Author Topic: Kymco 200S Starting problems!  (Read 958 times)

karl utrecht

• View Profile
Kymco 200S Starting problems!
« on: May 21, 2013, 01:08:43 AM »
My daughter called this afternoon and was saying her Kymco People200S would not start...she had had the battery inside all winter on a Battery Tender, and I could hear it turning over good thru the cell phone. I told her to give the throttle full on and try to start it...she did, and it did start. But, it wouldn't idle...died right away. I told her it sounded like the carb jet was clogged up. I couldn't understand, because I gave her a bottle of Sea Foam last fall and told her what to do with it (put it in the gas tank). Well, today she decided it was low on gas, so she went out and got some. When she called later, she confirmed she had put the Sea Foam in it last fall...after mixing it with some oil! I then asked her whether or not she had put it in the gas tank...she said no, she had put it in the oil! I told her then that the carb jet was definitely clogged, and she would have to drain the oil and replace it, and to add some Sea Foam to the gas tank. The scooter only has under 1400 miles on it and was running perfectly last fall when she stored it. Have I diagnosed this problem correctly, or do some of you have some other things to look at? I'm over 800 miles away, so it's impossible for me to get a first hand look at it. Your prompt replies are appreciated. Thanks much.

karlu

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
Re: Kymco 200S Starting problems!
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 01:32:42 AM »
My daughter called this afternoon and was saying her Kymco People200S would not start...she had had the battery inside all winter on a Battery Tender, and I could hear it turning over good thru the cell phone. I told her to give the throttle full on and try to start it...she did, and it did start. But, it wouldn't idle...died right away. I told her it sounded like the carb jet was clogged up. I couldn't understand, because I gave her a bottle of Sea Foam last fall and told her what to do with it (put it in the gas tank). Well, today she decided it was low on gas, so she went out and got some. When she called later, she confirmed she had put the Sea Foam in it last fall...after mixing it with some oil! I then asked her whether or not she had put it in the gas tank...she said no, she had put it in the oil! I told her then that the carb jet was definitely clogged, and she would have to drain the oil and replace it, and to add some Sea Foam to the gas tank. The scooter only has under 1400 miles on it and was running perfectly last fall when she stored it. Have I diagnosed this problem correctly, or do some of you have some other things to look at? I'm over 800 miles away, so it's impossible for me to get a first hand look at it. Your prompt replies are appreciated. Thanks much.

karlu

She put the sea foam and oil mix in the gas together? Not sure why she'd do that. I'd have her drain the fuel tank completely and spray a heavy dose of gum out in the carb at minimum, use fresh gas and pray.

Also for next year I'd advise her to add the seafoam to the gas and drive it or run it to make sure the mix made it's way into the carb. I'm no mech but do boat and put my boat up for 6 months at a time.
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

Vivo

• View Profile
Re: Kymco 200S Starting problems!
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 02:50:13 AM »
Sounds like a clogged idle jet... usual problems of scoots in storage.... What 080 said plus seafoam in gasoline or any other good fuel treatment/ fuel system cleaner will do...

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()