Author Topic: Any of you retired guys still dream about work?  (Read 545 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Any of you retired guys still dream about work?
« on: February 10, 2020, 01:46:40 PM »
I frequently do.
Apparently I woke my wife last night with, "I need the 10 ft ladder for the conference room!"

Was really disappointed the other morning to wake and discover that I did not own a British-racing-green Porsche cabrio, which I had been driving all over the Big Sur area of California.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Any of you retired guys still dream about work?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2020, 02:07:07 PM »
I'm not retired but I still frequently dream about a job and workplace I left 22 years ago. I'm standing there but i don't know where my office is or who any of my coworkers are..very unsettling! Similar to my other dreams of high school when I'm in the hallway between classes but have no idea what or where my next class is...
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 - work in progress

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2020, 02:21:22 PM »
Reminds me of a worrying Old Wives' Tale my Mum used to trot out...  "Dream of the dead means trouble with the living"!  Really?
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2020, 02:22:23 PM »
I frequently do.
Apparently I woke my wife last night with, "I need the 10 ft ladder for the conference room!"

Was really disappointed the other morning to wake and discover that I did not own a British-racing-green Porsche cabrio, which I had been driving all over the Big Sur area of California.

Stig

Great taste Stig BRG?  That's a brilliant colour.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2020, 04:18:40 PM »
NO! NO, NO WAY, DO NOT MISS IT! There are some aspects of some of my occupations that I do miss but that is it. My mission statement is different since retiring and I am very happy with that.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

big blue

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2020, 05:09:35 PM »
Absolutely, I just did last night. When you do something for 47 years it will tend to stick in your subconscious mind.  I loved what I did for a living but I really don't miss it, except for the camaraderie of friends made along the way.
2012 Kymco Like 200i LX (Sold)  Salem, Oregon USA

rdhood

• Dahlonega, GA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2020, 05:27:33 PM »
I wish I was retired so that I could miss it(or not)
2013 Downtown 300i
2013 Piaggio BV350
2014 Vespa GTS 300i
2016 Vespa GTS 300i

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2020, 05:48:24 PM »
I retired about 5 years ago and I've had a couple of dreams where I was at work dealing with a bad situation then I would wake up. Don't know if the crisis was resolved?
About the only times I have dreams is if I wake up early and stay up a little bit then go back to bed. Last night I dreamed I had bought a small cabin by the river. I was talking to a neighbor about flooding because the night before was a big rain. He said the river was 15' and flood stage was 25' then I woke up. Stig I like your dream better about the Porsche the only thing that would make it better is hot babe beside you on the PCH.
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2020, 02:22:14 PM »
NO! NO, NO WAY, DO NOT MISS IT! There are some aspects of some of my occupations that I do miss but that is it. My mission statement is different since retiring and I am very happy with that.

Nope, me neither!  47 years was more than enough for anyone.  Like you my "mission statement" is way simpler now - Get out and Ride!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

bucray

• forever young
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2020, 03:45:26 PM »
That would be a nightmare!!!  I do have a green Mustang

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2020, 06:08:25 PM »
no damn it! I dream of actually being retired,  I bought 2 new fly rods, and haven't used either of em yet,  I have bought a half a dozen guns, been hunting twice one day last season, and one day the year before.   

maybe I can get some coyote hunting in, in the next few weeks

I'm still taking on small work for extra $$, but mostly I have been visiting doctors and PT

I WANT TO RIDE MY MOTORCYCLE

I've been retired 2 years, when is it actually going to happen
RandyO
IBA#9560

scooterfan

• Durban, South Africa to Ankeny IA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2020, 06:36:19 PM »
Yes, from time to time I dream about  a very special place during my lifetime. Almost all my dreams revolves about a farm where I was borne, and eventually ended up farming for a period of 11 years. My dreams are never about about the hard work, efforts, droughts, or sadness when things didn’t work out for us, the dreams are always positive and about things that actually never happened in real life.
When I wake up in the mornings after one of those dreams, I always experience a feeling of happiness, and always hope that I will have one of those kind of dreams again.

Throughout my lifetime I always believed that happiness will never be found elsewhere - happiness can only be found wherever I find myself.  So wherever I worked before I did found happiness, but I hardly ever dream about those places.

I guess my guardian angel never stops smiling after blessing me with one of those dreams.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 06:37:50 PM by scooterfan »
Life is a journey. Just spend some time, and enjoy the trip.

SemperVee

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2020, 04:12:08 PM »
  HELL no... And after retiring from the Marine Corps I am not afraid of answering the phone either telling me I am leaving again!
2018 Kymco Spade 150
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour
2011 Kymco i300 DT (sold)
Many miles and smiles over 47 years of MC riding.
USMC Airwing Retired in Seattle WA

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()