Scooters - 125 to 300 > Bet & Win 150

Rebuild engine, replace engine, sell as is?

(1/5) > >>

Rickster:
Over the winter, I examined and rebuilt/replaced everything on my 2007 B&W 150, except for the engine - new tires, antifreeze, drive belt, variator rollers... you get the idea. She was ready to sell. Wouldn't you know it, but on a test ride, I believe the engine blew. I have not opened it up to verify that, but I'm pretty confident of that issue. (Engine noise + engine stop = blown engine.) I have zero experience rebuilding engines, and I have no special tools needed for such a task. Obviously, I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty and enjoy a challenge. So, my options are: 1) Rebuild it myself buying the needed tools along the way.  2) Have a dealership rebuild it for me. 3) Have a local small engine repair shop rebuild it for me. 4) Replace the engine with a different one. 5) Sell it / trade it for a different scooter, as is.

I'd like anyone's thoughts on what you would do, if this was your scoot. Thx.

Iahawk:
I think the reality is paying anyone to do any type of engine rebuild on an older scoot will cost more than the value of the scoot. If that's your only option I'd probably just sell 'as is', for parts.

Before giving up on it I'd first want to see if the engine will even turn over. ...and not with the starter button but by putting a socket and wrench on the variator nut. Will the engine spin over? If so, you're in better shape.

Have you visually scanned the motor for any cracks, holes, major leaks, etc.? If it is truly gone it would be much easier to swap in a used motor, assuming any of those are available...not many used scooter motors available around me.

Having just completely stripped down and then rebuilt one of these (S200, air cooled, 163cc) I can tell you that it is actually a very easy process if you go that route. The things you'll need (other than any new parts) are a full gasket set, 2 crank seals ($60, total?), a flywheel puller and starter clutch nut removal tool (another $30?). There's an endless supply of Youtube videos showing how to disassemble and rebuild a GY6 motor.

So I'd first want to know if the engine was viable..if not, sell for parts and move on, swap in a used one or last option, rebuild the one in there, yourself.

Rickster:
Thx for the reply IaHawk. You essentially confirmed what I was thinking - that I cant make any decisions until I inspect the engine. I hope to get to that project this upcoming weekend. If anyone is interested in what I discover during my experience along the way, I can document it and post it here. Maybe someone will get some use out of it someday.

Iahawk:
we love pics and finding the cause of problems..it helps everyone in the long run and adds to the collective knowledge!

You'll definitely want to pull your cvt cover to inspect the variator, belt and clutch to make sure that your engine problem wasn't really just a cvt problem.

Please do report back any of your findings.

Rickster:
Iahawk,
I've been watching a lot of YouTube videos about overhauling a GY6 engine, but I dont think I have a GY6 engine. I'm not sure what I have. Here is the info found under the variator. Thoughts?
Thx
Rick

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version