Author Topic: ABS - A boon or a distraction?  (Read 660 times)

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
ABS - A boon or a distraction?
« on: May 08, 2022, 08:03:19 AM »
OK full disclosure, when ABS, linked braking etc., was first introduced to the biking world I was firmly in the sceptics’ camp, believing I was handing autonomy over to an electronic device.

So, my view now after experiencing both? Well, still not a huge fan of linked brakes as there are times I only want to use my rear brake; but ABS?  I’m a convert. There have been a handful of occasions now (including one yesterday) where I know the ABS has saved me at best binning the scooter and at worst suffering broken bones!

Yesterday’s example was a classic SMIDSY scenario. Built up area in a neighbouring village where a car’s driver made eye contact with me and still pulled across my path to turn into a day nursery car park. Fortunately I was doing 25-30 mph and already covering the brakes. Full emergency stop mode engaged + ABS = drama free stop with only my heart palpitations to show for it.

Would I have stopped safely without the X-Town’s ABS? Probably, but nice to have the reassurance. To quote Hill St Blues, “Be careful out there”!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
Re: ABS - A boon or a distraction?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2022, 02:03:01 PM »
ABS = fantastic and life saving! Imagine that situation without ABS and the ground a little damp or sandy...you're surprised, grab a handful of front brake on a surface without great traction and what happens? You go down.

linked brakes? never quite understood that one as on a bike the need for rear only at times is very useful. ..but ABS is a lifesaver, no matter what many ol' curmudgeons will argue!
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 - work in progress

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2022, 09:19:16 AM »
My thoughts precisely Hawk.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2022, 08:35:41 PM »
ABS fine.   Not sure it makes up for lack of skill or awareness

Linked brakes, having had more than 2 bikes with linked braked=they suck.   I use rear brake as balancing aide in some, slow, situations.

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2022, 05:39:47 AM »
You’re right John, it’s no substitute for skill and awareness, but maybe a useful adjunct?
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2022, 01:02:33 PM »
ABS is there for the time I need it.....same as my full-face modular helmet is there for my face, gloves for my palms, boots for my feet, jacket for my elbows  shoulders and back, riding pants for my butt hips and knees.

If I want to get out of my truck and into the mess called traffic while sitting on my scooter --- I'm thankful for all of the above.

Won't keep me safe - but should cut down on my self-inflicted damage. Which figures show is where most of my danger lies.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2022, 01:32:10 AM »
ABS is great, linked brakes suck.  There is a reason they don't put linked brakes on dirt bikes.  Linked brakes suck on slippery surfaces.  There are times when you want to use just the rear brake and that happens often when off road.  My Like 150i has combined brakes which link the rear brake to the front.  At least it has ABS to keep the front from locking up.  Linked brakes normally make it less likely that the front brake will lock up but less likely you will lock the rear.

There are some linked brakes out there where they are linked front to rear instead of rear to front.  In that case you can use just the rear brake but not just the front.  Some BMWs have that feature. 
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2022, 08:08:46 AM »
Couldn’t agree more Klav.  If I hitting a bend in damp conditions,I want to be able to steady the rear, i do NOT want to have the front coming on!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()