Author Topic: Need advice from the ZX-50 GURU'S VIDDY ADDED  (Read 12154 times)

robmsz

• Keepem poppin!
    • View Profile
Need advice from the ZX-50 GURU'S VIDDY ADDED
« on: June 16, 2010, 11:07:31 PM »
I have a factory de-restricted 2004 KYMCO ZX-50 SUPER FEVER with around 13,500 K's on it. I bought it in 2008 with about 6,000 K on it. I run BEL-RAY SI-7 and usually premium gas in it.

The only sort of maintenance I have ever done on it was replace the rear tire with an AVON, put a 1 or 2 new spark plugs in it and maybe change a rear marker light. Now on to the problem.....

My father drives the scooter more than me, so here is what he told me happened......He started it up as usual with no problems, took off and after going roughly ½ mile, hitting a red light or two the next one he stopped @ it just died.

When I went to check it out it started & idled all right but would not accelerate. I checked all the cables and they looked fine. Not having thje tools to do anymore where it was I had get it transported home.

After taking all the body work off and looking things over I decided to throw in a new plug. When I checked for spark there was none.

My question is after joining the forum a while ago and reading about the ZX-50 is that the electronic ignitions do & have failed on these scooters.

Would that be the cause of it starting but not accelerating?

Is there anything else I should look at/check?

« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 11:16:51 PM by robmsz »
‘04 zx50 Stock

‘’07 Kawasaki, EN 500

thebatman

• The Bat lives on... like the fkn Energizer Bunny
    • View Profile
Re: Need advice from the ZX-50 GURU'S no-start problem
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 11:48:56 PM »
well, i am the least experienced one around here for sure but if it starts but not accelerate,  seems that would be carb/cable issue.. the no spark part could be the cdi(check the green wires to make sure solder joint is good, clean it if corroded)or the coil, is the boot ok? had to replace mine a few days ago.   there are a few guys that could help better than i since i STILL rely on people around here..lmao  maybe z or shaka, sid will chime in on this one too
"THE BAT"MAN...
Says:
"A goal without a plan is just a dream"......

robmsz

• Keepem poppin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 12:02:43 AM »
Thank you for the reply TBM every little bit helps!

I just came back here to make a correction......

I DO GET SPARK....The kill switch was off. I never touch it thats why it didn't occur to me to check it. It must have been hit while loading it on the truck yesterday.

I stated in my first post that I already checked all the cabble connected to the throttle and they are working & looked OK.

I was reading and seen where some people were having a problem with clogged mufflers. The exhaust comes out strong, so I don't think that has any bearing on why it will only idle and not accelerate.

I know someone out there knows the solution to my no start dilemma!
‘04 zx50 Stock

‘’07 Kawasaki, EN 500

thebatman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 12:21:52 AM »
yw. now when i had the stock muffler, there is a catalitic converter inside. i had to beat mine out(got clogged,wouldnt do a thing). you could just loosen those 2 10mm bolts to check if clogged any there.. otherwise the cdi could be going out(check ohms).. you could just need a good carb cleaning if its never had it.. main jet could be clogged, pilot open since idles.. i would clean carb, check exhaust, cdi ohms..
"THE BAT"MAN...
Says:

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010, 12:53:31 AM »
I think batman Nailed it. Pull the carb, and completely disassemble it. The main jet, and or the atomizer may be clogged. You will need a can of Brake Clean or Carb Clean., and some sewing needles. If you think you got it all cleaned out... do it again. Something smaller than a grain of sand is easy to miss. If it starts, and idles it is not ignition related. If you have a compression tester Run a quick check. You want to see a reading over 100psi
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

robmsz

• Keepem poppin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2010, 01:29:55 AM »
That was my first thought is that the carb. was gunked up somewhere along the works. BUT I was reading about CDI's acting up and limping home or otherwise not running right.

I would very much appreciate someone mapping out the ohm test on my CDI.

I would like to do that before taking the carb. apart or even doing a compression check. My thinking is that if it runs @ idle the compression should be OK and I just like to do as little as possible. Just fix what needs fixin. So if I can POSITIVELY rule out the CDI that would be the next step I'd like to take as long as I can find out how to do it.

P.S.
  I did have the muffler off back in april (the last time I posted) & it looked OK.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 01:31:36 AM by robmsz »
‘04 zx50 Stock

‘’07 Kawasaki, EN 500

thebatman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010, 01:46:54 AM »
you have black/white, black/red, black/yellow, blue/yellow, green... +b/w--black/r should b 1-10..+green--blue/y should b 10-30...-blue/y-+black/r should b 3-40..-green-+black/r should b 2-10..-blue/y--black/r should b 80-120..-green--black/w should b 10-30 ohms...whew!!..lol this according to service manual
"THE BAT"MAN...
Says:

robmsz

• Keepem poppin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2010, 01:55:30 AM »
WELL ! :o

TYVM TBM for saying you have the least experiance around, you sure have helped!

Since I can't get to muh scoots right now I'll do it 2morrow. I have it all printed out & ready to go.

Stay tuned crime fighters!

Is that what they used to say on the B&W Batman & Robin episodes?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 01:59:47 AM by robmsz »
‘04 zx50 Stock

‘’07 Kawasaki, EN 500

thebatman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2010, 02:19:35 AM »
same bat time: same bat channel.....    glad i could help.. hope its simple tomorrow
"THE BAT"MAN...
Says:

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2010, 02:48:36 AM »
You can download the service manual under the general discussion tab.  I had a similar problem when my voltage regulator went out.  The procedure for checking that is in the manual.  That's a real easy one to get to and check!  Otherwise, I think you may have a clogged fuel filter either inline or in the petcock.  You can check the fuel flow by disconnecting the fuel line from the carb and the vacuum line from the intake manifold.  Put the fuel line in a bottle and suck on the vacuum.  You should have a good flow of fuel into your bottle.  Beyond that I would take the carb apart and clean it real well.  Check your spark plug wire for cracks and you can test the resistance as well.  That procedure is also in the manual.  Good luck!

robmsz

• Keepem poppin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2010, 02:58:40 AM »
I should be getting gas all right because I removed the air cleaner, put my hand over the opening and cranked the motor over. The gas was just dripping out when I removed my hand and the spark plug was soaked.

What are your thoughts on this?

P.S.

Does anyone have the link to the ZX-50 manual? I looked in "general" & the ZX-50 thread was 42 pages long!
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 03:02:03 AM by robmsz »
‘04 zx50 Stock

‘’07 Kawasaki, EN 500

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2010, 03:01:48 AM »
Going back to basics, with the air cleaner removed can you see the carb slide move when you turn the throttle?
ZX50, 47mm cyl. kit, TZR50 CDI. Michelin Pilot Sport tyres,
Next performance mod; pumping the tyres up.

robmsz

• Keepem poppin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2010, 03:04:46 AM »
I already replaced the air cleaner....But I did work the throttle with the throttle pin (if thats what you call it) was moving. It compressed the spring OK.....

& I added a P.S. to me previous post.
‘04 zx50 Stock

‘’07 Kawasaki, EN 500

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2010, 03:08:49 AM »
It sounds like your float may be stuck and/or the needle valve is stuck allowing too much fuel in and flooding the engine.  Has any fuel been leaking out of the drain tubes on the carb.  It does sound like you need to pull the carb and give it a good cleaning!  Keep in mind that it is normal to get some "blow-back"  from the carb, just the nature of a reed valve induction.

Here's the thread with all the service manual links.  If you can't get any of them to work for some reason PM me and I can email it to you.

http://kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=1689.0

robmsz

• Keepem poppin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2010, 03:23:05 AM »
I don't think the float is stuck because it idles all right. the only reason gas was dripping out the air cleaner side was because i held my hand over the opening (with air cleaner removed) and cranked the motor over. other wise the gas doesn't leak anywhere or any other time.

2morrow I'm going to check the CDI unit with an ohm meter and if everything checks out because i am getting spark is to pull the carb and clean it because i suspect that the main jet has crap in it since it idles fine.

P.S. Thanks SHAKA for giving me the link to the manual!
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 03:30:26 AM by robmsz »
‘04 zx50 Stock

‘’07 Kawasaki, EN 500

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()