Author Topic: bogging issue  (Read 638 times)

superflydude

• View Profile
bogging issue
« on: November 30, 2023, 12:15:29 AM »
2005 zx50.  It was running fine until recently when it began to bog down with full or nearly full throttle.  No noticeable breaks in gas or vacuum lines. Replaced fuel filter with no improvement. Noticed that air filter cover not fully closed as there was a screw missing in upper left corner. Could this cause it?  Also gas in air filer element, which I had noticed earlier this summer.  I ignored it as it continued to run fine. What is with the rubber cover over carb?  Also, it has an carb overflow line?  What is rubber hose coming from engine cover to rubber carb cover? Engine heat keep carb warmed up?  Most likely cause of problem?  Can I just strip off rubber carb cover to get at carb?  Thanks.

superflydude

• View Profile
Re: bogging issue
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2023, 02:44:27 PM »
Would the airbox not being fully closed cause bogging issues? Spark plug is also quite old, but it looks like a pain to remove.  It starts and idles fine. Just bogs down under load. Thanks for the help.

superflydude

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2023, 05:02:09 AM »
I guess I made the mistake of thinking that this forum was for helping people out, even a dreaded "newbie."

superflydude

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2023, 05:21:04 AM »
It seems like the new fuel filter is not filling much at all. Could the petcock not be opening  fully under vacuum?  It does not leak gas when fuel hose is removed from petcock, but it only seems to trickle gas into filter when running. This makes me think that when under heavy throttle, the carb is starved for fuel and bogging. I have placed fuel filter below tank with minimal hosing material to carb since it is a gravity fed system. Thanks.   

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2023, 05:51:22 PM »
First - welcome to the forum!

And, sorry for your lack of help here.
Darn few here ride a 50cc scooter - these days.
There are some very active 50cc scooter web forums - which may be able to help you with your bogging issue.

Good luck ~!
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

superflydude

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2023, 07:52:57 PM »
Thanks for responding. I figured out that it was a petcock issue after all. Any idea what forums could help me in future?  I may upgrade to a larger scooter in future, but my two stroke is plenty zippy with top speed of 45 w/o major modifications. Plus, I get that groovy chainsaw sound.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()