Author Topic: rear drum brake rubbing?  (Read 1532 times)

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
rear drum brake rubbing?
« on: December 28, 2016, 05:10:34 PM »
so I was bored on Monday and looking for a project....decided to disassemble and clean my rear drum brake on my People s200 since it has squealed with light braking since I got it.

I took pics but they are on my ipad and too large (?) to upload, here...hmmmm...got 'em attached..pics are from disassembly...

It was very easy to do...exhaust removal is 2 nuts and 2 bolts (new exhaust gasket on order from local Kymco dealer). The plastic tub has to come off to remove the shock's top bolt. Then you just have the black metal 'y' shaped metal bracket and the wheel nut. The plastic 'tire hugger' also needs to come off..but that is just 3 bolts.

Wiggling the wheel off took a little doing as it doesn't just slide straight off..it bumps into the back of the motor a little.

The brake shoes are easy to get out. Some brake cleaner and a light sanding with 120 grit cleaned them up nicely. Same with the inside of the wheel hub where the shoes press against. Added a little grease to the 2 pivot points and put it all back together.

My issue is now when I rotate the wheel I hear the brake shoe(s) rubbing at one point in the revolution..I'm planning on loosening the rear wheel nut and re-tightening, while keeping the rear brake activated. I recall reading about drum brakes and the suggestion to always apply them when tightening the wheel nut...

Any other suggestions for a rubbing rear brake?...seems kind of odd that they would rub...   

2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 - work in progress

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
Re: rear drum brake rubbing?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2016, 05:32:00 PM »
couple more random pics...just because...
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2016, 08:08:03 PM »
Did you make sure the brake adjustment screw was lose while you put the bakes back together. then after back together you adjust theam to your needs. I cant tell much from the pic but one of the pads looks thinner then the other....Sometimes new is better.some brakes have wear markes on theam some are red and some are blue .if pads gone past that you need new. or even the springs might need to be replaced,    good luck...

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2016, 08:51:58 PM »
sorry for the low res pics...emailed them to my phone, then texted them to my email and saved on my laptop in the low resolution...probably easier ways to do it...

but both brake shoes have plenty of pad material and are equally worn, the pic doesn't show it very well. I did not loosen the adjustment screw before reassembling...I may just pull it all apart again and try it again...on a good day I can get all the plastics off in about 10 or 15 minutes...on a bad day it can take 30 - 45 minutes if the plastic clips aren't cooperating..

added a dab of dielectric grease in all the electrical connections that need to be taken apart (tail light, lic plate light and lighter socket under seat)..makes it a lot easier.
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2016, 08:53:20 PM »
had to post again...it's number 100! Woo hoo!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2016, 10:34:10 PM »
Good job.....if ya ever need more plastic clips they sale theam at harborfraight.

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2016, 02:13:03 AM »
If you have adjusted the rear brakes and it only rubs on a part of a revolution it most likely is an indication that your rear drum is out-of-round. In my experience this is verry common and if it does not cause excessive pulsing while braking, it is a non-issue. Just adjust the cable until you feel resistance, and then back it off a hair.
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2017, 08:43:43 PM »
to follow up on this...just went out to garage and loosened axle nut....also loosened brake adjusting nut a little...applied rear brake (had wife do this) and put 2x4 in back wheel spokes (to stop any rotation) and re torqued the axle nut. Wheel now spins freely with no rubbing!

I hope it works fine....I'll know in 3 1/2 or 4 months from now when I can ride again!

2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2017, 01:56:24 PM »
Thanks for the update. Glad you got it sorted out!
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()