Author Topic: Comfortable cruising speed.  (Read 1828 times)

carvets

• View Profile
Comfortable cruising speed.
« on: October 21, 2016, 10:22:33 PM »

Hi , im new here and im from Australia . I recently purchased a Kymco People 150 2011 model that currently has 12,000 K's on it .  I use it mostly for around my town which is a small seaside town with mostly 50 Kmph speed limits .  The road to my house used to be 80 Kmph and i used to love leaving the 50 zone and getting it up to 80  for the short burst before home.  But they have since changed the 80 back to 60 so its all low speed short trips generally . 

The other day i went for a ride to another town about 40km's away  with speed zones ranging from 80 - 100 Kmph on mostly flat roads . The bike handled it quite well and i hit 100kmph a couple of times but felt more comfortable sitting between 80-90 .  My question is , how far have you ridden at high speeds ? What is your comfortable cruising speed and how long have you held it for ? I kind of feel a little nervous having it at full throttle for long stretches on straight roads , i feel more comfy when there are a few corners so i can vary the speed a bit more and it doesnt feel like im pushing the engine too hard .
Modify message

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
Re: Comfortable cruising speed.
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2016, 01:42:22 AM »
Not quite the same bike as you have, but pretty close.
I have an S200, & rode it literally 1000's of miles topped out ~60ish mph with a bit higher speeds on some very steep downhills.
It was pretty stable as long as the weathre wasn't too bad.
I did have a pretty big windscreen though so the longer stretches didn't beat me up so bad.
2008 SYM HD200 "Niwanibiz"
2018 Suzuki Burgman AN650z "Bebaamaadizid"

k9 S200 (Blue) "Max" (Sold)
k8 SYM HD200 "Indigo" (Deceased)
k7 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Ohanzee" (Sold)

carvets

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2016, 02:28:16 AM »
Not quite the same bike as you have, but pretty close.
I have an S200, & rode it literally 1000's of miles topped out ~60ish mph with a bit higher speeds on some very steep downhills.
It was pretty stable as long as the weathre wasn't too bad.
I did have a pretty big windscreen though so the longer stretches didn't beat me up so bad.

Thats nice to know . Years ago i had a Honda Lead 80cc scooter and on long stretches i felt like it was going to blow . Never did though , but its just that whining noise that comes with no real gear changes i guess.  Around town i usually wear a Bell Shorty helmet so you can hear everything and at lower speeds you dont have the sound of the engine stretched to its limit , but on the long trip i did the other day i used a full face helmet which helps reduce the sound of the engine.

GLV55

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2016, 02:33:31 AM »
Hi , im new here and im from Australia . I recently purchased a Kymco People 150 2011 model.... What is your comfortable cruising speed and how long have you held it for ? I kind of feel a little nervous having it at full throttle for long stretches on straight roads , i feel more comfy when there are a few corners so i can vary the speed a bit more and it doesnt feel like im pushing the engine too hard .
When I had my People 150, it loved to cruise at 45-55 mph (not sure what that is in KPH), and for short times I could push it up to about 62 or 63 mph, but just because I'm naturally cautious I didn't want to hold it WOT for too long. It's just a solid scooter, though, and should give you many years of great riding - enjoy!
2014 Lance PCH 150
2007 Kymco People 150 (totaled by a drunk, Oct. 2013)
Nampa, ID

carvets

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2016, 03:33:14 AM »
When I had my People 150, it loved to cruise at 45-55 mph (not sure what that is in KPH), and for short times I could push it up to about 62 or 63 mph, but just because I'm naturally cautious I didn't want to hold it WOT for too long. It's just a solid scooter, though, and should give you many years of great riding - enjoy!

50 Mph is about 80 Kmph and that feels like a good speed for it. So like you said 45-55 Mph is comfortable.

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2016, 12:29:09 PM »
My People 150  likes to cruise at 45 to 50 MPH. GPS verified top speed is 58 MPH. I have run it mostly wide open throttle for stretches of 25 to 30 miles. It does not seem to hurt it but I really stay on top of the oil changes and valve adjustments. It is a well made machine.
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

Scooter Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2016, 01:13:00 PM »
I had a People S200 and would run it WOT at 63mph down our state highway,that is 70mph. I'd do that stretch about 20 miles to town and the bike handled it just fine. I think for short stretches it would be OK but wouldn't want to ride across the USA at WOT, day after day. These engines are amazing and take allot of punishment. Bear in mind though frequent oil changes is paramount to engine life. I was changing mine every 500 miles and have heard of some doing every 300.
2003 Honda Silverwing ABS
2005 Kymco Bet and Win 250

carvets

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2016, 01:15:20 PM »
What is WOT ? I'm guessing thats like ,..Wide Open Throttle  ?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 01:17:53 PM by carvets »

Scooter Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2016, 02:03:11 PM »
What is WOT ? I'm guessing thats like ,..Wide Open Throttle  ?

You got it mate.  8)
2003 Honda Silverwing ABS
2005 Kymco Bet and Win 250

Tiny

• Ontario, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2016, 09:12:19 PM »
Best cursing speed for my Movie 150 is in the 75-80 KPH range. Happens to get the best fuel consumption at those speeds also.

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2016, 08:35:13 AM »
I had a People S200 and would run it WOT at 63mph down our state highway,that is 70mph. I'd do that stretch about 20 miles to town and the bike handled it just fine. I think for short stretches it would be OK but wouldn't want to ride across the USA at WOT, day after day. These engines are amazing and take allot of punishment. Bear in mind though frequent oil changes is paramount to engine life. I was changing mine every 500 miles and have heard of some doing every 300.

I pounded on mine across the U.S.A.  on the cannonball.  Placed poorly, but mostly due to navigation.
Overall these engines, & likely the150, are pretty solid.  If the cannonball goes north this next time around, with the same rules I'd even consider taking the same bike; albeit there are a few others I'd consider if they ran the same rules.

Cheers.

Tromper aka "Street Legal".
2008 SYM HD200 "Niwanibiz"
2018 Suzuki Burgman AN650z "Bebaamaadizid"

k9 S200 (Blue) "Max" (Sold)
k8 SYM HD200 "Indigo" (Deceased)
k7 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Ohanzee" (Sold)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()