Author Topic: Mud flap for engine  (Read 976 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Mud flap for engine
« on: May 10, 2017, 10:14:45 PM »
Do your big Kymco's have a nice rear fender hugger to keep the back of your engine area free of road grime?
My LIKE200i has a nice fender over the rear tire - but my Burgman just has a 2>3 inch gap in front of the rear tire....and all kinds of junk gets flung up there.
So, today I installed a home-made flap - to keep stuff off whatever, back there.
The BIG trick was doing it without taking off the rear wheel. R & R'ing the rear wheel was so much fun to do recently on my LIKE200i that I decided to forget the whole enchilada...or come up with a way to do it --- rear wheel in situ.

I spent $12 to buy a $4 12" shank phillips screwdriver (off the cheap tool table) , two speed clips, two #8 self-tapping screws, 2 #10 stainless screws, a large coffee with 2 creams, two Boston creams and a really, really cheap set of clear rubber floormats for a Pinto. ($4.99 for a set of 4 mats!)

I used a piece of scrap tin - so will take back the floormats & hit Tim's with the proceeds! tomorrow!
I had room to work above the tire using the long phillips to 'drill' holes, with the self tappers, and to install the final stainless mounting screws. Without a screwdriver of just the right length I could not have done this. Longer, or shorter would not have worked - there was no room for your hands. I used a measuring tape before going shopping for an extra long phillips.

#10 speed clips - Lowes

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
Re: Mud flap for engine
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2017, 12:24:16 AM »
Brilliant Stig as usual! Be careful with those floor mats. They may combust  if involved in a rear end collision.
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2017, 01:20:59 AM »
Outstanding! ;D

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2017, 03:42:23 AM »
Burgman 650, no. MyRoad 700i, yes, Atlantic 500, don't know.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 02:27:29 AM by MJR »
'03 Clipper Yellow Honda Reflex
'03 Coast Cyan Atlantic 500
'14 White MyRoad 700i
'09 Mirage White Burgman 650
'06 Oort Gray Burgman 650 project
'05 Sonic Silver Burgman 650 project
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650, rebuilt/upgraded CVT w/Polish adapter
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650 parts bike

vespbretta

• "Be the change that you wish to see in the world."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2017, 10:02:59 PM »
Yes, brilliant indeed. Congrats.
Creative scooter surgery at high level.  ;D

Is this construction stiff and strong enough to withstand the airstream/airflow at higher speeds?
Otherwise it might rub against the tire and melt and make some good noise.  ;)
Cheers,
Robo

Kymco Like LX 200i white/blue 2014; FACO Rear Crash Bars; Kymco Front Crash Bar; Puig Windshield Traffic;  Shido Battery LTX9-BS LION; 13gr. Dr. Pulley sliders and sliding pieces; Throttle control; Full synth. 10W-50 Motor- & Synth Gearoil; modified Topcase; Italian Badges and Stickers

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2017, 12:43:53 AM »
Yes, brilliant indeed. Congrats.
Creative scooter surgery at high level.  ;D

Is this construction stiff and strong enough to withstand the airstream/airflow at higher speeds?
Otherwise it might rub against the tire and melt and make some good noise.  ;)
It's  fashioned  from fairly heavy gage galvanized  steel.  I'll  remove the 2 screws and check it for contacting tire after a couple of 45 and 70mph rides.  Easy enough to make adjustments with shears.
Suzuki could learn a thing or two from Kymco's ability to keep themselves clean. (adding this flap is a common DIY for Burgman  owners....some just use duct tape)
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

mousejunks

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2017, 10:11:56 AM »
I wonder why the Burgman doesn't have the mudguard in the first place. My DT300 has one close-fitting cover over the rear wheel, another rear mudguard in front of the number plate and also a rubber flap between the engine and rear cover.
'09 Kymco Espresso 150i
'11 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS - 79,500km
'17 Kymco Downtown 350i ABS

vespbretta

• "Be the change that you wish to see in the world."
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2017, 10:24:03 AM »
Ah, it´s a metal piece anyway. Coudn´t translate your term "scrap tin". Thought it was some thin plastic. And on the pictures it looks like a piece of black plastic - cut out from somewhere.
Cheers,
Robo

Kymco Like LX 200i white/blue 2014; FACO Rear Crash Bars; Kymco Front Crash Bar; Puig Windshield Traffic;  Shido Battery LTX9-BS LION; 13gr. Dr. Pulley sliders and sliding pieces; Throttle control; Full synth. 10W-50 Motor- & Synth Gearoil; modified Topcase; Italian Badges and Stickers

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()