Author Topic: Braking Technique and Skills  (Read 7461 times)

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
Re: Braking Technique and Skills
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2016, 08:31:03 PM »
I have no experience with being hit from behind.  I am just repeating suggestion from HART vids.  Makes sense to me, after watching vids I don't use my front brakes at stops anymore.  Cheers
1st and 2nd usually have an unfair advantage.  3rd is usually the best, can learn the most from.  paraphrased from Don Quixote, over 400 years ago, still true today

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2016, 04:10:18 PM »
I tend to use both brakes when coming to a stop, but I hold my front brake when stopped just to keep my bike steady, to signal to those behind me that my brake is engaged, and also because on my DT my bike will vibrate if I just hold the rear brake in. Seems to be a deign flaw. If you’re hit from behind at a good speed by a 4 wheeled vehicle, flipping over will be the least of your worries. However, comfort is connected to riding security and peace of mind. If it works I say go for it.

- Wolf

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2016, 04:39:53 PM »
I tend to use both brakes when coming to a stop, but I hold my front brake when stopped just to keep my bike steady, to signal to those behind me that my brake is engaged, and also because on my DT my bike will vibrate if I just hold the rear brake in. Seems to be a deign flaw. If you’re hit from behind at a good speed by a 4 wheeled vehicle, flipping over will be the least of your worries. However, comfort is connected to riding security and peace of mind. If it works I say go for it.

- Wolf

Vibration at rest while holding rear brake is not a design flaw. Just the small engine running vibration which was somewhat isolated down there - is now connected & felt through the brakes, rear wheel and into the chassis.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2016, 12:59:40 AM »
I have 49cc 2T's (People and Super 9 LC's) and the vibration doesn't bother me.  I guess 300cc single 4T would have a lot of vibration at idle with rear brake applied?

My son-n-law had Super 8 150 4T he didn't keep because of the lights and seat.  He especially didn't like the light going dim at idle, thought was dangerous.  So, he sold Super 8 150 and got Honda PCX 150, which has great lights and no vibration.  I still like my 49cc 2T Kymco's better than Honda, especially for the money.  Cheers
1st and 2nd usually have an unfair advantage.  3rd is usually the best, can learn the most from.  paraphrased from Don Quixote, over 400 years ago, still true today

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2016, 12:59:58 AM »
Thanks Stig.

It was a surprise for me the firs time I felt it. Never had the experience with my old Yager so my first impression was it was an unforeseen complication with the engine design. Still feels weird, so I just hold in the front brake.

- Wolf

mclark999

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2016, 03:27:06 PM »
I'll add a couple of things based on 1)riding my mom's 90cc 70's Vespa and 2)braking technique I learned in downhill mountain biking course.

1) That Vespa has horrible front end dive under braking. It shifted the weight, actually, kicked the weight forward. Almost felt like it was trying to launch the rear wheel off the ground. Your new scooter may dive more than your old. If it's bad, you might want to get a stiffer front spring.  Additionally, a firmer damper can help.

2) Our mountain bike teacher showed us that he could go from 20 mph to a dead stop in just one bike length. I went from about 10 bike lengths to about 2. Granted, there's a lot less weight on a bicycle, but the technique he taught was amazing. Basically you push your heels down below the pedal as you are coming to a stop while shifting your ass to the back of the bike. It drives both tires into the ground.  It's hard to do this on a scooter, but it is an active braking technique that will give your rear wheel more grip.

And like a  lot of other people said, slow before the corner, slightly accelerate out of it.

Be safe everyone!

Denver, Colorado, USA 5,300 Feet Elevation

2007 Kymco People 50 2T
Tecnigas Trek exhaust
OEM variator with 6 gram rollers
OEM 16mm carburetor

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()