Author Topic: Keep an eye on your tires!  (Read 391 times)

MJR

• View Profile
Keep an eye on your tires!
« on: June 14, 2018, 05:04:07 AM »
Keep an eye out on your tire wear and condition, it might just save you an injury or even worse.

http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=26153.0
'03 Clipper Yellow Honda Reflex
'03 Coast Cyan Atlantic 500
'14 White MyRoad 700i
'09 Mirage White Burgman 650
'06 Oort Gray Burgman 650 project
'05 Sonic Silver Burgman 650 project
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650, rebuilt/upgraded CVT w/Polish adapter
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650 parts bike

EvilTessmacher

• View Profile
Re: Keep an eye on your tires!
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2018, 01:58:06 AM »
In a way, motorcycles and scoots are a lot like airplanes. If something happens when you're in motion, it could be bad. That's why fliers have checklists, to look at the steps necessary for getting into flight safely. The preflight inspection also catches things that may not otherwise be noticed. Back when I was trying to get my private pilot's license, I went out to the trainer to do the preflight at the direction of my instructor. I noticed a dark streak on one of the wings, and when she got out there, I pointed it out to her. Turns out it was a fairly significant crack in the wing skin, indicating possible problems inside the wing structure. Her previous student that day had done the same preflight and could not have missed it, but never said anything about it. Meaning, he probably didn't do the preflight. They both would have been killed if that wing had detached in flight.

My suggestion to others, and I do this every time I go out, is to do a quick walkaround, and check for obvious things. Leaks, puddles, lighting, tire pressure, condition, etc. When  I get on and before I fire up, I bounce on the bike, to see how the shocks are. Little things like that. Range of motion of the handlebars, that kind of thing.

Safety, safety, safety. The instant we stop being vigilant, something will reach up and bite us.
Two things to consider...
1) The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse always gets the cheese.
2) Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into jet engines.

---
2018 Kymco 400i - "Diana"
2013 Honda PCX - "Natasha"
1982 Honda PA-50

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()