Author Topic: Warning---rear brake calipher FELL OFF!!  (Read 697 times)

john grinsel

• View Profile
Warning---rear brake calipher FELL OFF!!
« on: October 18, 2020, 05:10:26 PM »
I seldom take my bikes to shop....for good reason....you usually have to do work over to get it right!

My 2019 XTown 300I----left in shop....belt cover stuck on rear axle ( figured warranty, maybe) since bike was there (35 miles from home) had them mount new rear tire/change drive belt.  Bike worked fine on ride home.

TODAY: went for ride, left freeway noticed NO REAR BRAKE!!  Stopped found Calipher rear had fallen off!!, Tied Calipher off and up----home about 15 miles away, riding carefully!

My fault for not checking all fasteners when I got home, even though I had paid them to do it!  And this is good bike shop I went to.... Fix, see if I have some bolts that will work, Tues. go to shop, order 2 of the correct bolts.   I have had shop failures in US and Germany.  Never in Japan or Korea.   Maybe next bike will buy from dealer in my neighborhood.---that sure means there will never be another Vespa in my future or Kymco?

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
Warning---rear brake calipher FELL OFF!!
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2020, 05:13:31 PM »
That’s a scary story John, but glad you’re OK and able to recount the tale.

As you rightly say, always a good idea to check fasteners- especially on vital components like calipers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 05:17:39 PM by Neil955i »
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

MJR

• View Profile
Re: Warning---rear brake calipher FELL OFF!!
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2020, 05:30:48 PM »
Glad you are ok but that sucks. I do not trust anyone to work on my stuff this from working as a mechanic seeing what my coworkers had done in addition to seeing work done on family/friends vehicles. It a sad thing.
'03 Clipper Yellow Honda Reflex
'03 Coast Cyan Atlantic 500
'14 White MyRoad 700i
'09 Mirage White Burgman 650
'06 Oort Gray Burgman 650 project
'05 Sonic Silver Burgman 650 project
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650, rebuilt/upgraded CVT w/Polish adapter
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650 parts bike

Snorvey

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2020, 06:47:12 PM »
I've heard of multiple dealer failures - the most expensive (at the time) was a V4 800cc Honda put in for its first service. Dealer handed the keys back afterwards punter headed of down the road only for the motor to go pop.

They had drained the engine oil, popped the drain bolt back in, but forgot to put new oil in. And the dealer still argued the issue.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2020, 07:11:03 PM »
Sea stories are from sailors that relate to that sailor's experiences. Some are true. Hangar stories are from pilot's experiences and some of them are true, too. Especially the hangar story related to the Annual Inspection. What is the most dangerous time to fly an airplane? Right after the Annual Inspection! That is the time that a pilot needs to do his very best pre-flight inspection. Every tiny to major thing that can be seen without using any tools beyond what is required for a normal preflight. My particular book of stories ranged from inspection access covers adrift or missing to low elctrolyte in the battery. You find one screw-up you look for more.

Same should be true for anything that goes into a shop. The main question is: Is it as good or better as it was before the shop had it? Especially these days. The owner/operator is the final word but the o/o must do his inspection BEFORE he leaves the shop area! 'Cause once he leaves he has bought to own every mistake that shop made.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2020, 07:50:45 PM »
here's my rear brake caliper story, I was on vacation at Deal's Gap on my SV650 with a group of friends, the night before, I swapped out a dirt tire for a street tire (mounted on wheels)  The next day, about 90 miles from our rental house, I was not keeping up with the group, and rode right past them when they pulled unto a restaurant for lunch

One of the guys started to chase me down, after about 5 miles, I caught a glimpse in my mirror, and hit the brakes, I thought I threw the chain, it was a loud crunching noise after I came to a stop (this all happened leaned over mid corner @ 65mph±)

apparently, the night before, I fergot the cotter pin in the bolt between the trailing arm, and the caliper. when I hit the rear brake, disconnected from the trailing arm, it began to rotate with the wheel, first, it stretched the brakeline to the point it snapped, then it continued to rotate till it slammed into the swingarm, with such force, the caliper mount broke

Sending the caliper flying outward, till it hit the wheel, with enough force, to put a 6" gash in the wheel,  and my buddy wanted me to plug it with chewing gum

Luckily there was one person in the group that didn't go on the ride, he was there in 2 hrs, to rescue me, got my bike back to repair shop, just as he was closing, he has it welded up, and my other wheel on, with tires swapped. The wheel was repairable, so after vacation, I had that done   
RandyO
IBA#9560

scooterfan

• Durban, South Africa to Ankeny IA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2020, 07:10:56 AM »
I've heard of multiple dealer failures - the most expensive (at the time) was a V4 800cc Honda put in for its first service. Dealer handed the keys back afterwards punter headed of down the road only for the motor to go pop.

They had drained the engine oil, popped the drain bolt back in, but forgot to put new oil in. And the dealer still argued the issue.

This might sound a bit weird but I am actually kind of glad these kind of things happen in other countries as well.
When I once mentioned that I don’t trust mechanics in our country on this forum I was bashed for not trusting mechanics in my own country lol
Life is a journey. Just spend some time, and enjoy the trip.

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2020, 07:15:42 AM »
Oh I think idiocy on the part of technicians knows no borders!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Snorvey

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2020, 08:29:57 AM »
you know, it would be handy if they had some sort of checklist to work off.  ::)

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2020, 12:46:12 PM »
Fix, see if I have some bolts that will work, Tues. go to shop, order 2 of the correct bolts.

John, please tell me that you aren't going to have to buy the replacement bolts yourself? Surely the shop will take responsibility for their mistake?
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 - work in progress

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2020, 12:54:28 PM »
Will visit shop on Tues morning.  Proper fix is replace calipher (threads are a bit screwed up, looks like to me bolt driven in with air gun--no feeling) proper bolts.   I am sure they have insurance for things like this.  Brakes pretty important things!

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2020, 02:02:58 PM »
Good luck John.  I hope they see you right!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2020, 05:09:54 PM »
John it's actually spelled caliper
'03 Clipper Yellow Honda Reflex
'03 Coast Cyan Atlantic 500
'14 White MyRoad 700i
'09 Mirage White Burgman 650
'06 Oort Gray Burgman 650 project
'05 Sonic Silver Burgman 650 project
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650, rebuilt/upgraded CVT w/Polish adapter
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650 parts bike

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2020, 07:24:59 PM »
I worry more about braking than spelling---I do speak 3  languages, too.

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2020, 07:12:40 AM »
I worry more about braking than spelling---I do speak 3  languages, too.
As a monolingual Brit (I don’t count my schoolboy French), I’m jealous!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()