Author Topic: Which replacement tires?  (Read 2284 times)

Emil

• View Profile
Which replacement tires?
« on: October 20, 2009, 08:50:22 PM »
At first I didn't believe that the original CS tires could really be as lousy as people write, but they really are. When I am riding sort of rough (or let's just say not very smooth) surfaces, the back tire starts wobbling a bit so that I constantly look if I am having a flat or I get off the scooter and shake the rear tire to see if the suspension is loose. Didn't have a problem in corners yet but I can't stand that feeling any more. Time to replace those tires.
I know this theme has been discussed here quite a bit and somehow it seems that there is no wrong decision on what tires to choose. But I would love to hear what people are thinking about best choice.
These are the tires that I found available here in the USA and the rounded lowest prices (Front/Rear) I came across:

• Avon Viper Stryke AM63 ($36/$37)
  • Conti Zippy 1 ($37/$40)
  • Michelin Bopper ($37/39)
  • Michelin Pilot Sport SC  ($39/$42)
  • Pirelli SL 26 ($35/$40)
  • Pirelli SL 36 ($40/$42)
  • Pirelli GTS 23/GTS 24 ($41/$51)

Lokking forwards to see your posts,
Emil

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: Which replacement tires?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 09:38:32 PM »
I plan to replace my brand new Kenda's w/ the Pirelli. Just another 2 cents, when I put the kenda's on the rear had a bounce (out of round) that showed up around 40 mph. After 800 or so km, it settled in,and felt better. Now at 1,100 the front is bouncing so bad it has me considering a tie bar between the front of the engine and the "goose neck". The only reason I am considering this is the bounce showed a weakness in the scoot. frame design. Tires make a HUGE difference...
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Emil

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 09:55:29 PM »
Mmh - so you would rather blame the frame for the bounce than the tires? What btw is the "goose neck"?
And which Pirellis?

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 12:07:25 AM »
I am running a 130/60x12 rear, and a 120/70x12 front, so the Pirelli in the same size as long as they fit. (top of their line of course). And by the goose neck I mean the top of tube that the steering post runs through. I have seen this "mod" on SERIOUS race scoots., and have often wondered why it was done... I have found out why! The bars will oscillate with the tire. NOT A GOOD THING! I have highsided before, and do NOT intend to repeat. I believe even w/ a "perfect" tire/rim, the frame is design is weak in this area. For the 45 or so mph the scoot is built for, the problem will not show up. When you mod the scoot enough to exceed that, it does become a problem.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Emil

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 02:18:14 AM »
Wow - that with the oscillating bars is scary. Just don't understand why that would happen at speeds above 45mph. I mean the Agility 125 goes 'naturally' about 60 mph or so - although I didn't really go faster than 45mph yet since I am still breaking the engine in...

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 07:00:11 AM »
You have a 125. I have a ZX/50. Even still, the frame shouldn't shake. If you got your 125 modded to say 85 mph I'm sure a flaw or two would show up. Not complaining mind you, just stating MY experience. The thread remains the same, tires make a big diff.  The factory tires I had (forgot what they were) wouldn't get above 61 mph. I have modded since, and the larger tires give the extra 2-3 mph. The consistent top end I can get is 65 mph. It gets SCARY w/ bouncing tires. Hard to believe grown men/women play so hard. Have you looked up any of the "pocket bike" sites... Some of those are doing 60... Imagine trying to find a speed rated 6" tire. Thanks Bro...

racewalker

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2009, 10:46:46 AM »
As far as tires go I switched to Avon Viper Stryke on my People S125 this spring. The original equipment tire on the back only lasted 12,000 KM and I got a nail in the front one. I am  now at 19,000 and very little ware on either one. They stick well and are good in the rain. I will buy these again when I need to replace.
08 People S 125
11 Downtown 300i

Emil

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2009, 04:58:47 PM »
Did anyone try the Michelins or the Continental? Both Michelins received great feedback at motorcycle-superstore.com.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2009, 08:16:09 PM »
..another vote for the Avon Viper Stryke!

..have one on the front...a fairly new Kenda on the back, and I'm seriously thinking about replacing the Kenda...

peace
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()