Author Topic: Throttle stuck when weather is freezing  (Read 4936 times)

Eherim

• View Profile
Throttle stuck when weather is freezing
« on: January 23, 2014, 06:22:22 PM »
Hi

As the headline says, my Kymco Agility 50 has this problem that when the temperatures falls to below freezing point (0ºC=32ºF), the throttle gets stuck. It always happens in full throttle position. The throttle handle gets "loose", I can turn it whatever I want with ease, but the engine keeps on going in full throttle.

A month back I turned it in to a mechanic, and they solved the problem back then by doing something to the cable and/or the mechanism in the handle. They didn't do anything to the carburator.

I would very much avoid having to turn it in to a mechanic every other month throughout every winter to have them solve this problem. So - I'd be extremely happy if anyone here could explain to me what to do. I am still a newbie, and need all the help, I can get from you. :-)
Thanks in advance!

How do I get to the mechanism inside the throttle handle?
Give way to trains.

Eherim

• View Profile
Re: Throttle stuck when weather is freezing
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 06:34:09 PM »
On some danish scooter forums, people suggest lubricating the "gasspjæld" (danish word) could help. Google translates that to "throttle". It's seems, it's some round plate somewhere that turns in its center axis. It is suggested that it could get stuck open due to dirt or frost.

Where is that found? How is that done? Elaborate pictures and/or video would help me a lot.

I guess, it would be a good idea to squeeze some oil through the throttle cable aswell. But how do I get to it's top end?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 06:35:57 PM by Eherim »
Give way to trains.

woodcutter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 06:59:58 PM »
As you described, I think the problem is in the throttle cable.
Other cause could be cable connection to carburetor.
Third cause could be throttle handle on steering bar, but you said handle could move freely while throttle is wide open.

First, remove upper handlebar cover, four screws and one on the front.
When you remove it, remove two screws at the back of the right handle holder(black piece where is starter and light switch and it holds right rear view mirror).
It will come in two pieces and you can remove throttle handle. Disconnect cable and you'll see small rubber dust protection.
Try to put some oil in the cable.It should be lubricated every now and then.
Then, put some grease on the right of the handlebar where handle sits.

Put it back together. It's not so hard to do this  :)

Resolve

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 09:46:31 PM »
it's some round plate somewhere that turns in its center axis. It is suggested that it could get stuck open due to dirt or frost.

pull seat off scooter and carb is there and easy to get to.  with seat off looking at carb turn throttle your should see the throttle cable move when you release the throttle does the cable go back fast or slow like it is seeing extra friction.  if slow then clean the part you see moving which I suspect is the part you are talking about.

then recheck by twisting throttle again and see how it moves.

Eherim

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2014, 07:01:31 PM »
Stuck again!

I tried lubing the throttle wire. Everything seemed to work well for a while, exept for that it was impossible to squeeze any oil into the wire. Something seemed stuck.

So I went for another workaround. I got a brand new throttle wire, and the project is to replace the old one with that. In order to do that, it is necessary to take of a lot of the covers, including the floor board. And now I am stuck again. The manual says:

FLOOR BOARD REMOVAL
Remove the rear carrier and rear seat. <-- CHECK, that went well.
Remove the met-in box. <-- CHECK, that went well.
Remove the frame body cover. <-- CHECK, that went well.
Remove the four bolts and six screws attaching the floor board. <-- CHECK, that went well.
Remove the floor board. <-- Stuck.

Here is an image of the situation:

The green markings in the picture is where I got the the floor loose.
The red parts is where it is stuck.

Below the battery there is a fifth bolt. My wrench is to big for that tiny space. I don't think that's the problem, since it in text and picture only says four bolts needs to be removed in the manual:

So - what do I do to get past this stuckness? :-)
I've dragged my Agility indoors, since it is to cold to do this outside. I'd really like to get past this, so it won't take up all the space in the living room and so that I can enjoy riding it again.

Thanks a lot in advance!
Give way to trains.

JJJoseph

• Kymco Sento
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2014, 07:19:53 AM »
Eherim said it:"It is suggested that it could get stuck open due to dirt or frost." 

At near freezing, carburetors will ice up at the throttle valve.  In airplanes it's called "carb ice".  It doesn't happen with fuel injection.  The cure in airplanes is lots of hot air ducted into the carb, but a 50cc doesn't create enough waste hot air to de-ice a carb.  Most riders park their machines when it gets near freezing in humid air.  It shouldn't happen once the temp drops way below freezing or the air is dry - it only happens near freezing in humid air
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 07:21:46 AM by JJJoseph »

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2014, 12:06:41 AM »
...it's much easier to remove the floorboard, it you first remove the rear fairing plastics...

..memory serves that you must, as each side clips into the floorboard...
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2014, 03:16:48 AM »
Its best not to try to work on your scoot in the cold. The cold will play tricks on you while tuneing your scoot. some oils thinken up and things dont work just right. cold gas also makes for harder starting a scoot. find a warm place to work on the scoot so things will work good.

JJJoseph

• Kymco Sento
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2014, 12:05:14 AM »
cold gas also makes for harder starting a scoot.

Winter blend gas (more butane) is OK in cold weather, the real villain is cold, thick oil.  If you keep your scooter in the kitchen at night, it'll start just fine.  On really cold nights I take my scooter to bed with me :-)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()