Author Topic: Starter ran on and on  (Read 8652 times)

ispud

• View Profile
Starter ran on and on
« on: September 02, 2013, 03:00:17 PM »
Thought my solenoid was bad and replaced it.  More problems.  Turns out it was the battery's fault.  Bad cell or some such.  Replaced battery and no issues, knock on wood.  Before this problem the starter would not engage when I pushed the button a couple times over a month or 2.  If I released the button and tried again it would work.  This was starting to concern me then big problem occurred.  So....if you have these symptoms check out your battery first!.

:)>>

ispud

• View Profile
Re: Starter ran on and on
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 08:13:51 PM »
ooopsa - I took the old battery to 2 different battery stores and had them check it out.  They both told me it looked fine.  Voltage was 12 plus and cold amps was 300.  So I am mystified and worried that it will happen again.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 01:33:08 AM »
Loose connections...sometimes...

ispud

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 01:39:56 PM »
I have replaced both the solenoid and the battery (after one guy told me the battery was fried two other guys told me it was fine, but got a new gel one before talking to the second guys).  I don't think it is the solenoid or the battery, unless I got a bad solenoid replacement.  Both solenoids will stick (on occasion - once in 10 uses) and unstick and work fine, sometimes on their own and sometimes after I bump them.  I will check and clean my connections - everything looked good in there so far.  I am getting 9.3 volts to the solenoid from the starter button, some say this is low, but not sure it would cause my problem.

Life goes on!

California kid

• I'm here for the Chicks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2013, 05:16:11 PM »
Where do Ifind that solenoid?  I'm wondering if that is my "No start Um" problem.
Ck

People 250 NO 'S'
Lammys and Chetaks

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2013, 02:57:27 AM »
Where do Ifind that solenoid?  I'm wondering if that is my "No start Um" problem.

Between your battery and starter motor... just follow the wire..
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 03:00:11 AM by Vivo »

TLRam1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2013, 03:21:14 AM »
Is your starter switch in good shape.
Terry
10 Kymco People S 250
87 Yamaha Riva 200 (Sold)
Allen TX (Dallas)
cli-maxridinggear.com

ispud

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2013, 02:19:18 PM »
I opened up the starter switch and I could not see any problem - was not a lot of fun to get to.  I am still having problems - every not and again it will stick on and I have to pull the negative ground to get it to stop turning over.  I am mystified!

TLRam1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2013, 03:02:37 PM »
About the only other thing that gives the starter juice to run (in a normal starting system, Kymco may be different) would be the solenoid. If it has not been mentioned I would look there next.

What I do not know is if the solenoid is inside the starter housing, check a parts diagram.
Terry
10 Kymco People S 250
Allen TX (Dallas)
cli-maxridinggear.com

TLRam1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2013, 03:07:53 PM »
Okay I see you replaced the solenoid.

Something is not releasing when you push the starter button than release. If you did get a bad solenoid, any car solenoid would work if you just want to try another.

Next would be looking at the wiring diagram to trace where the starter circuit runs to see what else could be the culprit.
Terry
10 Kymco People S 250
Allen TX (Dallas)
cli-maxridinggear.com

ispud

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2013, 04:10:22 PM »
this is maddening
it hangs up about once every 10 to 15 times I use the starter.
I have the covers off and am going through the connections from the battery thru the solenoid to the starter and back, cleaning and putting dielectric (sp) grease on them.  They don't look that bad so far.  I have found others describing this same problem, but no one ever gives a solution.  Sounds like they just keep replacing expensive parts to no avail.  I might see if I can find someone who is gifted with scooter electrics and have them check it out.  Grrrrrr, I love this scooter.

tortoise

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2013, 05:05:55 PM »
hangs up about once every 10 to 15 times I use the starter
Have you tested the handlebar starter button circuit with a multi-meter continuity function?  A continuous multi-meter beep when the start button is released would indicate a deficient switch.

ispud

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2013, 05:30:24 AM »
I did this with the 2 wires that plug into the solenoid that come from the starter switch - seemed fine.   I ordered a new solenoid from ebay for like 5 bucks - it looks exactly like the solenoid I paid 50 bucks for from a Kymco parts place.  Gonna give it a try.  If that doesn't work I aM GOING TO TRY A SOLENOID FROM A LAWN TRACTOR, OR MAYBE AN AUTOMOTIVE ONE.  Opps sorry.

mrbios

• 2005 Kymco Grandvista 250cc
  • Just crusing along on my 2005 GV250
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2013, 07:00:13 PM »
I think your starter clutch might be bad:

Motorcycles / Scooters don't have a bendix like a car starter - that is the device that pushes the shaft on the strarter out a few inches to engage with the flywheel and turn the engine.  Once you move release the key the spring on the bendix forces the shaft to disengage with the flywheel.

Motorcycles and scooters use a starter clutch that works like a freewheel on a ten-speed bicycle.  When you pedal the hub turns but when you stop the freewheel unlocks and you coast but are still connected.  Your problem could be your starter clutch is locked up which makes it like riding a fixed gear bike (aka fixie) when the pedals move all the time even when you are coasting - same as some exercise bikes.

Test: If your starter clutch is locked shut the motor off and put the scoot on the center stand and remove the drive belt cover then turn the motor with a wrench in the normal direction and feel for the drag of the starter.  You could also remove the spark plug.  If the starter moves too then your starter clutch is bad.

http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/te450-starter-clutch-wont-disengage.29205/

How many miles on your People 250? 
The starter clutch will not disengage. It will fire and attempt to start but will not run. When I kick start it I can hear and feel the drag of the starter. Kick starter feels normal with the starter removed. I removed the starter clutch and visually it looks fine with no apparent damage or wear, but it's 3 gears will not turn by hand. Is it supposed to turn freely? The starter clutch is fairly expensive and I don't want to replace it if it's not broken....

« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 07:11:19 PM by mrbios »
PaulC

ispud

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2014, 03:27:31 PM »
about 10k.  The problem is the solenoid sticking, but why is the question.  I put electrical connection grease on the connections to the battery, solenoid, and starter - connections I could get to anyhow.  It hasn't siezed up since then,, but I only ride it about 2 times a week.  So since this greasing operation about 20 good starts with no problems.  I am keeping my fingers crossed and a 10 mm nut driver close to the negative lead.

Another problem I have with this scooter is that when I start moving gradually it hits a violent shudder at about 10 mph.  If I accelerate with force it doesn't happen,, so I try and do this all the time, but when going through a parking lot, I have to slow down and speed up a lot and then it is a worry - hoping nothing is getting damaged.  The belt is original, but last time I measured it it was within specs.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()