General > Eye Candy | Videos and Pics

Rare Chevy spotted

(1/1)

Stig / Major Tom:

Taking it put for a warm Saturday evening spin...

Stig

Neil955i:
Nice piece of automotive history there Stig.

Iahawk:
hey, air cooled and carbureted! Reminds me of many of our bikes / scoots! (love old Corvairs, but I'm still partial to the 65-69 redesign...beautiful cars)

CROSSBOLT:
Great car with great potential ruined by some California granny over speeding a cloverleaf and spinning out. Ralph Nader, a hungry lawyer, writes a book about this accident/crash, "Unsafe at Any Speed" which kills the car and gets the "Consumer Protection" bureaucrat agency started.

Most sports-minded drivers and hot-rodders bought an Empi "camber compensator" which eliminated the axle-tuck/rollover thing. Had GM limited the wheel travel it never would have been much of a problem

The 60/40 rear weight bias still gave the car a frightening oversteer when pushed but definitely similar to Porche, VW and Renault Dauphine. A driver interested could deal with it but was beyond most drones driving in this country in the 60's.

The engines these days are quite popular with home-built aircraft people... big power at less money...

Stig / Major Tom:

--- Quote from: CROSSBOLT on April 28, 2024, 09:58:55 PM ---Great car with great potential ruined by some California granny over speeding a cloverleaf and spinning out. Ralph Nader, a hungry lawyer, writes a book about this accident/crash, "Unsafe at Any Speed" which kills the car and gets the "Consumer Protection" bureaucrat agency started.

Most sports-minded drivers and hot-rodders bought an Empi "camber compensator" which eliminated the axle-tuck/rollover thing. Had GM limited the wheel travel it never would have been much of a problem

The 60/40 rear weight bias still gave the car a frightening oversteer when pushed but definitely similar to Porche, VW and Renault Dauphine. A driver interested could deal with it but was beyond most drones driving in this country in the 60's.

The engines these days are quite popular with home-built aircraft people... big power at less money...

--- End quote ---
My Daughter was with me when we saw this corvair.
I asked her if she'd ever heard of Ralph  Nader.
"No. Who's he?"
Too nice an evening to talk about that guy
..ancient history.
Stig

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version