Author Topic: 450i motor break-in? Trail riding higher low?  (Read 588 times)

dlongo

• View Profile
450i motor break-in? Trail riding higher low?
« on: April 08, 2017, 11:39:59 AM »
Picking up my 450i today and was wondering when riding the trails are you guys using high or low. Assuming normal trails. Also can you can shift on the fly to four-wheel-drive.  Last question I promise, is there a break in for the motor, RPM, speed etc.  Thanks!!

k9bitten

• View Profile
Re: 450i motor break-in? Trail riding higher low?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2017, 11:53:56 AM »
Shift on the fly, yes. Flat smooth trails high is fine. You'll be able to know when you need low range after a little operating time. Just like a car let's you know you need to downshift.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2017, 04:23:24 PM »
   For most trail riding where your moving along at 20 mph or more then high is fine. If moving along at slow speed or thru mud or serious hill climbing then low might be a better choice. Key reason is keeping the drive belt cool. When running low engine rpm is higher keeping belt fan at a higher speed to cool the belt. In very rough trails or going thru heavy mud the cvt shifts frequently causing the belt to overheat (possibly) so this is where low would be an advantage. You manual has a breakin period, no wide open for at least 100 miles, vary your speed frequently, check your oil frequently. As far as 2wd into 4wd on the fly yes you can but be sure to back off the throttle when doing so, do NOT shift on fly while accelerating.

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2017, 04:25:42 PM »
    By the way, welcome to the forum, let us know how you like your 450i after you get some ridin time on her. So far I have heard no complaints from other owners. I do know I am enjoying the heck out of mine!!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()