Author Topic: 250 Mongoose (MAXXER) - Brake light permanently on when ignition on  (Read 1613 times)

chro19

• View Profile
I have just got a 2011 Kymco 250 Maxxer (Mongoose) which I am re-building. When the key is switched is turned on, the stop light illuminates - stays lit no matter if brake lever or foot pedal is activated. I have checked the entire brake light circuit and its components for continuity and voltage - the switches (lever and pedal), bulb (2 filaments), cables, rear light bulbholder are all OK. I did notice that both cables of the brake light switches (yellow/green and blue/brown) are hot? Is that normal? When the key switch is turned on there is power to both wires, no matter what the position of the switches is - shouldn't it just be to one? Any help would be much appreciated as I don't understand why the circuit is energised and turning on the stop light filament when the key switch is turned on. Thanks

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: 250 Mongoose (MAXXER) - Brake light permanently on when ignition on
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2019, 01:00:02 AM »
Wiring diagram, anyone?
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

chro19

• View Profile
Re: 250 Mongoose (MAXXER) - Brake light permanently on when ignition on
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2019, 02:44:35 PM »
Here is the only wiring diagram I could find. But there is one thing that seems odd. The change Gear Control unit shows 7 wires attached to it. My harness only has 3 wires that connect to it. 2 on the small section on the right hand side of the unit (and the colors match up), and one which appears not be connected anywhere. Coincidenatlly the wire that is not connected is Green/Yellow, which is the same color as one of the brake light wires. Any ideas anyone, could this be the problem? I'm sorry but electrical is not my strong point! Thanks

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()