Author Topic: Contacting Kymco USA  (Read 2316 times)

smoral12

• View Profile
Contacting Kymco USA
« on: February 16, 2023, 10:24:14 PM »
Do anyone knows if Kymco USA is out of business. I have tried to contact them via e-mail and phone with no response. Anyone knows how to contact them?

rjs987

• 2022 Kymco AK 550 - Matte Deep Blue
  • Central Iowa
    • View Profile
Re: Contacting Kymco USA
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2023, 11:58:36 PM »
Have you seen this page on their website? It's a link at the very bottom of the web pages.
https://kymcousa.com/contact/

Early last year I was able to contact them and corresponded with a service technical lead at the HQ. After several messages enabling me to gather information for my local dealer they told me they really prefer I not directly contact them since they should only be talking with dealers. There may have been a change to that when I was told this.
/bob
2022 Kymco AK 550 Super Touring Extreme in Matte Deep Blue
RETIRED - US Navy and Air National Guard and civilian career

smoral12

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2023, 01:53:25 AM »
Thank you for your reply. I bought a new 2022 Kymco People S 150i abs and did not have the Hand Guards. I made the dealer aware and they said they were going to e-mail Kymco USA to get the handguards. I checked with them and they said that Kymco is not responding to ther e-mails? Its been now a few months since I made the purchase and no Hand Guards. I don't know if Kymco is not responding or the dealer rep is giving me the run around. In any case I have tried from that link on their website to contact them and so far no response. Any recommendation? Thank you!!

Sergio
USCG retired

rjs987

• Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2023, 03:52:57 AM »
Maybe a phone call.
I think I remember having to email them using that contact page more than once to finally get a reply and then I got the email of someone there to talk to. It was maybe a month later and I had sent several emails with various requests for info that they finally told me I really should be going through the dealer. My last few emails to KymcoUSA were actually answered by my dealer after HQ referred the answer to my query to the dealer to pass on to me instead of directly back to me. My dealer is a good one and they were able to talk to the same contact as I did and got results. There was never any bad vibe from anyone but just a redirect to the right channels. But I do know that some dealers really don't do much to help.
/bob

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2023, 01:38:45 PM »
I guess dealer can't swap guards onto your scoot from another People S on the floor?
My Honda dealer did that when it was needed with my Forza.

did dealer break them, or leave them in the box?

And, yeah - factory support in this country isn't what we'd like to see.
Stig

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

rjs987

• Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2023, 04:27:36 PM »
I wasn't thinking about hand guards being stock on the People S 150i. In the pics on the Kymco web site they are clear so easy for some of us older eyes to see.
But since that scooter should have the hand guards as stock it is your dealers responsibility to provide them with the scooter. If they don't, or won't, then that would be the way to approach KymcoUSA... IOW, your contact to KymcoUSA should be that you bought a new People S 150i ABS and your dealer didn't put the hand guards on and refuses to provide them. That will initiate a push from the HQ to make your dealer provide what comes stock on the scooter. Since KymcoUSA really prefers dealing with dealers directly rather than customers they actually do want their dealers to take care of things. But when that doesn't happen I find the HQ wants to know about it. A lot of bad press about KymcoUSA I think comes from deadbeat dealers rather than KymcoUSA themselves, and customers who don't follow up and contact the HQ to hold dealers accountable for slacking off.

BTW- Last year when I talked with my dealer the first time they told me that they do support Kymco scooters. But KymcoUSA initially told me they were not authorized and they were also not on the dealer locator map. That's when I contacted KymcoUSA technical department and they told me my dealer WAS authorized. But they were still not on the map. I looked just recently and they now ARE on the map. My dealer has also been getting several AK 550 scooters, and other models, on the floor over the last year and has sold them... and restocked them.
/bob

smoral12

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2023, 05:01:05 PM »
They finally answered their phone and I talked to customer service for the Florida area. They will look into it and call me back. I did confirm that the dealer should have given me the hand guards. I don't understand why I have to escalate this if they are going to
wind up giving me the hand guards. Go figure!!!!

Sergio Morales
USCG retired

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2023, 06:48:49 PM »
We all have our thoughts on the health and responsiveness of KYMCOUSA - and on the Kymco dealers we have done business with.

Me:
 Honda, Suzuki and Yamaha sell scooters here, too. I bet neither the distributor nor the dealers rely on scooter sales in any significant way.
Kymco USA, with its limited sales (read: income) - cannot match the punch of one of the Big Four in brand infrastructure.
And it shows.
And has, for the 13 years I've been listening.

If you want the quality of dealerships and national support of a Honda, Suzuki or Yamaha - pay the extra money for one of their products.
 Kymco doesn't give their products away - so money spent still buys griping rights!

I always assume everybody is doing the best job they can.

even if - some people are just cut-snake crazy

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2023, 07:23:40 PM »
Sergio, you are fortunate to get as far as you did! I had a part missing on a Kymco scooter bought from a Florida dealer and got Kymco USA involved since the dealer was unresponsive. This was back in 2009. The set-up missed installing the battery box cover when they put the battery in the new Yager 200i. No cover and no screws. I even sent them (the dealer) the PART NUMBERS of everything! They finally sent the cover and 4 sheet metal screws after Kymco USA finally got involved.

Ever since then I have COMPLETELY checked EVERYTHING when I got a new scoot from a Kymco dealer.

Keep after them until you are satisfied, reasonably. 20-20 hindsight is do NOT accept delivery until EVERYTHING is there. Or you most likely will never see it.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2023, 05:30:05 PM »
My Kymco 450i has been excellent, not one complaint since new in 2015.  Always bragged about what a tough machine it has been.  However, would I ever buy another....probably not.  With the poor service and parts availiability and with what is goung on in the real world in Taiwan....wouldnt take the chance on a Kymco product. Wish they would turn things around as they could have a good US market.  Unless things change drastically, will never own another Kymco, even though I love my Kymco machine !!  Will just keep it and run it until it dies from old age !!

KymcoRockr

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2023, 11:16:10 PM »
I wasn't thinking about hand guards being stock on the People S 150i. In the pics on the Kymco web site they are clear so easy for some of us older eyes to see.
But since that scooter should have the hand guards as stock it is your dealers responsibility to provide them with the scooter.
From the Kymco USA website- *Note: MSRP does not reflect destination or other dealer vehicle preparation charges. KYMCO USA makes every effort to present the most current specifications and model features. Equipment, colors, availability and specifications may change without notice or obligation. Some models are shown with optional equipment.

If you look at photos of used 2022 models for sale, they don't seem to have the handguards. It may be optional, or they may have put them in some crates, but not others. Who knows. Clear handguards aren't that common.
Been riding for a very long time.
AK550
Yager 200

JJJoseph

• Kymco Sento
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2023, 08:16:49 PM »
You think you have problems!?!  I have a 15-yr old Kymco that is the only one in all of North America.  Parts are not even listed on any of the dealer website parts links. It's so unique that Kymco won't even discuss it!

Not willing to accept defeat without a fight, I deal with a Kymco dealer in the south of France using PayPal.  All parts are available there, and it only takes a week for air mail delivery.  The only downside is that I have to deal with them in the French language!  Would I buy another Kymco?  Not likely.  They're nice machines, but soon China will be our new "enemy of the week" and Kymco will be added to our national sh*tlist. Then parts will become even more difficult than today!  To be honest, I don't know what to recommend as a long-range solution. 

rjs987

• Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2023, 10:19:58 PM »
... but soon China will be our new "enemy of the week" and Kymco will be added to our national sh*tlist...

That it typical thinking for those who think Taiwan = China. It doesn't... unless China is allowed to continue to walk all over the USA as they have for the last many years. But if the USA steps up to protect Taiwan sovereignty and keeps them separate from China then all will be fine.

BTW - it is normal for most parts on a 15 yr old bike to become unavailable from any source anywhere. I even had to special order a throttle control head for my first bike and was told they basically had to break out the old molds to make one for me. My first bike was less than 8 years old at the time, and was the last of its model made, and was a Harley Davidson 125cc dual sport.
/bob

JJJoseph

• Kymco Sento
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2023, 09:33:33 AM »
That it typical thinking for those who think Taiwan = China.

Well, sort of.  Except that most parts of my Kymco are made in China.  It even had a "Made in China" decal on the front when I bought it. So I tend to obsess about China being on anybody's sh*t list! Not sure about your Kymco, maybe you'll be OK? According to this forum, KYMCO is a Taiwanese motorcycle manufacturer headquartered in Kaohsiung, Taiwan, that has manufacturing facilities in Taiwan and China: https://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=11909.0

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2023, 11:32:20 AM »
Members, let's keep your geopolitical views off of here.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()