Author Topic: Screen or No Screen?  (Read 548 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Screen or No Screen?
« on: August 12, 2022, 11:45:10 AM »
I prefer riding without a screen in front of me.
Maybe that's a leftover from my motorcycle days as a youngster.
Removed the big stock screen on the Burgman 400. Replaced it with a low "sport" Ermax. Liked the effect much better.
Plus...I ride daily in the dark, with mists, fog and rain...and don't want to be trying to look through that mess on a screen.

I know guys prefer a big screen.....wonder if they ride much in the dark and rain behind it?
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Screen or No Screen?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2022, 12:32:13 PM »
I have 1 large screen (Helix) and 2 small (People S200 and Ninja). The large screen has its place in the cooler weather. I could ride with my visor open on my Helix if I wanted due to the lack of frontal air flow. That lack of airflow also contributes to being more uncomfortable on hot days.

My small screens are great for warm weather when I want more airflow to keep cool.

Even though the screen is tall on the Helix I do look over it and not through it. I can't imagine riding having to look through a dirty or bug covered screen!
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 - work in progress

mrmike

• Syuracuse, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2022, 01:05:42 PM »
  When I had my Harley Softail Deuce, I wouldn't dream of putting a windshield on it. It wasn't cool in my book. As a result, I probably never rode it over 60mph. I've had 3 scooters since then. They all have windshields, and I love that. My People 150 peaked out about 55, but the 2 300cc's since then let me cruise comfortably at 70+ if desired. If I tried a windshield on my Harley, I may still be riding it. The Puig 6790H windshield I have now is perfect. My line of sight is just over the top of it, so rain and dark aren't a problem. If I have to, I just slouch down a little, and I'm out of any wind.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2022, 01:09:59 PM by mrmike »
Blue '23 People S 150i ABS   Moto Discovery GPS bar, Shad SH33 top case, Iridium spark plug, Black reflective graphics.         

Past rides- '73 Honda 450, '00 Harley Softail Deuce, '10 Kymco People 150, '12 Kymco GTI 300, '21 Kymco X-Town 300i

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2022, 09:42:23 AM »
Still have the stock screen on my X-Town. Look over not through it. If I replaced it, then I’d go smaller.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Mancashire

• NE Ohio B400
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2022, 11:00:11 PM »
A windscreen please. Preferably below my view of the road ahead - just high enough to prevent most wind from hitting my torso. When riding in rain or cold temps, I prefer to be behind the screen. My condo opens onto a 4-lane US highway so don’t have much opportunity for slow-paced scooting.  Most of my riding is at 40 -50 mph in the country or on the Interstate at 70+. I want to enjoy by ride and not have to fight to stay on the seat.

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2022, 09:23:59 AM »
A windscreen please.  I want to enjoy by ride and not have to fight to stay on the seat.

😂. Lol
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

rjs987

• 2022 Kymco AK 550 - Matte Deep Blue
  • Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2022, 08:36:18 PM »
A windscreen please. Preferably below my view of the road ahead - just high enough to prevent most wind from hitting my torso. When riding in rain or cold temps, I prefer to be behind the screen. My condo opens onto a 4-lane US highway so don’t have much opportunity for slow-paced scooting.  Most of my riding is at 40 -50 mph in the country or on the Interstate at 70+. I want to enjoy by ride and not have to fight to stay on the seat.

Agree with this.
My Gold Wing ended up with a tall Tulsa screen that extended way up above my helmet. I was attempting to make it more comfortable for my wife on the back seat. That Tulsa screen did the job... for her. But the resulting experience convinced me that I NEVER want to be looking through that extra layer of plastic ever again. So on my ST1100 the screen top edge was right at my line of sight while riding so I cut off 3 inches, and was tempted to cut it down another 2 inches but then sold that bike.

I did put a taller screen on my CTX1300 but the stock screen was 4 inches tall and really only decoration. The tall screen was still significantly below my line of sight. As above, I only really need the screen to cut some of the wind when riding the highways.

Both my Burgman 650s and my AK kept their stock screens since those were plenty for me. Just enough to cut the strong blast of the wind but not enough to prevent some breeze. I like having the wind hitting about the top of the clear visor so the vents on top my helmet work better, and hitting on my arms so the bicep vents in my jacket work well. And I DON'T like the back wash blast on my back because of the screen blocking too much of the wind. Besides, I AM, after all, riding a motorcycle/scooter. If I wanted a dead air bubble I'd ride in the car.
/bob
2022 Kymco AK 550 Super Touring Extreme in Matte Deep Blue
RETIRED - US Navy and Air National Guard and civilian career

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()