Author Topic: 12 volt tire inflator  (Read 1410 times)

airshot

• View Profile
12 volt tire inflator
« on: December 24, 2016, 07:37:25 PM »
   Been thinking about adding a 12v tire inflator to my tool kit on my SxS.  Have one currently but it is a real cheap unit, very loud, gets hot in just a minute and takes forever to inflate a tire. Looking to get a better unit, haven't found very many reviews except on the Slime units and many reviews have been questionable, so.....What are you guys using and how good is it and how well has it held up...thanks in advance...looking for recomendations

k9bitten

• View Profile
Re: 12 volt tire inflator
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2016, 08:04:29 PM »
   Been thinking about adding a 12v tire inflator to my tool kit on my SxS.  Have one currently but it is a real cheap unit, very loud, gets hot in just a minute and takes forever to inflate a tire. Looking to get a better unit, haven't found very many reviews except on the Slime units and many reviews have been questionable, so.....What are you guys using and how good is it and how well has it held up...thanks in advance...looking for recomendations

I had a little Slime unit packed in my gear and it does the job but I bought a Ryobi with a digital gauge that uses the 18V One+ battery and it works great. I already had some other ryobi tools and a couple of the good batteries so I picked it up on sale at Home Cheapo for around $30.00.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-18-Volt-ONE-Dual-Function-Inflator-Deflator-Tool-Only-P731/203060297?cm_mmc=Shopping%7cTHD%7cG%7c0%7cG-BASE-PLA-D25H-AirCompressors%7c&gclid=CjwKEAiA1vjCBRDd-9q3w4OF6WUSJACWv_sVqtqt4Tze1NrOjNqkt7LhSz4oLqqcl8SU_JRg7yQpnhoCPC7w_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.amazon.com/Slime-50001-Power-Sport-Smart/dp/B000M8SY0I
« Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 08:08:42 PM by k9bitten »

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2016, 09:40:24 PM »
   Sounds like a cool little compressor, but I would prefer to use the vehicle battery so I have less to carry. I see a lot of the Slime units around and that was what got me to thinking about upgrading, but the reviews were sort of mixed so wondering if something better was out there. Thanks for the reply!

beermak

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2016, 02:31:08 PM »
I have a small slime 12v compressor and gets the work done in calibrating a tire. Havent tested a fully deinflated tire yet..
But im happy with it so far!

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2016, 03:25:18 PM »
I have several slime compressors, I keep one in every vehicle, but I would never ever use the slime goopy stuff in a tire again, it rots the tire from the inside out
RandyO
IBA#9560

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2016, 03:34:23 PM »
I have several slime compressors, I keep one in every vehicle, but I would never ever use the slime goopy stuff in a tire again, it rots the tire from the inside out

Yes I found out much later that you should remove the tire and patch from the inside, the slime goop is only a temporary repair and should be removed within 2 years. It didn't rot anything, it just turns to water and leaks back out all the plugs and holes you have in your tire. You would think they would explain that on the container when you buy it.  Good to hear the positive feed on their compressor, the online feed was questionable.

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2016, 07:25:04 PM »
  I picked up a dandy from air lift   $139.00 in 1996  for my van as it was over loaded daily,  I hooked it to the air lift bags and a hose to fill tires, it has a preasure Reg.  built in,  after 20 years it still runs perfect,  you can adjust it from 5 Lb. to 50 Lb. 
   just looked them up  at air lift.   
  100 Lb.  $ 76.20        150  Lb.   $ 115.00    over $ 450.00 remote control  200 Lb.s
« Last Edit: December 25, 2016, 07:44:00 PM by de dee »

Bratman2

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2016, 04:09:36 AM »
Viair 70p. Had mine about 3 years. Runs fairly quiet, puts out a decent amount of air and gets very high reviews. Just under $40.00.
2019 UXV 700i LE Hunter
2014 MXU 450i
2004 Mongoose 90 (grandson's)
2010 Grizzly 450

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2016, 01:10:37 AM »
   Well I was talking to the wife about my tire inflator ideas the other day and she mentioned that she thought I already had one.  So I went out to the barn and searched thru my camping equipment and sure enough I do. I had forgotten all about the Cambell Hausefield unit I purchased many years back to blow up heavy canvass air mattresses.  I have a waterproof duffle bag to store all my camping gear from years gone by, sort of like a bug-out bag with matress, sleeping bag, changes of clothes, radio, flashlight etc everything I would need for a quick getaway and sure enough there was the little compressor. Hooked it up and it works great, added a drop of oil here and there as it has been many years since I have used it. At my age I don't think there will be any more quick trips....more like a leisurely get up and go when I feel like it.  Anyway thanks for all the ideas and recommendations, I will keep them in mind for when my current unit ever quits working.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()