Author Topic: Malossi Torque Driver 618317 install  (Read 9333 times)

Triesandluth

• Getting it, a mile per hour at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Malossi Torque Driver 618317 install
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2016, 07:52:25 PM »
I would get the longer boss drive, the bit the variator slides on, to let the wider belt sit low for takeoff, then the width of the belt would compensate for the extra length of the boss drive. The belt length would be to sit higher on the rear for takeoff and higher on the variator at full speed. I'm hoping I'm on to something here.
I've heard back and forth on gears fitting and not. And some sets are a quick swap, others have to be pressed on and are quite a pain unless you have special machine shop tools or are really crafty.
This will be my last performance purchase for my s9 until I get the tgb build back on track. Then I will try my luck at the gears and maybe intake. The intake I'll do myself, I want to keep the stock airbox for wet weather riding. And it's a bit quieter. Maybe I'll get the oem look alike that's 20mm. Still undecided.
I should receive all my parts soon, I'll let you know what happens!

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Almost...at...speed...limit... Aww, brake lights..

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2016, 06:53:21 AM »
Yes, the stock airbox is quieter, but I really like the pod air filters.  I have done a fair amount of kart racing in the rain mainly 2 cycles and the pod air filters with the outer cover worked OK for me.  I don't think a little moisture hurts the engine, just so long as you run it awhile after you are out of the rain, so it can dry out.  Actually, if I could find a nice airbox that would fit on scooter I would get it, but haven't seen anything I like yet.  I just know I don't care for OEM air filter.

I normally oil the outer filter sleeve some and slip it on.  When the outer sleeve looks dirty, I wash in hot soapy water.  The main filter, I never wash, if got dirty would probably just replace.

I have pod air filter on the People 50 2T BBK and it's loud.  Still have the OEM exhaust, so I am thinking will be pretty loud with Tecnigas pipe, may wear ear plugs.  Will install Tecnigas soon.

Good luck on CHT mods, I will be looking for updates.  Cheers
1st and 2nd usually have an unfair advantage.  3rd is usually the best, can learn the most from.  paraphrased from Don Quixote, over 400 years ago, still true today

paceneedsstides

• Cuz I can't drive...55!!...No I mean that I try...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2016, 06:58:25 AM »
did you see my write up in tech section bout high flow air filter element?
2013 Kymco/Malossi Like 70 2T
Technigas Next R Chrome exhaust
Malossi Dellorto 19mm Carb
94 main jet
Malossi Multivar
Dr Pulley 6gr Sliders
Malossi Blue Rear Pulley Spring
Malossi Torsion controller
Stage 6 Sport Pro Clutch
Stage 6 upgear kit
Malossi PHBG Open Racing Filter Chrome Covered

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2016, 07:25:58 AM »
pace, yes just read it, good thread.  I actually have some Uni red filter material, and have used it, but still like the pod filters better.  Cheers
1st and 2nd usually have an unfair advantage.  3rd is usually the best, can learn the most from.  paraphrased from Don Quixote, over 400 years ago, still true today

paceneedsstides

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2016, 05:00:00 PM »
I want to keep mine as stock looking as possible for the moment only thing that is not stock on that is noticeable is the exhaust right now. I'll probably put snorkel restriction and OEM filter element back in during BBK breakin will still suck more air cuz of the two 1" holes in side of box but maybe won't have to upjet so much.
94 main jet
Malossi Multivar
Dr Pulley 6gr Sliders
Stage 6 Sport Pro Clutch
Stage 6 upgear kit

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2016, 02:28:15 AM »
I think the OEM airbox can be modified to work as well or better than pod air filter.

I mainly like pod air filter because it is so simple.  When I used to work on my original S9, I always had trouble getting the rubber part off the carb, usually went flying across the driveway when came off.  Plus a bunch of screws to remove to get to the filter material.

I am used to pod filter, been using them for 1/2 my life, so that's what I naturally like, they are not better than OEM otherwise.  Cheers

Triesandluth

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2016, 09:09:31 AM »
I run a mad air flowing stock box!  Close to amphibious as I can get. Would Probably drown the whole bike before getting more than just some splashes in the filter 

Triesandluth

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2016, 04:56:16 PM »
Just thought I'd share, the ncy torque driver also has a little step like the malossi. Not as extreme. And luckily my ball bearing base has the appropriate angle to accommodate it with no modifying necessary! I'm only going to use the base, not with the bearings for now. Maybe later.

Here's the stock collar, then the bearing base. Note the angle, which was useless with the stock torque driver, causing it to dry out of lube and sling it everywhere.

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2016, 03:21:51 AM »
Working on installing 2nd Malossi torque driver.  I will install this one using the other available grooves to see what difference it makes, if any.  Hard to tell, but I think 2nd set of grooves has a little less angle (like the top of the dog leg on the OEM torque driver, has less angle, the portion that comes into play top end when the driven pulley is fully apart).  As I understand it, less angle allows the torque driver to change position easier/ faster.  Anyway, I will see what it does and report back.

I checked how the belt fit within the driven pulley with the Malossi torque driver and indeed it appears to go a little lower in the pulley, approx another 1/8 inch lower.  Very cool, if actually does go lower, should give a little more top end.  So Malossi variator on the front helps top end, and appears Malossi torque driver on the driven pulley helps too.

Seems like my experience too, the S9 that has both the Malossi variator and torque driver is fastest scooter I have.  I haven't riden with son-n-law on his Honda PCX150 (gold standard) yet, but I am pretty sure it will be a little faster than my other S9 with just the Malossi variator.  I thought is was just the straight grooves and only helped acceleration/ reacceleration, but now I think there may be another added benefit, a little more top end. 

Cheers

Triesandluth

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2016, 12:19:27 PM »
I knew I wasn't crazy. Some people are still skeptical. I'm hitting new high speeds with lower rpms now that I don't have that hump holding me back

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2016, 04:28:56 PM »
Cool, you proved it, I was getting results too, but didn't know why, your a genius.  Cheers

Triesandluth

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2016, 09:31:00 AM »
Now now, let's not get carried away lol. I can't give the td all the credit. There's a new belt in the mix. Can't remember if that's before or after I posted that though...

TheAmishSasquatch

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2016, 12:48:13 AM »
Tries, did you say the stock rear pulley on another kymco model doesn't have the hump/weld? What rear pulley are you using?

paceneedsstides

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2016, 01:04:41 AM »
I hear it's the Agility 50 that doesn't have it
94 main jet
Malossi Multivar
Dr Pulley 6gr Sliders
Stage 6 Sport Pro Clutch
Stage 6 upgear kit

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2016, 03:35:02 AM »
My 2nd install started giving me trouble, wasn't running consistent, so I disassembled and inspected today.  This one I used the Malossi bottom o-ring instead of the OEM Kymco o-ring and I think it allowed the grease to leak out.  The problem was it was running dry, so wouldn't turn enough rev's until it got warm/ hot then acted different/ more normal.

I cleaned it up, re-greased it, put it all back together with the OEM Kymco bottom o-ring.  Note:  better to use the Malossi o-ring on the top, otherwise very difficult to assemble with the thicker OEM Kymco top o-ring.  So, use larger Kymco o-ring on the bottom of the torque driver, and use the smaller Malossi on top.  The Kymco o-rings are thicker than the Malossi, but the bottom has larger OD, the top smaller OD.

I used the set of slots that were marked to try, wasn't sure how I had it originally, but thought I used the non-marked set.  Went for test run and wasn't turning enough rev's to work properly, so I took it apart and put the torque driver back on the non-marked set of slots.  Went for test run and still wasn't working right, wasn't turning enough rev's, but a little better.  Evidently, the non-marked slots are a little steeper angle than the marked slots, so takes a little longer for the pulley to move out?  Wasn't working right, so I disassembled again.

I figured I could either change to stiffer torque spring or change to lighter sliders, I changed to lighter sliders, because I think will be faster with weaker torque spring and lighter sliders.  I had 7.5g Dr Pulley sliders in it, so I changed to 7g, put it all back together and went for long test run.

Ran great, best it's ever run.  Even with worn belt 16.5mm wide, still had great top end.  I measured new belt I already have and it's approx 17.6 as I recall, so when I replace it should have just a little more top end with new belt.  Acceleration is awesome, re-acceleration is awesome.  It runs like a monster.  Cheers

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()