be clean or they'll start fogging a bit anyway.
They "wear" out.  Plastic ages.  As they wear they become harder and resist fog less.
You can get some double imaging, nothing fatal, but the clarity just ain't there as much at night.

Cat Crap is a waxy substance your rub in and buff out.  As long as it's in play (lasts roughly 3-4 days for me in the winter here, a bit longer in summer).
There are some spray on versions that are similar, but don't work as well in my experience even if ya shake 'em up.  They are quicker to apply so I  have those around as well.

Keeping your faceshield up about 1/4" - 5mm helps a lot particularly at lower speeds.  At higher speeds I am usually able to put it down and just use my normal breath box and lower vent.

Thanks for the varied and valuable insights. Turns out I have an HJC helmet! Just discovered the pinlocks in this thread.  :)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()