Author Topic: Acerbis Flash Hand Guard Installation Help Needed  (Read 2684 times)

fshfindr

• View Profile
Acerbis Flash Hand Guard Installation Help Needed
« on: November 16, 2011, 09:47:35 PM »
With my arthritic fingers, I want more than gloves for the cold.  I bought the Acerbis Flash Hand Guards, which look really neat with the lights.  The guards are attached to the handlebar ends with expansion bolts that are approx. 3 inches long.  The plastic end piece must be removed in order to insert the expansion bolt.  The end is screwed into a plastic piece inside the handlebar, which is about half an inch deep into handlebar.  In order to install the expansion bolt I must remove the insert that holds the end screw.  Therein lies the problem.  Is there anyone out there who has removed this piece or who knows how to do it, or anyone who has successfully installed the Acerbis Flash Hand Guards?   ???

Thanks,
Richard L.
Richard L. in Bellmawr
Keep The Rubber Side Down & The Helmet Side Up

full of days

• View Profile
Re: Re: Acerbis Flash Hand Guard Installation Help Needed
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 04:01:13 AM »
I didn't use the expansion bolt pieces that came with the guards...  They come with the kit for folks that need it but i used the stock threads in each bar.

fshfindr

• View Profile
Re: Acerbis Flash Hand Guard Installation Help Needed
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 02:26:32 PM »
full of days; That's my plan but I was hoping to use the full mounting kit.  How do you like them?

Richard L.
Richard L. in Bellmawr

full of days

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2011, 03:09:53 PM »
The hand guards are good for what they are.  They wont do much if anything in a crash but keep the wind/rain off a little bit. 

The lock nuts that come with the handguards go inside a standard bar but do not need to be used since the bars already have a threaded retainer inside the bar.  You'd have to get new bars or drill out whats already there, but whatever floats your boat amigo.

fshfindr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2011, 04:22:56 PM »
I did it your way.  I used what was already there, works fine but I don't know how effective it will be for the wind.

Richard L.
Richard L. in Bellmawr

fshfindr

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2011, 12:35:58 AM »
These hand guards to protect from the wind are minimally effective.  They are good quality and look neat on the bike, but not worth it for wind protection.

Richard L.
Richard L. in Bellmawr

CommuterScooter

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2011, 06:54:17 PM »
Thanks for the report fshfndr.  They looked like a good idea and I like the lights on them but it sounds like for the price they are not worth it.  I've installed heated grips on my bike and that has solved my problem for cold hands and they were only about $20 more.  I was hoping for some protection from rain but it sounds like they just don't do a good enough job.
09 Xciting 250

fshfindr

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2011, 07:37:19 PM »
I have since purchased (Wife's Christmas present) battery operated heated gloves.  I lowered the guards and together with the gloves, I stay warm.  The gloves are expensive, but worth it.  They stay under the Christmas tree when I am not riding.  She's a good woman. 
Stay safe.
Richard L. in Bellmawr

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()