Author Topic: Just got Super 8; How should I break it in?  (Read 4018 times)

Bad Turtle

• View Profile
Just got Super 8; How should I break it in?
« on: January 12, 2011, 10:45:39 PM »
Hello, BT here.
I just purchased a new 2010 Kymco Super 8 down here in tucson arizona and was wondering if anyone
has any suggestions on how to properly break the motor in. The manual says dont go over half
throttle for the first 300 miles. I can do that but I will probably get run over by someone!
Scoot'n Tucson, AZ
BT's Scooter Rags

birdmove

• View Profile
Re: Just got Super 8; How should I break it in?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 03:37:26 AM »

Also you want to vary the throttle often, as in don't just cruise around at the same speed. Also, ride a while and then take a break and let it cool down. In usually do a quick oil change and , in the case of these scooters, check the oli filter/screen for deposits. On my wife's SYM I believe I went ahead and changed oil at about 50-60 miles and checked the screen--it was fine. then I let the dealer do the first service. That was more to not be able to try and void the warranty because they didn't do the first service. Legally, I don't think they could void the warranty if you do the service yourself, but I didn't want to give them any amunition.

The ideal place to break in a scooter or motorcycle is probably just cruising around a neighborhood with lots of stop signs., some hills and such.

Others will chime in here I'm sure.

jon

glopezz05

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 05:32:48 AM »
Sage advice.... Yeah, short trips, lots of heating and cooling cycles.  Oil change often and don't keep it at full throttle all the time.
Im usually on a bicycle, so for me, this thing is hauling ass!

Bad Turtle

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 05:17:00 AM »
Thanks for the info guys. I am mostly in stop and go traffic so speeds are always changing. There
are a few faster sections where I am hitting around 50 mph or so but only for a mile or so, and then
I'm back in the bumper to bumper stuff. Also I stop every once in a while for a bite to eat and
let the scoot cool down. Winter in Tucson is nice and cool with the hottest part of the day around
65*F so it's a good time of year to break this motor in. Better than 104*F in the summer anyways.
Scoot'n Tucson, AZ
BT's Scooter Rags

glopezz05

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 02:45:25 PM »
Sounds good.  Keep it up and make sure to post some pics for us. 
Im usually on a bicycle, so for me, this thing is hauling ass!

Portland Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 10:08:52 PM »
Eh, sounds like you'll be fine.  As long as you are not crazy on the throttle, it will break in fine.
Change your oil after the 300 miles.  Boom, done.

societyofrobots

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 01:26:22 AM »
Should the mph be kept to some limit? I know on the 50cc's you're supposed to slowly ramp up from 15mph to 30mph over 500 miles or so . . . ie 15mph for first 100, 20mph for next 100, etc . . .

When can I say the break-in period is finished?

Portland Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2011, 11:06:05 PM »
Just keep it at around 40 mph max for 300 miles.
Make sure that you vary the speed a lot.
After 300 miles, work it up to the bikes maximum speed (full throttle) in a similar way for 100 miles or so.
Be sure to change the oil.
These are not particularly sophisticated engines and are fairly "bullet proof" as they say.
No big deal.

bigjames

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 12:27:21 AM »
Yeah I had the same question, I live like 30 miles away from the dealer where I'm making the purchase and for id say 3/4 of the way back to my house its 35 mph long roads too. Will I be okay just fluctuating mph and maybe stopping halfway and letting it rest?

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()