Author Topic: Won't Start  (Read 3159 times)

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Won't Start
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2020, 07:27:37 PM »
thanks for continuing to follow back up, here. Have you made sure your valves are adjusted properly? That can be a cause of a 'no start'. It's a relatively easy procedure, no new parts needed, just a feeler gauge and sockets and a wrench. Lots of youtube vids to walk you through it.

If you know you have fuel, spark and compression...hoping the valves are out of adjustment and that will fix you up.

Regarding a carb 'rebuild'...it's in reality a carb clean. You usually don't have to replace anything in the carb, just have to make sure everything is squeaky clean and working correctly.  The use of starter fluid not being able to start the scoot makes  me think it is not carb related, though.
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 - work in progress

bmurph44

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2020, 07:53:51 PM »
thanks for continuing to follow back up, here. Have you made sure your valves are adjusted properly? That can be a cause of a 'no start'. It's a relatively easy procedure, no new parts needed, just a feeler gauge and sockets and a wrench. Lots of youtube vids to walk you through it.

If you know you have fuel, spark and compression...hoping the valves are out of adjustment and that will fix you up.

Regarding a carb 'rebuild'...it's in reality a carb clean. You usually don't have to replace anything in the carb, just have to make sure everything is squeaky clean and working correctly.  The use of starter fluid not being able to start the scoot makes  me think it is not carb related, though.

Only 635 miles I can’t imagine the valves would be out of adjustment but I guess anything is possible. Is what gets me it starts and runs fine one day then a week later I try to start it and nothing.

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2020, 08:05:27 PM »
sorry, forgot about the low miles...but still probably worth a try (and a good skill to have). have you read through the thread a few down from yours by aschrauth? He went through a lot of steps getting his Agility 125 back and running. Might be some tips in there for you, too.
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2020, 11:22:47 PM »
I can't recall, did you ever pull your carb to clean it? A clogged pilot jet will prevent the scoot from starting. (the not starting with starter fluid still bothers me, though).

I have pulled mine a few times...but I just unhook it from the airbox and the intake, leave everything else intact, flip it over, remove the bowl and pull the jet(s) to clean.
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix

bmurph44

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2020, 08:23:30 PM »
This morning I pulled the carburetor and removed the jets, one looked like it had some dirt in it so I cleaned it out and it then looked normal, the other looked ok but I went ahead and sprayed some carb cleaner on it anyway. I put it back together and tried to start it still no luck.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2020, 10:48:07 PM »
That idle/low speed jet is very small. You must be able to see a bright light through both. Additionally, there are passages in the carb body that must be blown clear. The ethanol sludge can plug up a dam!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

scooterfan

• Durban, South Africa to Ankeny IA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2020, 04:16:29 AM »
You can check whether the combustion chamber gets fuel by checking the spark plug after the engine was swinging a couple of times and it did not start.
If the spark olug is wet, it means the engine gets fuel.

You previously mentioned that you have tested for spark, and the scooter have spark. If the spark is weak or the engine compression is too low, the engine will not start.

You can feel the engine compression by hand - by pressing the kickstarter down while the spark plug is still in place. Then remove the spark plug, and press the kickstarter down by hand a couple of times again. You should feel a substantial difference in compression.

If you found quite a difference in compression the compression on your engine should be okay - but the spark at the spark plug could be too weak.

The DC CDI’s on our scooters have capasitors which boosts voltage from the battery to create a proper spark. If the capisitors get faulty, the spark might be too weak.
So I think maybe it’s about time to try another CDI - the CDI on your scooter might be faulty.
Life is a journey. Just spend some time, and enjoy the trip.

bmurph44

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2020, 01:17:03 PM »
That idle/low speed jet is very small. You must be able to see a bright light through both. Additionally, there are passages in the carb body that must be blown clear. The ethanol sludge can plug up a dam!

The carb was not gummed up, other than that speck of dirt in the idle jet I was actually surprised at how clean it was.

bmurph44

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2020, 01:20:31 PM »
You can check whether the combustion chamber gets fuel by checking the spark plug after the engine was swinging a couple of times and it did not start.
If the spark olug is wet, it means the engine gets fuel.

You previously mentioned that you have tested for spark, and the scooter have spark. If the spark is weak or the engine compression is too low, the engine will not start.

You can feel the engine compression by hand - by pressing the kickstarter down while the spark plug is still in place. Then remove the spark plug, and press the kickstarter down by hand a couple of times again. You should feel a substantial difference in compression.

If you found quite a difference in compression the compression on your engine should be okay - but the spark at the spark plug could be too weak.

The DC CDI’s on our scooters have capasitors which boosts voltage from the battery to create a proper spark. If the capisitors get faulty, the spark might be too weak.
So I think maybe it’s about time to try another CDI - the CDI on your scooter might be faulty.

It has plenty of compression and the spark plug is wet after cranking.

Is the CDI the black box located next to the battery?

scooterfan

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2020, 05:29:26 PM »
It has plenty of compression and the spark plug is wet after cranking.

Is the CDI the black box located next to the battery?

Correct - the black box next to the battery.

aschrauth

• Have patience, Don't be in such a Hurry.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2020, 12:18:32 AM »
Might want to try a new CDI, I had a similar problem to yours. My OEM cdi only lasted about 900 km before dying
Kymco 125cc
Wolf Rx50 BBK 80cc

bmurph44

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2020, 12:20:21 AM »
Might want to try a new CDI, I had a similar problem to yours. My OEM cdi only lasted about 900 km before dying

Where did you buy your CDI?

aschrauth

• Have patience, Don't be in such a Hurry.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2020, 05:12:42 PM »
Where did you buy your CDI?

I have been through several different CDI's The ones on amazon are decent. However, it really depends on the manufacture and how the unit is made. Here is the link to the one that I am running now. I just replaced it around 1,000 Km ago and it is still preforming perfectly, Its a cheap unit but I purchaced another OEM one off of ebay just in case the unit from Amazon Fails.

YOFMOO Performance Racing 6 Pin DC CDI Box Compatible for GY6 50cc - 90cc 110cc 125cc 150cc 200cc 250cc Scooter ATV Go Kart Moped Quad Dune Buggy Pit Dirt Bike Kymco Agility People Sento 50 125 150
by Yingshop
Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KWYBM6G/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_xho3FbP5EFDMQ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

just by looking at the threads I can probably guess that you had the same problem that I had, ScooterFan also reccomended to me that I replace the regulator Rectifier, The part was cheap so I replaced it. I dont know if this was the issue for my failing CDI's But I havent had one fail as of yet ( Knock on wood) ::)
Kymco 125cc
Wolf Rx50 BBK 80cc

bmurph44

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2020, 07:21:32 PM »
Problem solved.....I ordered a new CDI and it finally was delivered this morning, went out plugged it in turned the key pushed the start button, it cranked over two or three times and it fired right up, that's the fastest it's ever started cold since I've owned the scooter so I assume the CDI has been slowly failing. I enclosed the link to the one I bought off Amazon. Thanks again to all that took the time to help out, after all I've done I can say I know a lot more about this scooter now than i did before it wouldn't start.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008ADD3W6/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
« Last Edit: December 19, 2020, 07:23:50 PM by bmurph44 »

scooterfan

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2020, 12:27:31 AM »
Good to see you got the scooter going.

Like I mentioned elsewhere - I am not sure but I think there is a possibility that a faulty Voltage Regular can cause CDI problems if the voltage output is too high. So maybe you must just use a Multimeter at the battery to see what voltage reading you get when the engine is running.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()