Author Topic: New S8 150 Owner  (Read 6308 times)

manimal

• 2013 Super 8 150
    • View Profile
New S8 150 Owner
« on: August 20, 2014, 02:37:03 PM »
Hey All,

Just thought I'd say hello <waves>

I ran across this forum when I was researching scooter models to choose from. I had also browsed different threads within this forum as well.

I just purchased my first scooter over the weekend; a brand spankin new 2013 S8 150 (5 miles on the OD). Started my break in on Sunday, a whole 26 miles (kept speed under 40mph and varied throttle).... lol

Attempted to start my commute to work yesterday (tues) on the scooter, but experienced a mechanical issue; reached speed up to 45mph and motor decided to shut down. Fortunately, traffic was not too heavy and I was able to make it safely to the side of the road. I was able to restart the bike a moment later and then make my way back home. Well, on the way back, the motor shut down a couple more times (both above 40mph), but was able to get the motor started and was able to get home.

I had contacted the dealer and informed him of my experience, and replied that it's quite possible there may be or had some debris / particles in the fuel system that may have contributed to my issue. He said to keep riding it, as it may pass (think of passing kidney stones .... lol). His last comment was if this issue persists, to bring it in. Unfortunately, the dealer is nearly an hour away.

After getting home from work, I removed the trunk to inspect the carb area ... I had read of some carb threads that others had posted. Inspected all the hoses; from carb to air box, and to the gear box. Some hoses looked close to being kinked (near sharp bends), so I made some routing adjustments. I then inspected the carb, intake manifold, boot, and air box. All hardware securely fastened.

Shortly after, I took the scooter out around the block, and seems to run fine, as it did when I kept the speed under 40 mph. I do plan to add more break in miles this weekend, and also take it out to an isolated area (no traffic) and test the waters again ...... to see if I can repeat the issue.

Any how, I thought I would share with you all my experience. Who knows, maybe someone else here had the same experience that I may be able to learn from.

I will keep this thread up to date as to whether or not the issue persists.

Happy riding :)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 02:43:18 PM by manimal »
~Daren
California (Nor*Cal)

wkreps

• View Profile
Re: New S8 150 Owner
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 08:10:50 PM »
Welcome. Hoping you are enjoying your Super8. If it happens again, I'd make an appointment with the dealer.
Wayne

manimal

• 2013 Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 08:44:47 PM »
Thanks Wayne :) Btw, thanks for your contribution to the forum, members, and S8 owners. Your video's have been very helpful and informative. :thumb up

An update .... I began to take it out to put on some more break in miles today. Unfortunately, it happened again (motor shut down), not long after I got onto an open stretch of road and up to a cruising speed (40mph). Long story short, I dropped off the scooter at the dealer (50 min. north of me).

I've been around motorcycles since 91. from my experience and or of others over the years, I suspect vapor lock. One of the tech's at the dealer suspects the same. Any how, I will keep you up to date as to what the dealer finds.

Even tho' I only have 33 miles on the bike, I like it so far. I love that I can just hop on it and go, having trunk space, no clutch and shifting, great gas mileage, and most of all, it's up right seating position (no stress on my lower back) :p
~Daren
California (Nor*Cal)

wkreps

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 02:48:03 AM »
Wayne

manimal

• 2013 Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 02:18:23 PM »
Thanks for the link, Wayne.

Hopefully, this will be an easy fix, and not as painful as to what others have gone through.

I plan to call the service department today and inquire if they are equipped with a dyno, and or make note to the technician that the failure happens on an open stretch of road where they need to maintain a cruise speed @40+mph. The dealer is in San Francisco; lots of hills (up and down and stop and go traffic).
~Daren
California (Nor*Cal)

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2014, 03:13:13 PM »
Sounds a lot like vapor lock. Have your dealer to off the crappy emissions system. Your bike will love you
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

manimal

• 2013 Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2014, 09:12:54 PM »
Update ...

The short: issue resolved

Fix: The dealer tech disconnected the gas tank vent hose from the emissions plumbing and connected an extension, then routed it along side the case vent / catch hose that hangs down beneath the bike.

The long: Got the scooter home yesterday, then took it out today for some break-in miles and to see if indeed the issue was resolved. Gradually got the scooter up to 50mph (varied throttle along the way). The motor ran perfect throughout the ride, 26 miles added.

I had contacted the dealer early in the week and was informed the bike was ready for pick-up. I asked what was done, the service guy replied the tech had re-routed some hoses, then took it out for a test run and got it up to 50mph without a hitch.

After I got home from the ride, I removed the trunk to see if I would find anything different from the last time I had inspected things. The newly added extension hose immediately caught my eye.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 03:43:33 PM by manimal »
~Daren
California (Nor*Cal)

DMblues01

• 2012 Kymco Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2014, 01:29:33 PM »
Hey Bettin,
What exactly needs to be re-routed to bypass the crap emissions can?
Here in Illinois, bikes and scooters are exempt from emissions testing anyway, and I've considered simplifying the set up for long term reliability and consistency.
I'm just not sure where to re-route the hoses, and I've lost faith in letting my dealer even touch my scoot anymore.

Any insight appreciated!

Duke- 8)
Roxana, IL

Yoda is my spiritual leader.
Vader is my anger management coach!

manimal

• 2013 Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2014, 03:31:03 PM »
^^^^yeah, what he said! Would you have any details and or know if there has been a DIY posted on the subject "removing emissions".

I am just curious of what's involved.
~Daren
California (Nor*Cal)

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2014, 04:03:35 PM »
Hey Bettin,
What exactly needs to be re-routed to bypass the crap emissions can?
Here in Illinois, bikes and scooters are exempt from emissions testing anyway, and I've considered simplifying the set up for long term reliability and consistency.
I'm just not sure where to re-route the hoses, and I've lost faith in letting my dealer even touch my scoot anymore.

Any insight appreciated!

Duke- 8)
Is actually very easy to do. First thing is take your seat bucket out then you need to find the charcoal canister on the super 8 it's hanging under the gas tank by where the stator wires connect. Take it out. There will be a number o of vacuum lines and large hoses connected to it. The most important thing is you have to block off the vacuum lines going to the intake manifold. Find long 10mm screws and cut the vacuum lines back and plug them with the screws/bolts. Next find the one small line that goes to the gas tank, that is the breather for the tank, route it somewhere gas can dribble out of you over fill. The last thing is the egr, it's the large hose connected to the valve cover, follow the large hose and you will find the egr unit, rip it out and snip the hose back, use a large bolt or fold it back on itself and use hose clamps or zip ties to pinch it off. That's it!! Usually the mixture screw likes a slight adjustment after taking it off, but imho it makes these bikes run soooooo much better. I'll do a write up next time I take one off.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

DMblues01

• 2012 Kymco Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2014, 06:33:39 PM »
Thanx Bettin!

That may be added to my project list before the warm weather goes away.

Duke- 8)
Roxana, IL

manimal

• 2013 Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2014, 01:56:19 AM »
The break-in miles continue ...... Taking advantage of having the Labor Day off, I took the S8 out to one of my favorite twisty back roads; plenty of varied throttle, elevation changes to load and un-load the motor and scrubbing in the fairly new factory tires.

here's a glimpse.

Upgrades I have in mind:
I swapped out the factory grips today with some better ones
possibly some better brake pads and maybe adding an SS line for better braking
a set of Pirelli Diablo's
~Daren
California (Nor*Cal)

DMblues01

• 2012 Kymco Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2014, 02:35:40 AM »
Nice pic!
That looks like a cool place to go riding!

Duke- 8)
Roxana, IL

manimal

• 2013 Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2014, 01:41:37 PM »
So, having the scoot for 3 weeks, I am enjoying it, and certainly am saving gas. Because of the small tank capacity and distance travelled weekly, I fuel up weekly, less than $4 vs my truck, approx. $80 every two weeks. Avg. speed is 50mph throughout my commute. I can hardly wait getting passed the break-in, so I don't feel like a rolling road block. Commute avg. speed is 50 - 60mph.
~Daren
California (Nor*Cal)

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2014, 04:54:20 AM »
So, having the scoot for 3 weeks, I am enjoying it, and certainly am saving gas. Because of the small tank capacity and distance travelled weekly, I fuel up weekly, less than $4 vs my truck, approx. $80 every two weeks. Avg. speed is 50mph throughout my commute. I can hardly wait getting passed the break-in, so I don't feel like a rolling road block. Commute avg. speed is 50 - 60mph.

Phew that's nothing in gas! I'm filling up every few days haha. Still measured 70mpg

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()